Please help with build.. buying tomorrow!

G

Anything weird you see on this build? Im buying tomorrow and its the first time I build a PC.. and its a SLI Build with a pair of GTX470
Please help me if you see something not working..

i7 930
Gigabyte Ga-x58a-ud3r
Corsair Dominator Pc3-12800 Ddr3 6gb 3x2gb
Scythe Mugen 2 Rev.b Cpu Cooler (enough to cool sli gtx470 heat? plus the case fans of course)
Cooler Master Haf 922 (good case? will sli gtx470 fit inside? read its good for cooling..)
Corsair Hx750 750w Modular (enough for sli gtx470?)
Gigabyte Geforce Gtx470 1280mb Gddr5 X 2
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy Se Oem
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1tb Sata2 Maestro
Asus Drw-22b2st Dvd Sata 22x

Thanks for your time!

moody89

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
Just a few things really:

A lot of people here will recommend the CM Hyper 212+ over the Scythe Mugen 2 CPU cooler you pointed to. It performs better and is cheaper. Also bear in mind that it only cools your CPU not your graphics cards.

The HAF922 is a very good case and will easily fit two GTX470s in SLi - the cards are only 9.5 inches long.

The Corsair is a fantastic unit and 750W is about right for two GTX470's at full load. If you have the cash to spare though it may be worth upgrading to the HX850 just for the headroom and the fact that PSUs ar emore efficient at less than their rated load.

Is there any particular reason you need a discrete sound card? Nowadays, onboard audio solutions ar emore than enough for the majority of users (the CPU does most of the processing). The only real need for a dedicated card is if you're doing a lot of audio work etc.

All in all it's a nice looking build.

moody89

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
One thing I forgot to add is that the Corsair Dominator memory you pointed to has pretty high heatspreader fins which may interfere with a larger CPU cooler that overhangs the memory slots. You can opt for lower profile memory to be on the safe side.

G

Hey thanks for reply! 2 questions:

-So can I ensure the GTX470 cards dont go too hot? Adding more fans on the case? Any other solution?

I think the HAF 922 doesnt come will all fans included, is that all I can do to help GPU dont overheat?

-Any memory that you recommend?

-Do I have to use thermal paste? not really sure what it is..

Thanks for your time and help!

moody89

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
The GTX 470's come with their own cooling solution (heatsink and fan unit) pre-assembled on the cards themselves. Most modern graphics cards have this to help cooling. However, the better the airflow through your case the cooler all of your system components will be. So to answer your question, yes more case fans will lower the temps of your GPU.

The HAF 922 has the following fan assembly:

1 x 200mm Front Intake Fan (Red LED)
1 x 200mm Top Exhaust Fan
1 x 120mm Rear Exhaust Fan

This should be more than adequate cooling for most users however, you have the option of installing the following:

120mm/140mm Bottom Intake Fan (also recommend you get a filter for this one if you use it)
200mm Side Intake Fan (may be a good idea if you wish to 'spot-cool' your graphics cards.

As for memory, the G-Skill Ripjaw series have great performance for their price but see what deals you can find on NewEgg etc. just make sure it's a reputable brand. Lower CAS timings are often more beneficial than higher speeds.

Thermal paste is absolutely essential:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_interface_material

I'm pretty sure the majority of aftermarket coolers either come with pre-applied paste or have some in the box for you to use. It's always handy to have some around just in case though. Follow the application instructions that come with the cooler.

Hope this helps and good luck!

G

Thanks so much again for your fast replies, I think I have everything I need now :)

G

Sorry its me again, this memory is better?
Corsair Xms3 Pc3-12800 Ddr3 1600 6gb 3x2gb Cl9

Thanks moody!

moody89

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
That memory is a fair bit smaller than the dominators you linked to first of all and so you should avoid any potential pitfalls with it. You may just need to install the memory before the cooler but its hard to say and depends on motherboard layout etc. Corsair make some of the best memory around so you have a safe bet there. Hope this helps and good luck!