Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Degree of difficulty

Last response: in Networking
April 24, 2010 10:49:31 PM

I am an older American but can usually follow instructions, I have a Pavillion Desktop running Windows Vista Home Premium and Comcast internet service. I recently bought a Presario laptop running Windows 7 Home Premium. Bought a Netgear basic router. Connected router to my Motorola modem, desktop to router, ran the setups and both computers are running fine with internet access, desktop wired and laptop wireless. I created an SSID network name and a password for the router, and the laptop is set for Homegroup and I have a password with it. The desktop information says 'Workgroup'.
How difficult is it going to be to complete this network, i.e. recognize the laptop from the desktop and vice-versa and copy or transfer a limited number of files, documents? Do I need a USB flashdrive for the desktop or any other hardware and will a Wizard do most of this for me? Would it be less headache just to put a few files on disk and insert it into the laptop? Thanks for any input.

More about : degree difficulty

a b D Laptop
April 24, 2010 11:14:51 PM

You CAN'T USE THE HOMEGROUP,settings you have to change the windows 7 back to workgroup or you won't be able to share files between the 2!
m
l
a b D Laptop
April 24, 2010 11:16:17 PM

In your network and sharing settings you need to leave the homegroup , because vista does not recognize this!
m
l
Related resources
April 24, 2010 11:50:55 PM

ok I begin now tks
m
l

Best solution

a b D Laptop
April 24, 2010 11:53:53 PM

If my suggestions help please vote best answer!
April 25, 2010 12:46:56 AM

Best answer selected by codger48.
m
l
April 25, 2010 12:52:00 AM

windows 7 (laptop) is now a workgroup. Checking network connections I can see the router on each computer but not the other computer, Desktop is connected to Network 7 and laptop is connected to name for my wireless network, What to do? Do I go to router to enable something?
m
l
a b D Laptop
April 25, 2010 3:34:06 AM

make sure network discovery is enabled on the computers in the network
m
l
a b D Laptop
April 25, 2010 3:34:40 AM

this is in the network and sharing center
m
l
April 25, 2010 5:09:19 AM

Discovery is enabled, but HP tells me I need a wireless adapter for my Desktop. Is that right?
m
l
a b D Laptop
April 25, 2010 2:33:24 PM

Does your desktop still have the ethernet plugged into it!
m
l
April 25, 2010 2:58:36 PM

Also, you might want to go into control panel>administration tools>services and make sure at least one is running the computer browser service.

Even if they're in different workgroups or not registered w/ a master browser they can be accessed by going into "My Computer" and typing \\computer-ip-address. Also, firewalls can block the other computers from registering with the master browser.

IMO, Netbios is clunky and has been since it's inception... I lol at the way Netbios name registration works more smoothly in OS X and SAMBA than Windows.
m
l
April 25, 2010 4:17:47 PM

Yes, ethernet still plugged to desktop from router. I guess what I don't understand is whether the router acts like an interface between the desktop and the wireless or just routes the internet to each.
m
l
a b D Laptop
April 25, 2010 5:49:09 PM

i'm at work,i'll be on later
m
l
!