Sign in with
Your question
Solved

SupremeFX

Last response: in Components
December 14, 2010 3:18:18 AM

Hi all,
I have an ASUS Crosshair that came with a SupremeFX sound card.
I am going to purchase an ASUS M4N98TD evo motherboard. I need to know if this sound card will go in the new motherboard.
The Crosshair manual shows the audio slot as "Audio" not as a PCI slot.

More about : supremefx

December 14, 2010 3:46:12 AM

Found out it is NOT a SupremeFX sound card. It is an audio riser that uses the Xfi software. So I'll find out if it is any good when I get the new stuff.
I think ASUS has lied to us again.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
December 14, 2010 11:41:19 AM

I believe the FX uses a special slot, as you indicated.

No idea why they even include it though; their own Xonar line is better...
m
l
Related resources
December 17, 2010 3:30:57 AM

Thanks.
Ordered the new stuff today. Might even buy a better sound card later.
Regards from Mike.
m
l
December 17, 2010 7:24:14 AM

You have a built-in audio and it is good one, why do you need a sound card for?
m
l
December 18, 2010 1:36:32 AM

dEAne said:
You have a built-in audio and it is good one, why do you need a sound card for?

Ahhh...! Sorry. Didn't know I had a good one. I presume you mean on my newly ordered MoBo.
I'll use it if it is good enough. Just haven't got it yet.
m
l

Best solution

a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
December 19, 2010 11:35:07 AM

Quote:
The PCI slot marked as soundcard slot is necessary 'from asus' in order for the riser card to work. Asus speculates that people who buy an ROG board will use the given riser card solution, thas why they've marked the first PCI-E x1 slot as sound (in the manual). For the ROG boards, you can disable the onboard sound via BIOS and then you populate the PCI-E x1 (mean't for the riser card) with any x1 slotted soundcard of your choice.

Before we get on to answer, the onbard vs. dedicated soundcard...we'll need to know your speaker setup.

getting a good soundcard and hooking it up to a cheap speaker setup won;t show much of a gain in terms of sound quality. And your mem config is a lil dry to go on info :p 

Oh and if your interested in switching the riser to another board, think again, people on other forums did it with no success. The risercard needs a designated onbaord chip and a slot that recognizes the riser cards signature. Using the riser card on another mobo will just waste a slot in your PC case.
December 25, 2010 3:51:37 AM

Lutfij said:
Quote:
The PCI slot marked as soundcard slot is necessary 'from asus' in order for the riser card to work. Asus speculates that people who buy an ROG board will use the given riser card solution, thas why they've marked the first PCI-E x1 slot as sound (in the manual). For the ROG boards, you can disable the onboard sound via BIOS and then you populate the PCI-E x1 (mean't for the riser card) with any x1 slotted soundcard of your choice.

Before we get on to answer, the onbard vs. dedicated soundcard...we'll need to know your speaker setup.

getting a good soundcard and hooking it up to a cheap speaker setup won;t show much of a gain in terms of sound quality. And your mem config is a lil dry to go on info :p 

Oh and if your interested in switching the riser to another board, think again, people on other forums did it with no success. The risercard needs a designated onbaord chip and a slot that recognizes the riser cards signature. Using the riser card on another mobo will just waste a slot in your PC case.

Sorry if this is a late bit of info, but the Asus Crosshair died. I replaced it with an Asus M4N98TD evo and a Phenom2 X4 965 and 4g of DDR3. The rig is running fine and I use the onboard sound with Logitec 530 speaker setup.
Thanks to all and have a merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
December 25, 2010 6:20:02 AM

^ bummer, i hope you gave it a proper burial :p 
m
l
January 2, 2011 9:00:48 AM

Lutfij said:
^ bummer, i hope you gave it a proper burial :p 

Yep. In the bin with a lot of other useless junk. I did remove the fancy heatsink to give to a copper collector.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
January 2, 2011 5:00:38 PM

:lol: 
m
l
January 10, 2011 9:24:14 AM

The Crosshair died, anyway, so I had to get an Asus M4N98TD evo, 2x2g DDR3 ram and a P2 965 BE, so I'm still using onboard sound.
m
l
January 12, 2011 12:38:55 AM

Best answer selected by cespenar.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
January 13, 2011 7:57:51 AM

and Thank YOU for the vote!
m
l