Sign in with
Your question

Wierd Dell e521 boot issue - New Motherboard

Last response: in Motherboards
August 11, 2011 3:05:58 PM

I just put a new Motherboard in a Dell e521. In the Bios "Boot Sequence" menu the Bootable Hard Drive has no number in front of it so moving it to the top of the list does not make it number 1 . . it remains un-numbered. So, the computer cannot find a bootable device.

However, if I push F12 to enter the boot menu, I can select "Bootable Hard Drive" and the computer will boot.

More about : wierd dell e521 boot issue motherboard

August 11, 2011 3:25:06 PM

Solution: I reset to Default Settings and then it worked. Sorta of strange because I had never changed anything in the first place. It was a brand new board . . it had no Service Tag number configured.
m
l
August 11, 2011 3:27:37 PM

Quote:
it's a simple change in the BIOS settings, you have to use the correct button on keyboard to make the change you wish.
off the top of my head (memory) I do not have my Dell anymore; I believe you have to make that change with the space bar to activate.
I might be wrong.
all you have to do is pay close attention to the dialog box it will tell you how to do it.

if you can't figure it out I will go to a Dell unit and redo the process to refresh my memory and then explain it to you..

Thanks for you reply, but the Default Settings caused the drive to be "numbered"
m
l
August 21, 2011 12:02:45 AM

Best answer selected by swbruce21.
m
l
!