Friendly Fire Gets Really Amusing Sometimes

Ever have an extended session of someone on your team being completely
confused about what team *you* are on? Happens to me all the time.
Makes me wonder about friendly fire in really stressful situations like
actual war.

Most notable occasion occurred when I was in a turret playing defense.
This dude materializes, obviously having just been fragged, completely
misses the concept that he has just materialized in a friendly location,
and opens up a can of whoopass on my turret. I first try spinning the
turret around so he can see that the player in it has the same color
he's sporting. This does no good as the dude just keeps firing on me.
Then I tap out "same team" on the keyboard. Still no effect. Then I
fire one shot at him and turn back around. Still no good. I spin back
around again and let him have a burst of fire, then spin away and ignore
him. He finally gets the message and runs off.

Second most notable friendly fire occurred when this guy on my team was
repairing damage to a hovercraft and I ran up and stole it. Man, did I
ever get a lot of flak (no pun) for that.
4 answers Last reply
More about friendly fire amusing sometimes
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 20:15:22 GMT, Ari Rankum
    <Ari_Rankum@invalid.invalid> wrote:

    >Most notable occasion occurred when I was in a turret playing defense.
    >This dude materializes, obviously having just been fragged, completely
    >misses the concept that he has just materialized in a friendly location,
    >and opens up a can of whoopass on my turret.

    How much "whoopass" can a respawned player really open up? :)

    >Second most notable friendly fire occurred when this guy on my team was
    >repairing damage to a hovercraft and I ran up and stole it. Man, did I
    >ever get a lot of flak (no pun) for that.

    I've "stole" enuf vehicles in my day, when crucial events were ongoing
    and I needed to get some certain spot regardless of how beat up my
    ride was. Rather I take this guy's ride and save the game than let
    him take it for a joyride. He can fuss at me when we're doing a
    victory dance on the opponent's core!

    -s-
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    Steven L Cox wrote:

    > I've "stole" enuf vehicles in my day, when crucial events were ongoing
    > and I needed to get some certain spot regardless of how beat up my
    > ride was. Rather I take this guy's ride and save the game than let
    > him take it for a joyride. He can fuss at me when we're doing a
    > victory dance on the opponent's core!
    >
    > -s-

    Yeah...well they shouldn't shoot at me as I jack their ride. The shots
    missing me as I tear off in their ride cause me to start laughing, once
    I start laughing, then I start jiggling, then my steering goes to hell.
    Where's the sense of teamwork???????
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 22:09:48 GMT, Ari Rankum
    <Ari_Rankum@invalid.invalid> wrote:

    >Steven L Cox wrote:
    >
    >> I've "stole" enuf vehicles in my day, when crucial events were ongoing
    >> and I needed to get some certain spot regardless of how beat up my
    >> ride was. Rather I take this guy's ride and save the game than let
    >> him take it for a joyride. He can fuss at me when we're doing a
    >> victory dance on the opponent's core!
    >>
    >> -s-
    >>

    >Yeah...well they shouldn't shoot at me as I jack their ride. The shots
    >missing me as I tear off in their ride cause me to start laughing, once
    >I start laughing, then I start jiggling, then my steering goes to hell.
    > Where's the sense of teamwork???????

    Of course the standard setting using the Red Orchestra mod is 100%
    friendly fire. I've never played it against human opponents but I
    could see that falling apart as team fall out and set upon each other.
    When the mod switches to UT2004, I don't fancy having to voicechat in
    Russian!

    Anyone here played around much with RO? It's very different from UT,
    not just in the scenario but in the gameplay. It's just a shame that
    the bots are so STUPID.
    --

    Julian Richards
    computer "at" richardsuk.f9.co.uk

    XP Home
    L7S7A2 motherboard
    Powercolor 9800 SE 8 pipelines with Omega drivers
    1 GB RAM
    10 GB + 80 GB HDs
    CD+DVD/CDRW drives
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    Ari Rankum <Ari_Rankum@invalid.invalid> wrote in news:ulBgc.19842$G_.3497
    @nwrddc02.gnilink.net:

    > Ever have an extended session of someone on your team being completely
    > confused about what team *you* are on? Happens to me all the time.

    I'm often on servers that randomize teams between maps, and it tends to
    burn me as I either go to the wrong end of the map (thankfully my teammates
    were understanding when I started to take the Levi the wrong way on ONS-
    RedPlanet) or shoot at the wrong color. For the first couple of minutes
    after such randomization I have to keep glancing at my color-coded weapon
    HUD at the bottom of the screen to burn in which team I'm on.

Games Video Games