Sign in with
Your question

I think my cpu has run its course

Last response: in CPUs
December 14, 2010 5:53:22 AM

Hello, I rebuilt my amd 64 3200+ system and I think the cpu is on its way out it idles at 70c and 117c on a flash video before tripping the temp fault on the motherboard. Everything is running stock speeds and a fresh install, Is the CPU shot? and yes the heatsink is installed properly btw it hits 100+ just sitting in bios and then shuts off.
Alittle history this cpu was installed in 2 previous mobo's which both died and im thinking the cpu was the cause.

More about : cpu run

a b à CPUs
December 14, 2010 6:13:42 AM

It's completely possible.

At this point I think its safer to just get a new CPU.

I should add:
You probably know this already, but always give the heat-sink and CPU proper cleaning with high-purity alcohol and some kind of lint-free cloth before re-installing and use fresh compound. Always apply it in a manufacturer approved method.
Just want to rule it out.
December 14, 2010 6:27:24 AM

Yea im gonna see if anyones selling a 3400+ those are alittle rare to come by that was my original upgrade path then i got screwd when socket 939 came out. Would being overclocked 215mhz core clock with a multiplier of 11 for 4 years cause this? because from my understanding instability is a symptom of a dying cpu and theres no instability, no BSOD's, no write fails, it just started acting like a george forman grill. The prior mobo it was in when it died I took it apart and grabed the HS an burnt the hell out of my hand and now that this is going on im starting to connect dots.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
December 14, 2010 6:35:10 AM

Sorry to hear that.I had a Socket 939 system die on me although I replaced it with a AM2+ mobo and much faster CPU (still used the old Hard Drive and OS (Xp Pro).

It's probably time for you to upgrade anyways.Why not take a leap and get a newer AM2+ or AM3 mobo with a budget CPU and some cheap DDR2 or 3 RAM.
It wouldn't cost very much if you can stick to a low budget.
December 14, 2010 6:40:52 AM

I plan on it, already have a case and a am3 mobo ordered. I just dont like haveing extra hardware go to waste, it has a hd3850(AGP) slaped in it and it did play crysis at one point which I was kinda impressed that it even ran on high settings it just didnt like alot of physics. thought it would make a great media center/ server / game machine if i got the mobo replaced 40 bux wasnt all that bad but I wasnt expecting the george forman grill effect when I turned it on.
!