Alienware M15x

Ok so i made a deal with my mom that if i get honor roll in school i will get a laptop and i am getting an M15x so she said i would have to pay for 1/2 of it. So i need someone to make the cheapest and best specs for me so i am not paying 1000 and my mom too (she wouldnt be happy.) And just so you know my bro has an asus and when it breaks he said i could have the gtx 260M for my alienware instead of paying 400 for the upgrade. so either the cheapest ATI card or the 240M w/ 512MB video memory for now.
14 answers Last reply
More about alienware m15x
  1. You can't upgrade the graphics card on a laptop.
  2. well i just went on and got my specs so wadda ya think

Intel® Core™ i5-540M 2.53GHz (3.06Ghz Turbo Mode, 3M cache)
    Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English
    512MB GDDR3 NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 240M
    15.6-inch WideHD+ 1600x900 (900p) WLED
    4GB Dual Channel Memory (2x 2GB DDR3)
    250GB SATAII 7,200RPM
    Slot-Load Dual Layer DVD Burner (DVD+-RW, CD-RW)
    Watch High Definition with an internal Blu-Ray player
    Primary - 6-cell (56Watt) Lithium-Ion Battery
    Intel WiFi Link 5300 802.11AGN Half Mini Card
    Alienware M15x, Cosmic Black
    AlienFX Quasar Blue
    Alienhead 3DSteam and Portal™ Factory Installed
    Internal High-Definition 5.1 Surround Sound Audio
    Internal Bluetooth 2.1 Mini-Card - 2.1 Enhanced Data Rate
    Automatic Updates: On
    Standard Nameplate

I will change personalization just tell me if i can lower something or if i have to add something
  3. What games do you play most often?
  4. zach538467 said:
    You can't upgrade the graphics card on a laptop.

I thought if you take out the cooling system on the M15x you can change it out
  5. i dont i am going to start because you cant take an xbox in a car and play it
  6. I suppose "can't" isn't exactly the right word:) It's difficult, you have to unsolder the old chip from the motherboard and solder the new one in. I am not sure about Alienware's BIOS ect...but you also have to make sure that you could get drivers that would work with your machine. I'd check for sure though, because a GT 240M is relatively weak if that is your main computer(mine has the 210M, and it get's by, but not good enough that I'd want to play on it very long:)) Other than that it looks good. You could probably save money if you went with ASUS.
  7. yeah my bros is pretty sweet but i really want the alienware. but what about switching the 4GB ram for 3GB and adding the ATI card. i know i can upgrade the ram so i will get prolly 8GB corsair later on but for now will 3GB work
  8. 3GB would probably get you by for now until you can upgrade. I'd try to go for the 5850 if you can, the 5730 isn't a huge improvement over the 240. Check this page out: http://www.notebookcheck.net/Comparison-of-Graphic-Cards.130.0.html
  9. well i was researchin and i am gonna get a sager u have a brand i shud look at. I picked sager because i was able to get better card more RAM I7 with more power and everything before 1300
  10. correction berfore going 1.1k
  11. Display 15.6" HD Display with Super Glossy Surface (1366 x 768)
    Video & Graphics Card 1GB DDR3 Nvidia GeForce GT 330M GPU with Optimus Technology / Embedded Intel HD Graphics with Shared Memory up to 1.7GB
    CPU Processor Intel® Core™ i5-520M Processor ( 32nm, 3MB L3 Cache, 2.40GHz / 2.93GHz Turbo Mode ) [$60.00]
    Thermal Compound IC Diamond 7 Thermal Compound - CPU + GPU [$20.00]
    Operating System Genuine MS Windows® 7 Home Premium 32/64-Bit Edition ( 64-Bit Preloaded )
    Memory 6GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1066MHz - 1 X 4GB + 1 X 2GB [$80.00]
    Primary Hard Disk Drive 640GB 5400rpm SATA 300 Hard Drive [$40.00]
    Optical Drive 8X DVD±R/RW/4X +DL Super-Multi Drive & Software
    Wireless Network Card Internal 802.11 B+G+N Wireless LAN Module
    Bluetooth Internal Bluetooth V2.1 Module
    Primary Battery Smart Li-ION Battery Pack (6 Cells 62.16WH)
    Integrated Security Device Fingerprint Reader
    Microsoft Office New! Microsoft Office Starter 2010 - Included in Price
    Warranty Sager 1 Year Limited Parts and Labor Warranty
    Calculate Shipping & Tax
    Zip Code:
    Sub Total: $1,099.00
    Sales Tax: $0.00
    Shipping: $0.00
    Total: $1,099.00

hows that sound compared to alienware
  12. Much better deal. I haven't had much experience with Sager, but from what I have read they are good. I have no love for Dell, so anything other than an Alienware gets the vote from me:)
  13. ok well now i just need honor roll for my mom 2 pay half
  14. Work hard dude. It'll pay off with a laptop *and* knowledge:)
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Alienware Systems