sg3msmith

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2007
I just upgraded to a Q9650 (I had a 7200 that was overclocked with water cooling on a a 775 MOBO ASROCK P45 XE that I have water-cooled and I plan to heavily overclock).

I changed the to the Q9650 processor and now I cannot get the system to boot. When I installed my original VISTA disk it manually loaded the files but eventually I got a blue screen of death and it goes into a continuous loop that will not allow me to boot. Any suggestions?

sg3msmith

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2007

Reseated the CPU. No pins are damaged.

If I boot from DVD with Windows Vista in drive it loads manually and when it gets to the end of "Windows is loading files" it will revert back to try to reload. Watercooling has nothing to do with this as my E7200 was running over 3 Ghz on watercooling on this same motherboard.

sg3msmith

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2007

When running a reboot from Windows off the disk it says: "Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:

1. Insert your Windows installations disk and restart your computer.
2. Choose your language settings and then Click Next.
3. Click Repair your computer.

I am assuming that is the original install disk and when I try to do this it will not give my the repair menu.

I have done the repair before as I have changed CPU's several times.

As you stated the ASROCK site also says the 1.4 version of Bios I have should work.

I am lost!!!

sg3msmith

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2007

Starting to wonder if the CPU is bad? The rest of the hardware ran perfectly before this CPU change.

sg3msmith

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2007
Computer goes thru boot up and then says the following file is possibly corrupt

File:\Windows\system32\winload.exe

Info: The file is possibly corrupt. Its header checksum does not match the computed checksum.

It says I should put in the install disk and "Repair your computer" but when I hit enter I get Windows Boot Manager and the Windows Memory diagnostic as the only option.

What gives?

4745454b

Titan
If the CPU is used, no telling what OCing abuse it might have suffered.

I haven't played with vista, but there should be some sort of repair option. You could do the repair install method if you need to. Put your disk in and tell it you want to install it. It will ask for what drive/partition, point it to EXACTLY the partition that your current build is on. It SHOULD find your windows build and offer to repair it, say yes. Don't be alarmed when it looks like it is over writing your windows, you want it to. If it does NOT find your windows, cancel.

sg3msmith

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2007
So a questions for everyone:

If the VISTA install is telling me to repair the install and use the original install disk and the original install was XP but now upgraded to VISTA do I use the XP disk because I get nothing when I try to use the VISTA disk?

please help!

sg3msmith

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2007
OK so I installed a SATA drive I had and did a clean install of XP (as my VISTA disk is an upgrade-plan to upgrade the XP install later) and everything works but after installing XP I get a BSOD that IRQL LESS THAN OR EQUAL. Now I am statting to wonder about the memory, but how can the memory work fine with the ASROCK P45XE MB when I had the E7200 installed and ten all of a sudden it won't work with the Q9650?

I am really at a loss for what to do? PLEASE HELP!!!!

sg3msmith

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2007
i missed it so i'm sorry but, if you re-install the old processor does the unit then boot and running normally.?

Have not tried that yet. I have unplugged the multiple SATA drives and dropped the RAM to 4 GB in an effort to see if something else was the issue.

4745454b

Titan
But you don't have XP, you have Vista, so you need to use that disk. I have no idea why it won't load Vista off that disk. Dirty? Try a different drive?

I also have no idea why you can't answer simple question. I get the feeling I'm taking a break from this thread soon.

sg3msmith

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2007
I had XP originally and loaded VISTA as an upgrade.

So this must be a BIOS issue even though the ASROCK website says that BIOS P1.40 will work with this processor. I re-installed the E7200 processor and the machine took off.

So I will have to flash the BIOS and see if that helps.