Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Virtual PC

Last response: in Networking
April 24, 2010 11:33:24 PM

how can i create a virtual network on virtual PC using windows 2003 server standard edition and 2 xp pro virtual machines

More about : virtual

April 26, 2010 2:06:13 PM

What is your goal - what do you need to have happen?

Each VM you create will have an IP address. You should be able to communicate between the machines as if they were standard machines on a network.
m
l
Related resources
May 7, 2010 12:34:15 AM

[/quote]
gtvr said:
What is your goal - what do you need to have happen?

Each VM you create will have an IP address. You should be able to communicate between the machines as if they were standard machines on a network.

Okay im studyin MCSE,so i just need a server VM and 2 xp VMs to carry out practice exercises/labs,nothing fancy , they just need to communicate with each other as though it were in a real networking enviroment:)  so just need to know if there are any configurations required for Virtual Pc in order for my request to work
m
l
May 7, 2010 12:35:51 AM

Oh and any links that you know of that can show me how to setup a 2003 server from scratch
m
l
May 7, 2010 11:37:40 AM

Windows 2003 is listed as "unsupported" under Virtual PC. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Virtual_PC#Support... - it may work, but it may not. You could look at some of the vmware products - vmware player now supports creating VMs and supports a whole range of guest OSs. I've used it myself, I like the interface/controls better anyways.

Just google "windows server 2003 setup" and you'll find a ton of guides.
m
l
May 7, 2010 12:21:58 PM

okay thanks for the help,really appreciate it
m
l
May 9, 2010 5:17:34 PM

Virtual PC can support Microsoft Server OS's. I used it for a school project to run Server 2003 with SharePoint and it worked out fine for me. Just make sure you are using the latest version of Virtual PC.

Anyway, to run your virtual pc's within their own network, you just have to make sure that the VM network settings are set to "Local Only". You also have to make sure the IP's are all on the same network and subnet.
m
l
May 12, 2010 7:59:52 PM

Thanks guys for the help,really appreciate it....And thanks Vanilla all i had to do to get it networked was to set it to "local only"...thanks again
m
l

Best solution

May 13, 2010 12:31:12 AM

No problem

Best answer? lol
May 13, 2010 8:45:09 AM

Best answer selected by Quad777.
m
l
!