Pentium 2 300Mhz - help please

Hi Guys

I'm currently running :

Intel Core i5 760
Asus GTX 470 V2
Zotac Mini itx H55
8gb Corsair Vengeance

Realised how good this CPU chip is (as was my i3 530 - amazing!) and got me thinking back to the last time I was this impressed with the pure brute force and "doggedness" of a chip...which bought back the old Pentium 2 days. Rock solid, reliable, and consistent performer for years...would reliably crunch through anything you could throw at it. Was never really too impressed with the P3 or P4. Although core 2 duo etc were good, they never failed to impress as much as the P2 in its day

So i have now purchased a Pentium II 300Mhz with mobo + RAM. I am going to build and old system, and maybe dump XP on it. My knowledge of these systems is obviously a bit fuzzy

Could somebody please take a look at this mobo pic and advise what the expansion slots are?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190476560590&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

I will be looking to purchase a graphics card (Voodoo or something) and an IDE hard drive

Need to know what cards it can take, what size IDE it will accept...and anything else I need to be cautious of!? I never built a slot 1 system....didn't start building until socket 775

Any help appreciated guys!
45 answers Last reply
More about pentium 300mhz please
  1. The longest expansion ports are PCI-X, a long-dead technology. Looks like an AGP port and a couple standard PCI ports there too. I'm only seeing one IDE port but it could be obscured by the DIMM on the far end of the board.
  2. I could be wrong but I think the grey port is AGP, the 4 x white ones are PCI (not to be confused with PCIE) and the 3 white ones are ISA.
  3. Will these be standard PCI slots...take all modern PCI upgrade cards?

The AGP is the small brown one next to the CPU, correct?

There are a ton of AGP cards on ebay, going up to 128mb and 256mb...but guess I will need to receive the board first and find out what limits are in place?

What would be better....and AGP or PCI graphics card?
  4. Win XP might be a bit much for that system. How much ram, 8 mb 16?
  5. I'm hoping it will take more than 16mb RAM.

When I had my P2 266mhz I think I had 96mb ram. I will installing the max ram for this board....but until my 99p purchase arrives I will not know. Need model numbers etc then check online

Wouldn't be unreasonable to expect it to take 128mb ?
  6. I remember running Windows ME on my P2 266mhz...and that ran fine (although ME was not exactly a great OS...quite laughable thinking back on it!)
  7. Ok I remember the p2 75mhz was high end with 8mb of ram,lol. So yeah now that I think of it, the p2 300mhz should be capable of more like the amount your saying. I'm still not sure XP will run smoothly on 90mb of ram.
  8. They never made P2 75mhz? The pentium I run at 133mhz... ?

Hmm will see what I can do. Checking on youtube some peeps have even managed to force Windows 7 onto a similar config...

Just have to patiently wait to get the board...
  9. must have my old chips crossed up, was thinking of this one

http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=49961
  10. Nope looking at the Pentium II, here :

http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=49937

Next generation
  11. XP requires 128mb of RAM.

A PII 300Mhz should be able to support that, as a PII266 is the lowest possible processor for XP.

Also

MATROX MISTIQUE, I had 2 of these in the old skool Scalable Link Interface setup :D
  12. You should be able to put 256 mb or 512mb of memory in there (They made 128mb and 256 mb memory modules back then).I would run Windows 98 SE on it.
    I have a slot 1 ASUS board that will either take a Pentium II or a Pentium III (It's running a Pentium III Coppermine @650 Mhz).One of my favorite older systems.
  13. Cheers guys….

I used to run 98 SE….was the first OS with USB (flash drive) support if I remember correctly….might get a USB PCI card for this mobo

Will let you know the specs when the board arrives. Don't think there is a blanking plate so might have to be a custom acrylic case or something.
  14. WIn95 OSR2.1 supported USB and AGP
  15. PICTURES! It is the J-7LXA

http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/J/J-MARK-COMPUTER-CORPORATION-Pentium-II-J-7LXA-J-7L.html

The max speed CPU is 300Mhz (which I have installed). Few questions....

Will any AGP graphics card run on this board, or are there revisions of AGP I need to check? x4, x8?

OR would a 32 bit PCI graphics card run better?

The PCI slots are 32-bit....so could I plug in a PCI / SATA board to use SATA drives with this build (hate ribbon cables)

Only problem is there is no VGA or monitor connections, so my graphics will be completely dependant on a card?
  16. Here you can read about AGP compatibility.Most likely AGP 1.0 for that board so yes there are limitations (recheck though to see if it is AGP 1.0 as it depends upon when the motherboard was manufactured)..A later more advanced PCI graphics card could possibly run better (if there are legacy drivers for it Win 9.X etc)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accelerated_Graphics_Port

Your other question about using a PCI / SATA board see here
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SATA#Backward_and_forward_compatibility
    It looks like a possibility of it.

Yes,your graphics will be completely dependent upon the card
  17. It's the J-7LXA R2 (ver 2) and the AWARD BIOS chipp has 1998 as the date.

It uses the intel SL23P PCI chipset, if that helps when choosing sata or graphics card type?

Any help appreciated

I will be installing XP...and 1gb of PC100 RAM.

What is the best PCI graphics card I can get to fit a 32 bit slot and run on this chipset?

Will be worth the effort, going to install in an acrylic case (no LED or lights etc...just for display).
  18. you would be better running "Puppy linux" or "Damn small linux" as it has support for all modern hardware/addon's lol its totally up to you on this build though lol.

and also you will be able to find 128/256 MB RAM :)

lol PCI-X...
  19. I could install linux....but never used it. But i am going into quant finance so maybe its time i learned!

Found 4 x 256mb PC100, cleaned tested matched = 1gb

So just the graphics now...AGP or PCI (the slot is 32 bit, does this limit my card choices?)....any suggestions for card to use?

Will have to get a PCI sata converter and test as well
  20. The later 3dfx Voodoo 3,4 and 5 cards would be nice or a Nvidia TNT,TNT2 or ATI Rage 128 variant card.
    You could choose a later card as long as it was compatible with the system,OS

XP would run that system to a crawl with that slow CPU especially security software.

I don't think that modern AV,anti-spyware programs meant for XP would run on that slow of a CPU.

I say either Windows 98 (to run old software,games on) and be offline or Linux like CsG_kieran_2 suggested if you intend to use it on the Internet.
  21. Would not be installing anti-virus (ah shoot me now)...not going to connect it to anything, keeping it offline!

Just want it for novelty purposes. I used to run ME on this, and didn't mind how slow it was

Might even get a slot 1 watercooler and RAM coolers just for fun
  22. I'm thinking that it is AGP 1.0 as JJ said. You would be better off getting a PCI card like an 8400GS if you don't want to deal with the hassle of trying to find an AGP x1-x2 card - newegg has Sparkle 8400GS for $25 with free shipping. I've got an 8400GS running on my work computer and it's decent.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814187108&cm_re=pci_video_cards-_-14-187-108-_-Product
  23. Ah well if offline then your best bet is Windows 98 Second Edition,The original Windows 98,ME or perhaps Windows 95 OSR2.1 that was suggested before.
    98SE would be best.
    There was a lot of software for Win 9.X.
    By the way you don't want too much RAM for the Win 9.X versions of windows.
    For 98 I would stick to 512mb RAM.
    Back then in 1998 128mb RAM was generally used on high end P2 systems.256 mb would have been pretty awesome in 1998.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1133805
    http://www.crucial.com/kb/answer.aspx?qid=3743

The great thing about that era was that there was no activation crap (or excessive DRM either) with software.
  24. I miss those days....install it as many times as you like, break it, then do it all over again

Office 97 was amazing!

Just plugged it into a 450w ATX power supply. Starts up but the cooler is v loud (rubbish fan) so off to ebay to purchase a nice 50mm replacement.

So...PCI 8400GS it is....this will definately work in a 32 bit slot (thought it was 128 bit card) ??
  25. You need to check the voltage and configuration of your PCI slot. PCI Gen1 was a 5-volt slot and may not be compatible with your plans.

And I believe those long brown slots are a 'hybrid' ISA/VESA local bus. I've got an ISA SCSI controller card hangin' around somewhere that would probably work, but you probably don't recall what SCSI was ... :lol:
  26. If you use Win 9.X I wouldn't use a PCI 8400GS graphics card for it as I don't think there are Win 9.X drivers for it.To see some cards with Win 9.X support look again at that Wikipedia link about the AGP that I provided earlier.
  27. I remember SCSI....king of its day. I might actually install a SCSI, as I am doing a nice TOP END build of the past. Would look nice as well!

Only real prob I am going to have is the case, need to find someone who is good at working with plastics (in London). Fairly simple, can be produced from a sheet of acrylic acting as the mobo tray, right angled to act as a blanking plate. The only connections that are going to be used are the USB and the video out (from the PCI). There was no blanking plate for the mobo and so I will be drilling the acrylic to fit. Then can build an acrylic box around this...simple. Will extend the ribbon cables so that I may connect a CD / floppy as and when required. USB will be the king here.

Once it is final I will upload pics etc.

So now guessing I will have to find a 5v PCI card? Any suggestions? The mobo only has a single 20 pin power connection, so thinking everything will be low volts, correct me if im wrong?
  28. Headache! Glad everything is PCI-E now...

So, thinking PCI is the way to go...what card would you suggest if I install XP. I know it will run slow but at least I can get the drivers installed for an 8400 etc...

Youtube...doesn't run too bad (and this is with half the RAM I intend to use) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGwWET1IJHU

This guy is running a 32mb graphics card as well.
  29. And by pure fluke, this guy appears to be using my mobo, but cant identify the graphics card he is using (or what the hell he is doing!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiIZxoWGLMM&NR=1

What card is that...might give an indication on the possibilities...
  30. yes,finding a AGP 1.0 card is a pain in the ass.You are right PCI would be better for you.One really old AGP card might be Nvidia's first one I believe the Riva 128
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RIVA_128
    I have a PCI version one in a Pentium 1 233Mhz system.
    See also down below
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RIVA_128#Competing_chipsets
    and references to see reviews etc.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RIVA_128#References
  31. Just so I know (and they are not cheap)...would a voodoo 3 / 4 / 5 run in this type of PCI config?

The card on the youtube video looks very similar to an S3 virge...

But I want as many MB as I can get...
  32. Yes they made PCI versions of the Voodoo 3,4 and 5 I think.
    I have a Voodoo 3 2000 PCI card which was a 16mb graphics card.
    Yeah perhaps the Voodoo 3,4 and 5 AGP cards were not AGP 1.0 as they came out in 2000 and 2001.
    The really interesting thing about 3DFX cards is that that they used Glide and Direct X whereas Nvidia and ATI used Openglide and Direct X.Many of the Windows 98,98SE and ME era games could take advantage of Glide which really made the games look amazingly 3D with 3DFX cards.Openglide (what ATI and Nvidia used) just doesn't seem to compare (have used them and they didn't have that emulated 3D mode somehow with those old games).

By the way have you seen the Tom's Hardware review on the AGP (1.0) cards.
    You can clearly see the slots here.
    http://www.thg.ru/graphic/19971027/print.html
  33. Psychoteddy said:
    The longest expansion ports are PCI-X, a long-dead technology. Looks like an AGP port and a couple standard PCI ports there too. I'm only seeing one IDE port but it could be obscured by the DIMM on the far end of the board.

That board has a 3.3-volt AGP 2x slot, four 5-volt 32-bit, 33 MHz PCI slots, and three ISA slots. The ISA slots are the ones at the bottom. PCI-X is a derivative of PCI and compatible with PCI. PCI-X slots look like longer PCI slots, although the keying of PCI-X is for 3.3 volts and will only take 3.3-volt or "universal" PCI cards.

sportsfanboy said:
    Ok I remember the p2 75mhz was high end with 8mb of ram,lol. So yeah now that I think of it, the p2 300mhz should be capable of more like the amount your saying. I'm still not sure XP will run smoothly on 90mb of ram.

I think you got "Pentium" confused with "Pentium 2." P2s started at 233 MHz and the machines they came in generally had at least 32 MB of RAM.

lmartinefc said:
    PICTURES! It is the J-7LXA

http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/J/J-MARK-COMPUTER-CORPORATION-Pentium-II-J-7LXA-J-7L.html

The max speed CPU is 300Mhz (which I have installed). Few questions....

Will any AGP graphics card run on this board, or are there revisions of AGP I need to check? x4, x8?

There is an AGP slot, but it's an AGP 2x slot and will only work with 3.3-volt cards. Later AGP 4x and 8x cards require lower voltages and are keyed differently such that they won't fit in an AGP 2x slot.

Quote:
    OR would a 32 bit PCI graphics card run better?

The AGP slot has four times the bandwidth of the PCI slots, but you can get a much better (newer) PCI GPU than anything that will fit in an AGP 2x slot. If you want to play games, I'd think an AGP card would be better due to the higher bandwidth.

Quote:
    The PCI slots are 32-bit....so could I plug in a PCI / SATA board to use SATA drives with this build (hate ribbon cables)

You could do that. Just keep in mind that PCI is a shared bus that tops out at 133 MB/sec. That means everything in a PCI slot has to share that 133 MB/sec, so plan accordingly. (That's why I suggested an AGP GPU- it's on a separate bus and doesn't eat PCI bus bandwidth.)

Quote:
    Only problem is there is no VGA or monitor connections, so my graphics will be completely dependant on a card?

Correct.

Anonymous said:
    You need to check the voltage and configuration of your PCI slot. PCI Gen1 was a 5-volt slot and may not be compatible with your plans.

Almost all of the 32-bit PCI slots I've seen are 5-volt keyed, even on new boards. The only PCI slots I've seen that are 3.3-volt keyed are PCI-X and thus have to be 3.3-volt keyed. Most PCI cards I've seen are universal keyed with two notches and can work in either 3.3-volt or 5-volt keyed slots.

Quote:
    And I believe those long brown slots are a 'hybrid' ISA/VESA local bus. I've got an ISA SCSI controller card hangin' around somewhere that would probably work, but you probably don't recall what SCSI was ... :lol:

Maybe they're VLB slots, but all of the VLB slots I have seen were on 486 boards. IIRC the VLB only worked on 486 boards due to there being some dependence on the 486's memory bus setup.

As far as SCSI goes, I certainly do remember it. It made PATA look user-friendly as you had to deal with the wide ribbon cables for internal drives as well as dealing with getting the IDs configured correctly and not forgetting to attach the terminator to the end of the daisy chain when using external SCSI cables. However, the better hard drives were SCSI only as were the first CD burners and even some scanners, so there was a reason to put up with it.
  34. When I think about this old tech, i chuckle to myself a bit. Thinking ..... has it really been that long ago. D@mn!!! Time has wings!!!!!
  35. xtc28 said:
    When I think about this old tech, i chuckle to myself a bit. Thinking ..... has it really been that long ago. D@mn!!! Time has wings!!!!!

But think about how high tech this was compared to a Apple II,TRS-80,Commodore 64,IBM PC or even the Blinkenlights era (Altair,Imsai,programmable calculators or even ordinary electronic calculators etc).
    It's depends on ones age I suppose.To a youngster this was a long time ago and to those of us whom are old it seems just like yesterday (not really that long ago).If you had a time machine and took this antiquated Pentium II back to the 1960's it would most likely be the most powerful computer in the world by far over any mainframe in existence.
  36. *dont* be putting a AGP x4-x8 card in a x1 slot as you will get millions of graphics problems, if the other way round (AGP x1 into x4-x8) then it will explode lol
  37. How do you know. The slots are the same size....there must a characteristic to differentiate them (something physical) ?

Think PCI 8400 will do the job...any other PCI cards you can suggest in case I can't get one of these?
  38. lmartinefc said:
    How do you know. The slots are the same size....there must a characteristic to differentiate them (something physical) ?

Yes, the slots are generally keyed differently between the 3.3-volt AGP 1x/2x slots and the 1.5-volt 4x/8x slots.

Quote:
    Think PCI 8400 will do the job...any other PCI cards you can suggest in case I can't get one of these?

There are a few others:

- ATi Radeon HD 5450
    - ATi Radeon HD 4350
    - ATi Radeon 3450
    - GeForce 9500 GT
    - GeForce 9400 GT
  39. Sticking with AGP then! The key on this is definately AGP...so guessing it is, as you say, also AGP 2

I have purchased a Voodoo 3 2000+ 16mb card for testing (as it only cost £4.50!) then can look at getting another card later on when I have checked everything works as intended.

This mobo was limited to 300Mhz so I have also purchased another mobo with a 450mhz P2 for a bit of "testing" ;) see what I can squeeze out of it...will likely run XP alot smoother, but depends if the dual slot DIMM can take 512mb per slot?
  40. Here is a wikipedia article about the Voodoo 3
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voodoo3

By the way I recommend putting a small fan on the heatsink so you won't get artifacts and it will last much longer (My Voodoo 3 card still works to this day).
    I used a 486 CPU fan
  41. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1pN0FegvNk

here watch this, just to get this out in case you thought I was talking hooey :)

*this is why AGP was abandoned for PCI Express *
  42. Good video.By the way there are apparently XP drivers for that antiquated Voodoo 3 card.
    http://downloads.guru3d.com/Voodoo-3-2000%7C3000%7C3500---Windows-XP-download-157.html
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Pentium Product