Sign in with
Your question

Picking an SDD - Price vs Storage vs Speed

Last response: in Storage
December 30, 2012 11:05:15 AM

Hi guys,

I'm looking at getting an SSD for my PC, but I don'tknow which to get. I thought a 120Gb would be ok, as these cost about £70, but some people have told me I'd have more free space on a 250GB, which are at least £115.

But which is best?

I've seen OCZ's,SanDisks,Samsung,Intel etc....

http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/360544540502?var=lv&ltyp...

http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/300833151672?var=lv&ltyp...

http://www.ebuyer.com/398216-samsung-256gb-830-series-s...

http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/370712701430?var=lv&ltyp...

http://www.dabs.com/products/samsung-256gb-830-series-s...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0093HMLJ4/ref=asc_df_B0093H...
http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/121001850948?var=lv&ltyp...

I've also seen the same models as above, but in 120Gb forms, the cheapest being the OCZ Agility 3 at £70.

Anyone got opinions on what I should get?
a c 99 G Storage
December 30, 2012 11:37:50 AM

128GB is plenty for an SSD boot drive.
Formatting will take 9GB, Windows will be another 20GB.That leaves ~80GB (always leave the drive with a bit of free space) of storage left for your programs and important games. My 128GB SSD is only half full.

if you can, get a 128GB Samsung 830. Its a very good drive.
a b G Storage
December 30, 2012 11:54:39 AM

^ +1

I have a 128GB Samsung 830 -- it is really good!
Related resources
December 30, 2012 12:24:14 PM

I've also found Intel and OCZ's which did well in the benchmark test TH did.

All depends on how much free space I'd get on a 120Gb, 180, and a 250GB.

Does it make a difference that I have Windows 7 64 Bit, and 8Gb RAM?
a c 99 G Storage
December 30, 2012 12:32:04 PM

Windows 7 64bit takes ~20GB when installed. The 8GB of RAM will mean you will have an 8GB pagefile which will be on the SSD, but its easy enough to move to a HDD.

The OCZ Vertex 4 and Samsung 830 are pretty close all up, but each one has its strengths and weakness'. The 830 has faster read speeds, while the Vertex 4 has faster write speeds. SO get the 830 if its going to be an OS drive, and the Vertex 4 if its going to be something like a scratch disk for video editing.
Chances are you wouldn't notice the difference between either when actually in use though.

The Intel 520 (which I think your referring too) uses the Sandforce controller, not much point in using them anymore. They choke up when confronted with incompressible data and there are just better Marvel/custom controller drives out there.
a b G Storage
December 30, 2012 12:37:25 PM

There are a few tweaks you can do to regain a few GB's of free space on an SSD, such as lowering the size or disabling the pagefile and disabling hibernation (useless feature when booting from an SSD anyway).

Here is a link for a few other tweaks and how to set them up:
http://www.computing.net/howtos/show/solid-state-drive-...

I pretty much use every tweak from this article except for disabling page file completely, i play a few games and for some reason require a page file to work.
My boot drive is currently an OCZ Agility 3 120gig, 40gig is used, 16gig of that is a few games the rest is windows/programs/etc.
December 30, 2012 12:52:44 PM

aaah, neat tricks. So I guess I wouldn't really need a 250Gb one then.

All I wanna put on it :

Windows 7
Maybe Linux
GTA
Batman
Assasins Creed (if it would help loading times in game)
Photoshop
Chrome
Vegas.

a c 99 G Storage
December 30, 2012 12:57:09 PM

Batman Arkham City is fairly large I think, 20GB or something.

You should be able to put all that on I think. Would be best if you went around to each programs minimum specs and found how much space you need and just added them up. Better than me guessing it will fit.
It will help with load times. Playing Fallout 3 off an SSD is amazing.
a b G Storage
December 30, 2012 12:57:43 PM

Try Transcend 250gb ssd.
December 30, 2012 1:28:44 PM

Similar price to Sandisk and OCZ 250G's....
December 30, 2012 3:10:19 PM

I just picked up my first SSD: OCZ Vector 256gb
So far it's amazing! ;) 

Got it in AHCI mode with Trim enabled :D 
December 30, 2012 3:38:10 PM

manofchalk said:
Batman Arkham City is fairly large I think, 20GB or something.

You should be able to put all that on I think. Would be best if you went around to each programs minimum specs and found how much space you need and just added them up. Better than me guessing it will fit.
It will help with load times. Playing Fallout 3 off an SSD is amazing.

batman is 16Gb
GTa is 14
Photoshop is 1
Vegas is not even half!

Actually then, with a 120GB SSD, I'd need at least 35Gb free space.... and from what I gather, I can get roughly 60.

But then, I know that as soon as I get it, I will try and put EVERYTHING onto it, just to make it a second quicker.
December 30, 2012 3:43:33 PM

I might have to play Batman again to se how "slow" loading times actually are... for some reason I thought ", I can get better FPS if I put it on a SS".

Maybe on GTA, where maps and stuff have to be loaded, it wil be quicker...
a c 152 G Storage
December 30, 2012 4:00:40 PM

Man I have to clean my SSD, 80 gigs(Hibernate disabled/page file set to 4, maybe that is too much) used and not even that many games on it.

On my main system I have managed to fill at least 256(I have 2, non raid, some games are on the second one.), but then again it has many more games.

Depending on the game, placing it on a hard drive will not even hurt performance. Biggest one I can think of is Just Cause 2, it loads fast on anything. While other games load MUCH faster off the SSD. For the most part, if a games compressed enough, the cpu limits the load speeds and if not, the extra speed can be used.
December 30, 2012 4:13:38 PM

May have swung the vote on siing - I have a Asus P8Z77 VLX Motherboard, with 2 SATA3, 6Gbs ports on my otherboarad. So uness those PCIe adapter socket thingys are any good, I think - maybe - that bigger is better on this?

Unless someone wants to buy my motherboard off me ;) 
January 16, 2013 3:10:07 PM

I thought it might be better to post back in this thread, than to start another.
It's been a while, but the prices of the SSD's havent gone down, but up ?

Ideas now:

Sandisk Pulse vs Sandisk Extreme vs OCZ Agility 3

The pulse is around £10 cheaper, the OCZ is £5 more, and the Extreme is another £5. All are 240/256GB
a c 152 G Storage
January 16, 2013 3:25:40 PM

I do not know much about the Pulse, I am guessing it is an async nand ssd by its price.

The agility(The vertex has the better sync stuff) is also async. Async is the value stuff. This does not make it bad as such.

The Extreme has toggle flash. That is about as good as it gets. Sandforce should have most of the bugs that it had when released worked out. If you got the extra money the Extreme may be a good idea.
February 7, 2013 2:12:04 PM

I've bought the Sandisk Extreme after buying and cancelling the Samsung 840... right decision you think?

Benchmajrks show they're roughly equal ( 1MBs doesnt bother me) and the Sandisk beats the Samsung by more in certain tests.

Sandisk - 240GB - £140
Samsung 840 - 250GB - £134

I have realised that with the Sandisk I lose around 10GB, but hopefully that won't matter too much?

Also, I just looked at my Steam folder on my PC. 220GBs already!
February 7, 2013 2:32:18 PM

nukemaster said:
Man I have to clean my SSD, 80 gigs(Hibernate disabled/page file set to 4, maybe that is too much) used and not even that many games on it.

On my main system I have managed to fill at least 256(I have 2, non raid, some games are on the second one.), but then again it has many more games.

Depending on the game, placing it on a hard drive will not even hurt performance. Biggest one I can think of is Just Cause 2, it loads fast on anything. While other games load MUCH faster off the SSD. For the most part, if a games compressed enough, the cpu limits the load speeds and if not, the extra speed can be used.

JC2 was one of the games I was thinking off putting on my SSD... Now I know I can save those few gigs! Thanks.
!