Is it me or..

Deleted member k

...Unreal is quite an unsociable game? (all of them).

As well as Unreal (99+2004) I play a lot of Quake 2 + 3. In your average
Quake game there is a lot of chatter and good natured banter as well as
more acknowledgement of good shots. The only time UT seems to come alive
is during an barrage of 'fuk u' or 'stfus' by some 10 year old pissed off
that everyone is wasting him. The UT2004 voice chat has livened things up
a little, but there isn't that many people using it. Who knows, it might
be the nature of the game, things are happening too fast for people to be
chatting via their keyboards, but Q2 + Q3 aren't exactly slow games.

Un header molto originale introduce la risposta a "K":

>..Unreal is quite an unsociable game? (all of them).
>
>As well as Unreal (99+2004) I play a lot of Quake 2 + 3. In your average
>Quake game there is a lot of chatter and good natured banter as well as
>more acknowledgement of good shots. The only time UT seems to come alive
>is during an barrage of 'fuk u' or 'stfus' by some 10 year old pissed off
>that everyone is wasting him. The UT2004 voice chat has livened things up
>a little, but there isn't that many people using it. Who knows, it might
>be the nature of the game, things are happening too fast for people to be
>chatting via their keyboards, but Q2 + Q3 aren't exactly slow games.

Right, why don't you use more the voice chat?
I use it but most ppl don't respond

On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 20:54:05 GMT, Stefano <oppenheimer@bomb.ne> wrote:

>Un header molto originale introduce la risposta a "K":
>

>>..Unreal is quite an unsociable game? (all of them).
>>
>>As well as Unreal (99+2004) I play a lot of Quake 2 + 3. In your average
>>Quake game there is a lot of chatter and good natured banter as well as
>>more acknowledgement of good shots. The only time UT seems to come alive
>>is during an barrage of 'fuk u' or 'stfus' by some 10 year old pissed off
>>that everyone is wasting him. The UT2004 voice chat has livened things up
>>a little, but there isn't that many people using it. Who knows, it might
>>be the nature of the game, things are happening too fast for people to be
>>chatting via their keyboards, but Q2 + Q3 aren't exactly slow games.
>
>Right, why don't you use more the voice chat?
>I use it but most ppl don't respond

I thought it was symptomatic of the maturing genre and not a result of
any one specific game's environment. Most first person shooter
players seem to have been around awhile now, it might have been neat
to chat in Quakeworld but now we just wanna play the game. Sorry but
this gamer doesn't wanna treat UT like an instant messenger.

I was hoping voicechat would improve with time, but I'm still seeing
that most such chatter is by inexperienced players who declare
themselves team leader and start making either obvious or silly orders
of their "teammates". Guess what, I know that we need to "take the
next node". I also know that "everyone guard the base" is suicide,
the best defense is taking out the adjacent node.

Schism

I don't use it (and have turned it off altogether) because my connection
can't handle it (IDSL 144/144)

> Right, why don't you use more the voice chat?
> I use it but most ppl don't respond

I found Unreal to be a highly social game, and we were all typing at that.
That typing context led to rules of engagement, and rules (i.e. stand facing
wall, looking down when typing) that most decent folk honored, thereby
allowing interaction. That said, yes, UT brought in a different player and
different style of play. Having played for about 3/4 of a year before
joining a clan, I tried to follow server rules, which became inherent in my
gameplay. Our clan then switched to ut, ut03, and now ut04. In particular,
the unreal to ut switch seemed to throw the majority of courtesy guidelines
out the proverbial window. When we established our ut03 server, we brought
a bit of the original games courtesy and type/chat back - though that is
largely dependent upon where you play.

As to voice communications, many of our clan members use it, having
previously used TeamSpeak; TS was mostly for the social fun, not for frag
strategy. Voice chat also enables you, for the most part, to keep your
hands on the keyboard/mouse/controller. TS was great, because it was vox
controlled - no need to hit keys. Yeah, there are still wankers who are
obnoxious or rude but I think most folks are just trying to be good team
gamers, helpful for the most part.

All in all, it's very dependent upon which server you're gaming on.

FeldrewCo30
www.co30.com

Steven L Cox wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 20:54:05 GMT, Stefano <oppenheimer@bomb.ne> wrote:
>
>> Un header molto originale introduce la risposta a "K":
>>

>>> ..Unreal is quite an unsociable game? (all of them).
>>>
>>> As well as Unreal (99+2004) I play a lot of Quake 2 + 3. In your
>>> average Quake game there is a lot of chatter and good natured
>>> banter as well as more acknowledgement of good shots. The only time
>>> UT seems to come alive is during an barrage of 'fuk u' or 'stfus'
>>> by some 10 year old pissed off that everyone is wasting him. The
>>> UT2004 voice chat has livened things up a little, but there isn't
>>> that many people using it. Who knows, it might be the nature of the
>>> game, things are happening too fast for people to be chatting via
>>> their keyboards, but Q2 + Q3 aren't exactly slow games.
>>
>> Right, why don't you use more the voice chat?
>> I use it but most ppl don't respond
>
> I thought it was symptomatic of the maturing genre and not a result of
> any one specific game's environment. Most first person shooter
> players seem to have been around awhile now, it might have been neat
> to chat in Quakeworld but now we just wanna play the game. Sorry but
> this gamer doesn't wanna treat UT like an instant messenger.
>
> I was hoping voicechat would improve with time, but I'm still seeing
> that most such chatter is by inexperienced players who declare
> themselves team leader and start making either obvious or silly orders
> of their "teammates". Guess what, I know that we need to "take the
> next node". I also know that "everyone guard the base" is suicide,
> the best defense is taking out the adjacent node.

Andrew

On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 20:54:53 +0000, K <kayjaybee@clara.net> wrote:

>..Unreal is quite an unsociable game? (all of them).

Unreal was a very sociable game, I agree things went less sociable
with UT.

I personally turned voice chat off, because I got tired of chat that wasn't
much different than the obnoxious typed chat you mention. It is enough that
I end up reading racist and hateful remarks, but I really don't want to
listen to it as well. Plus, i didn't like being reminded that the guy who
is kicking my ass is only 12.

--
Michael Dean
michael.dean@mindspring.com

"K" <kayjaybee@clara.net> wrote in message
> ..Unreal is quite an unsociable game? (all of them).
>
> As well as Unreal (99+2004) I play a lot of Quake 2 + 3. In your average
> Quake game there is a lot of chatter and good natured banter as well as
> more acknowledgement of good shots. The only time UT seems to come alive
> is during an barrage of 'fuk u' or 'stfus' by some 10 year old pissed off
> that everyone is wasting him. The UT2004 voice chat has livened things up
> a little, but there isn't that many people using it. Who knows, it might
> be the nature of the game, things are happening too fast for people to be
> chatting via their keyboards, but Q2 + Q3 aren't exactly slow games.

ME

Michael Dean wrote:

> I personally turned voice chat off, because I got tired of chat that
> wasn't
> much different than the obnoxious typed chat you mention. It is enough
> that I end up reading racist and hateful remarks, but I really don't want
> listen to it as well. Plus, i didn't like being reminded that the guy who
> is kicking my ass is only 12.

heh. I turned voice chat off due to it glitching on me randomly. Someone
speaks, then suddenly a perpetual echo of what the last syllable they said
keeps playing over and over and over and over and over (while other game
sounds don't echo and play normally when they should) for minutes long. It
got so annoying that I just left voice chat turned off permanently.

Un header molto originale introduce la risposta a "Michael Dean":

> Plus, i didn't like being reminded that the guy who
>is kicking my ass is only 12.

Right, everyone let's be honest, that's the reason why you don't wanna
use it. Hehe. :) (oh, btw double that age and you'll have mine)

Stefano

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 00:39:53 GMT, Michael Dean wrote:

> I personally turned voice chat off, because I got tired of chat that wasn't
> much different than the obnoxious typed chat you mention. It is enough that
> I end up reading racist and hateful remarks, but I really don't want to
> listen to it as well. Plus, i didn't like being reminded that the guy who
> is kicking my ass is only 12.

Well... I don't want to say this... but I did say some time ago that that
would happen.

--
R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1

Stefano wrote:
> Un header molto originale introduce la risposta a "K":
>

>>..Unreal is quite an unsociable game? (all of them).
>>
>>As well as Unreal (99+2004) I play a lot of Quake 2 + 3. In your average
>>Quake game there is a lot of chatter and good natured banter as well as
>>more acknowledgement of good shots. The only time UT seems to come alive
>>is during an barrage of 'fuk u' or 'stfus' by some 10 year old pissed off
>>that everyone is wasting him. The UT2004 voice chat has livened things up
>>a little, but there isn't that many people using it. Who knows, it might
>>be the nature of the game, things are happening too fast for people to be
>>chatting via their keyboards, but Q2 + Q3 aren't exactly slow games.
>

> Right, why don't you use more the voice chat?
> I use it but most ppl don't respond

Yes I have the same experience, sometimes I have the feeling they can't
hear me at all !

--
luc wastiaux

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 14:20:02 +0200, luc wastiaux wrote:

> Yes I have the same experience, sometimes I have the feeling they can't
> hear me at all !

Do you find this happening more and more with yourself?

--

Steven L Cox wrote:
> I thought it was symptomatic of the maturing genre and not a result of
> any one specific game's environment. Most first person shooter
> players seem to have been around awhile now, it might have been neat
> to chat in Quakeworld but now we just wanna play the game. Sorry but
> this gamer doesn't wanna treat UT like an instant messenger.
>
> I was hoping voicechat would improve with time, but I'm still seeing
> that most such chatter is by inexperienced players who declare
> themselves team leader and start making either obvious or silly orders
> of their "teammates". Guess what, I know that we need to "take the
> next node". I also know that "everyone guard the base" is suicide,
> the best defense is taking out the adjacent node.

So why don't you suggest to that newbie, over voice-chat that he stops
giving out stupid orders ? that's what communication is about.

--
luc wastiaux

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 14:23:52 +0200, luc wastiaux wrote:

> So why don't you suggest to that newbie, over voice-chat that he stops
> giving out stupid orders ? that's what communication is about.

And what's to stop the 'newbie' giving out more "stupid orders" once it
knows that it's annoying you?

--

<dustpuppy@airpost.net> wrote:

>Steven L Cox wrote:

>> I was hoping voicechat would improve with time, but I'm still seeing
>> that most such chatter is by inexperienced players who declare
>> themselves team leader and start making either obvious or silly orders
>> of their "teammates". Guess what, I know that we need to "take the
>> next node". I also know that "everyone guard the base" is suicide,
>> the best defense is taking out the adjacent node.
>
>So why don't you suggest to that newbie, over voice-chat that he stops
>giving out stupid orders ? that's what communication is about.

I don't feel personally responsible for training every single newbie I
encounter. They're not going to take it well anyways if I say "excuse
me, but thats rather obvious" so I'll not bother.

-s-

Michael Dean wrote:
> I personally turned voice chat off, because I got tired of chat that wasn't
> much different than the obnoxious typed chat you mention. It is enough that
> I end up reading racist and hateful remarks, but I really don't want to
> listen to it as well. Plus, i didn't like being reminded that the guy who
> is kicking my ass is only 12.

This is such a stereotype.. I bet it's happened to you once. Did you
amputate your ears the first time you heard something that didn't please
you in real life ? If you're going to be playing a team game and refuse
to communicate, I suggest you play with bots.

--
luc wastiaux

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 14:25:17 +0200, luc wastiaux wrote:

> This is such a stereotype..

Really?

> I bet it's happened to you once.

I bet it did too. Hey, that must be why the person posted.

[Snip]

> If you're going to be playing a team game and refuse to communicate,

Would you care to sit through a teamgame and tolerate racism being thrown
at anyone? Think carefully about your answer.

> I suggest you play with bots.

Yeah, that'll show those hateful little bastards, won't it?

--
R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 14:25:17 +0200, luc wastiaux
<dustpuppy@airpost.net> wrote:

>Michael Dean wrote:
>> Plus, i didn't like being reminded that the guy who
>> is kicking my ass is only 12.
>>
>This is such a stereotype..

Methinks he protests too much. Are you, in fact, 12?

-s-

Mr K wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 14:23:52 +0200, luc wastiaux wrote:
>

>>So why don't you suggest to that newbie, over voice-chat that he stops
>>giving out stupid orders ? that's what communication is about.
>

> And what's to stop the 'newbie' giving out more "stupid orders" once it
> knows that it's annoying you?

Because I give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they are not
stupid, if all else fails you can ignore them (through the software),
but please don't turn off all voice chat just because one person is
annoying you !

--
luc wastiaux

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 16:49:13 +0200, luc wastiaux
<dustpuppy@airpost.net> wrote:

>Because I give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they are not
>stupid, if all else fails you can ignore them (through the software),
>but please don't turn off all voice chat just because one person is
>annoying you !

I know several others have stated they've turned voicechat off, but
for the record I leave it on... and ignore 90% of the garbage out
there. If I do find a beacon of intelligence/experience out there
I'll work with that player. Its just a rather rare find, especially
since its obvious that most of the good gamers *have* turned off their
voicechat. The newbies and the lamers have already ruined it for all
of us.

I'll stick with my chat-by-phone method with a known good gamer.

-s-

Un header molto originale introduce la risposta a "Steven L Cox":

>Sure, there is lots of potential there, but the signal-to-noise ratio
>drowns it out in an open server playing with a bunch of strangers.
>When I game with an old friend we generally cooperate over the
>telephone for our own personal voicechat, but trying to get any
>cooperation out of the average newbie just doesn't seem to work.

Well, that there are "technical" problems to be solved first. I guess
UT2004 was the fistr game to integrate voice commands, maybe later games
will take full advantage of it.
Just imagine a Tie Fighter with voice commands, or any other game. Like,
formations in Homeworld-like games... voice commands bot to humans and
computer opens such a wide range of options.

>I don't mind the honest criticism but I'm at a loss why you picked
>"naive" as the descriptive, I'd given you much more leeway with
>exactly the opposite - that I was being too pessimistic. Your own
>viewpoint of voicechat somehow overcoming the problems of earlier
>in-game communications is more aptly named naive IMO.

Yeah, right, I got the wrong word. I was more trying to say "limited",
meaning that you were neglecting the true potential of the thing. Sorry.

Stefano

Un header molto originale introduce la risposta a "luc wastiaux":

>Michael Dean wrote:
>> I personally turned voice chat off, because I got tired of chat that wasn't
>> much different than the obnoxious typed chat you mention. It is enough that
>> I end up reading racist and hateful remarks, but I really don't want to
>> listen to it as well. Plus, i didn't like being reminded that the guy who
>> is kicking my ass is only 12.
>>

>This is such a stereotype.. I bet it's happened to you once. Did you
>amputate your ears the first time you heard something that didn't please
>you in real life ?

ROTFL :)

> This is such a stereotype.. I bet it's happened to you once.

Actually, I've gotten my ass kicked many times. Darn near every time I
play, in fact.

Did you
> amputate your ears the first time you heard something that didn't please
> you in real life ?

No, but do you go to concerts or buy CDs by bands you don't like? Do you
listen when some one is saying the same thing that has been said thousands
of time before, by thousands of people (at least), with nothing new to add?

If you're going to be playing a team game and refuse
> to communicate, I suggest you play with bots.
>
> --
> luc wastiaux

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 22:44:44 GMT, Michael Dean wrote:

Nice sig.

--
R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1

TRENDING THREADS