Sign in with
Your question

Gainward GTX 460 Golden Sample GLH

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 11, 2010 8:12:07 AM

I need a new GPU, and a gtx 460 would be the best option for me (good walue, low power and heat, and good SLI scaling)

but what about the Gainward GTX 460 Golden Sample GLH?? the reviews i have read it performes between 10-20% faster than a stock gtx 460.

but what about its power consumption?? how much more power does i use compared to a 460 stock??

and can you "mix" it with a stock 460 in a SLI configuration???
August 11, 2010 8:25:47 AM

Looks like under load it would be ~30watt more than stock gtx460 1gb. Check this review, tested card is from different manufacturer but it has similar operating frequencies, so i think their power consumption would b pretty close as well:
http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=25712&page=1...
a b U Graphics card
August 11, 2010 8:34:54 AM

and to the second question, yes you could SLI it with a stock 460, but the Gold would downclock to the lower levels, essentially forfeiting the perf increase you'd get from its higher clocks.
Related resources
August 11, 2010 8:39:53 AM

welshmousepk said:
and to the second question, yes you could SLI it with a stock 460, but the Gold would downclock to the lower levels, essentially forfeiting the perf increase you'd get from its higher clocks.

well that sort of ruins it all....... bbut i guess two Golden Sample GLH in sli would be no problem....
August 11, 2010 8:42:15 AM

Absolutely correct , keep in mind that its always better to sli/crossfire identical cards with identical bioses to be on the safe side. Different bioses may cause conflicts sometimes.
a b U Graphics card
August 11, 2010 9:14:01 AM

I would recommend you just get two reference 460, they will already have excellent performance even if they don't overclock well. but you may find you can overclock them above and beyond the GLH chips.
August 11, 2010 9:20:33 AM

Yep, agree with welshmousepk, and if i was you i would just go for 768mb versions like this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Cause when in sli there is not as much of a difference between 768Mb and 1gb versions as between single cards. Its just fantastic value, and they overclock like crazy.
August 11, 2010 5:38:37 PM

thanks for the advice!!

I had noticed that i SLI there are not much between 768's and 1 gb versions.

The reason why i asked about the GLH versions are basicly i know nothing about overclocking!! so I saw this as a way of getting more performance from the gtx 460.

a b U Graphics card
August 11, 2010 5:48:13 PM

Isnt the Gainward Golden GLH just a rebranded Palit Sonic Platinum?

If I was you, just get the cheapest 768M GTX460 and OC it.
August 11, 2010 9:37:29 PM

overclocking isnt very complicated just download msi afterburner and move couple of sliders to find stable overclock, I think with gtx460 sli you wont need any overclocking any time soon, only if u want to have some fun and find out what your cards can do :)  id choose one of those manufacturers with lifetime warranty: evga, sparkle, zotac or pny... sparkle is on sale now btw.
!