Compactflash Format Problems

Last response: in Digital Camera
January 4, 2005 2:38:02 PM

I have a SanDisk Ultra II 512MB Compactflash card that I have used in
my Nikon 3100. Recently when I turned the camera on the card was not
recognized and I was asked if I wanted to format in the camera. I
tried that but the card is still not usable in the camera.

Attempting to get it to work I have formatted the card under XP in both
FAT and FAT32 format. The card formats and is readable as a removable
disk either way but the funny thing is I can only format the card as
232 MB - incorrect capacity. I have tried to specify different cluster
sizes but it makes no difference.

I was having some trouble with a different card reader where a pin
broke and the contacts on the SanDisk card do look a little marred -
not sure it it might affect part of the card but not the whole thing?

Any ideas on how to get full capacity out of the card (back to 512MB
when I format under XP) and then get it to work in the camera gain?

TIA
Anonymous
January 4, 2005 7:35:40 PM

jk9401@myway.com wrote:

> Any ideas on how to get full capacity out of the card (back to 512MB
> when I format under XP) and then get it to work in the camera gain?

http://www.sandisk.com/retail/ultra2-cf.asp

"Advanced Features:
[...]
* Lifetime Warranty."

There is even a little picture of a check-mark and the words "lifetime
warranty". Do you need an even larger clue?
Anonymous
January 5, 2005 12:29:07 AM

<eawckyegcy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> jk9401@myway.com wrote:
>
>> Any ideas on how to get full capacity out of the card (back to 512MB
>> when I format under XP) and then get it to work in the camera gain?
>
> http://www.sandisk.com/retail/ultra2-cf.asp
>
> "Advanced Features:
> [...]
> * Lifetime Warranty."
>
> There is even a little picture of a check-mark and the words "lifetime
> warranty". Do you need an even larger clue?

The op is playing games. If the card doesn't format in the camera, the first
thing is to try another card. If that formats you have a problem with the
card which you aren't going to fix, so do as the post above suggests. I'm
saying what would it mean if the card did format in xp but not in the
camera, you would then have some spare memory for your computer but a bum
camera! Given a choice, I'll take the bad card every time.
Dave Cohen
!