Sign in with
Your question

GTX 460 running hot?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 11, 2010 1:09:07 PM

Hello,

I bought a Gigabyte 460 1GB OC, and at stock clock/temps it seems to be running awfully hot.

After 15 minutes of FurMark it's running at 76°c. The fan seems to be locked at 70% as well.

This, to me, seems AWFULLY hot, especially considering it's at stock clock and voltage. My i5-750 runs at 58°c full load with a BCLK of 180 - there is nothing wrong with the air flow in the case.

Is there a chance my card is faulty? Should I perhaps RMA?

More about : gtx 460 running hot

a b Î Nvidia
August 11, 2010 1:18:36 PM

76'C with FurMark, it's still considerably "warm", don't worry about that, your card can handle up to 100'C... :) 
August 11, 2010 1:27:11 PM

wa1 said:
76'C with FurMark, it's still considerably "warm", don't worry about that, your card can handle up to 100'C... :) 

Thanks for the reply!

Everywhere I read people writing about their Gigabyte 460 1GB's their cards are at ~60-65'c full load, while mine goes up, up and away.

Does anyone else own a Gigabyte? Can you tell me your temps?

Thanks.
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
August 11, 2010 1:30:08 PM

Well, those temps are based on many things, like the Case, the airflow inside the case, the room (ambient) temp, ect...

Mine? Well, my card is HD4850, not GTX460. :) 
August 11, 2010 1:49:05 PM

Haha, I noticed, hence I didn't ask you specifically. :) 

Uhm, ambient is like 27. case temp is 29. (according to speedfan). The airflow is fine, my i5-750 clocks without any trouble, and is quite cool.
a b Î Nvidia
August 11, 2010 1:52:44 PM

I'm sure if you play games, your temps won't reach 76'C.

FurMark is a program to stress hardware, so it could make your card temp hotter than if you play games...
a b Î Nvidia
August 11, 2010 1:59:34 PM

Your card seems right on the money. Here is a chart from Tom's during a FurMark test for the 460 review. Their max temp is 77C on Furmark.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-460-gf1...

Does this have the Gigabyte 2 fan setup? If so that may provide some additional cooling, but as WA1 said it depends on case airflow and such. Especially with those non-blower coolers, they do not exhaust the air so it relies on your case airflow to exhaust the heat.
August 11, 2010 2:08:47 PM

I've got a TRUE with 2 Noctua P12's at full, a 140mm exhaust fan, two 92mm intake fans on the front of the case.. I do not believe my airflow is anywhere close to bad.

Yes, I have the Gigabyte with the 2 fan setup. But it really has to boil down to my case airflow, since my temps aren't that far away from the TH review. Weird.

Do I dare overclock the card?
a b Î Nvidia
August 11, 2010 2:21:08 PM

cerpin_taxt said:

I would. Download MSI afterburner and rock and roll. I always end up modifying my fan profile anyways, that always helps it run cooler as well. That card begs to be overclocked. Looks like alot of people are hitting 850MHz with it.
August 11, 2010 2:24:31 PM

jay2tall said:
I would. Download MSI afterburner and rock and roll. I always end up modifying my fan profile anyways, that always helps it run cooler as well. That card begs to be overclocked. Looks like alot of people are hitting 850MHz with it.

Okay. I tried Afterburner earlier but it wouldn't let me set the fan speed above 70%. Why could this be? At 70% (max fan speed) is where I hit 76' in FurMark.
August 11, 2010 2:29:22 PM

cerpin_taxt said:
I've got a TRUE with 2 Noctua P12's at full, a 140mm exhaust fan, two 92mm intake fans on the front of the case.. I do not believe my airflow is anywhere close to bad.

Yes, I have the Gigabyte with the 2 fan setup. But it really has to boil down to my case airflow, since my temps aren't that far away from the TH review. Weird.

If you want to keep your card under 70c at ALL times you need to create a fan curve, this way you don't have to worry about adjusting your fan speed manually or relying on the "auto" feature to cool the card down.

http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv199/OvrClkr/new_cu...

once you set your curve you can start overclocking w/o worrying about your load temps.
August 11, 2010 3:05:18 PM

I tried that, OvrClkr, thanks. But it seems that my card is locked at 70% fan speed. Quite infuriating.
a b Î Nvidia
August 11, 2010 3:20:19 PM

They could very well have it lock at a max duty cycle of 70 in the BIOS. Do you really need it running over 70%?
August 11, 2010 3:31:36 PM

cerpin_taxt said:
I tried that, OvrClkr, thanks. But it seems that my card is locked at 70% fan speed. Quite infuriating.

do yo any other GPU monitoring program running other than AB? Like NV control panel or precision?

August 11, 2010 3:45:29 PM

Running my eVGA GTX 460 1GB at 790 MHz, Folding@home GPU gets it to no more than 68 C with the fan at 50%. This probably isn't as demanding as Furmark but it's still pegged at 99%.
a b Î Nvidia
August 11, 2010 3:51:26 PM

There is Riva Tuner, but Afterburner is based on this and makes it much nicer. I use the OSD for in game and also put the GPU temp in my system tray. There are alot of apps that will monitor this stuff, but this is the one I currently like. Works with both ATI and NVIDIA.
a c 171 Î Nvidia
August 11, 2010 7:00:31 PM

jay2tall said:
There is Riva Tuner

Chances are that it won't work though as it hasn't been updated in a dogs age and so it may not recognise the 4xx series cards.
!