Sign in with
Your question

First build thoughts please

Last response: in CPUs
December 14, 2010 12:03:58 AM

Hi all i am new here obviously. I am going to be embarking down the path of building my own system. my gaming requirements surpassed my old hp laptop with a mere 2.2ghz C2D, nvidia 9200m and 4gig of ram. this will be my first PC build i am wanting something that i will be able to grow into as my needs increase and change. basically im trying to go total over kill on everything. here is a list of my proposed setup.

Antec 900 2 case
Antec TPQ-1000 PSU
Asus rampage 3 board
INTEL CORE i7-975 EXTREME
2 nVidia GeForce 260 GTX 896MB with sli bridge
6GB Patriot Gaming RAM 3X 2GB DDR3 1600
500gb HD of some type
and misc dvd/r drives

While the thought of the i7-975 EXTREME processor excites me, it may be a little spendy for my budget! considering my novice status do you think i would be just as happy with the more reasonably priced Core i7-950?? also i was wondering about cooling, i am all for protecting my investments but have never thought the idea of running liquids into my 1000.00 plus machine was a good idea. that being said is a liquid cooling system going to be necessary for this setup? or will air cooling be sufficient? as far as assembly goes is there anything i need to be cautious of other than static and cleanliness? everything should be plug and play for the most part correct??

thanks to all in advance for any comments or advice
this seems like a great site that i am glad i found.

thanks again

More about : build thoughts

a b à CPUs
December 14, 2010 12:32:20 AM

I would not consider this instead I would wait until January until the new Intel Sandy Bridge CPU's are out then I would choose the Core i7-2600K CPU instead ( a lot less expensive and more powerful if over clocked) to build a platform on.You can fore go SLI if you chose a beefier single more powerful and newer GPU instead.
m
l
a c 81 à CPUs
December 14, 2010 12:40:20 AM

Since you are worried about your notice status, the simplest thing you can do is provide us info on your budget and requirements.. Then let us try and build you a worthy pc.. Also, as mentioned by jj463rd, newer tech is going to launch pretty soon.. So it'll be good if you can wait for sometime..
m
l
Related resources
December 14, 2010 12:57:38 AM

my budget is around 1500.00 my requirements will be to play BF2 PR and arma2 on the highest settings. while playing Project Reality on my current system it will only render a visual for about 1000meters i am hoping to be able to see the whole map on the new system. i already have the case and i can get the 2 gtx 260s used for about 200.00, my goal is to build the baddest pc i can for the lowest cost. i would not be opposed to waiting for these new processors to come out, i assume they will be the same 1366 socket as the current i7s??
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 14, 2010 1:01:43 AM

No it would be a completely different socket type Socket 1155 and new motherboards.
m
l
December 14, 2010 1:05:38 AM

hmm maybe i will wait then. glad you told me i was literally a click away from ordering the 1366MB =D
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 14, 2010 1:43:42 AM

Well I'm not sure about the price of the i7-2600k but it will be somewhere in the $300 range. I do see a link here not sure if it's completely accurate.
http://www.overclock.net/intel-cpus/875115-i7-2600k-pri...

The Socket 1155 boards should be less expensive than the socket 1366 ones.
The money that you save here on both of these could be spent on a very powerful high end single graphics card and still leave you with some extra money left over for other components.Stay tuned here and read more articles when these are released.I am sure that you will get a much more powerful system for less money.
You will probably want a high end CPU Heatsink/Fan for this upcoming CPU in addition.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 14, 2010 3:05:39 AM

PRguy said:
what would you reccomend somthing like this? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I think Tom's Hardware had a previous review of those closed system liquid coolers.They did O.K. however some high end air coolers did beat it in some cooling tests.If one wants to go much further they would opt for phase change cooling although those units are too costly for most.

Others would probably pitch in later and recommend a better high end air cooling heatsink/fan for you.
Just come back and check with us again in a month on this very subject if you can wait.

Edit here is the review.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-h70-liquid-...
m
l
a c 81 à CPUs
December 14, 2010 7:17:43 AM

Its not only Sandy Bridge that you must wait for.. Even AMD is releasing new cards very soon.. There are current high end cards which surpass the performance of two GTX 260's single handedly.. The launch of new cards should really bring about some nice price drops which will enable you to get one of those high end cards with all the latest features at not a great deal extra cost..
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 14, 2010 7:33:50 AM

^ +1
Indeed don't consider getting older crappy parts.
m
l
!