Status
Not open for further replies.

bub

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2002

Before buying a new printer does anyone know if the print heads on the I9900
or Ip8500 is any better than the S900 or S9000 series printers. They both
claim 2pico drop size but the older ones had some banding problems at times.
Has there been really any improvements besides just adding too colors?

On my i9900 I've printed about 50 5x7, 8.5x11 and 12x16's on Canon
Matte, Photo Pro and Glossy Plus with no banding.

I have the Canon iP8500, and it's been great! I've only had it about three
weeks, but so far, no problems! The head is user replaceable too!

Bill Crocker

"Bub" <Bub@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Before buying a new printer does anyone know if the print heads on the
> I9900
> or Ip8500 is any better than the S900 or S9000 series printers. They both
> claim 2pico drop size but the older ones had some banding problems at
> times.
> Has there been really any improvements besides just adding too colors?

I have an I9900 and have not had a bit of problem with it. and again the
print head is user replaceable

--

Bub wrote:
> Before buying a new printer does anyone know if the print heads on the I9900
> or Ip8500 is any better than the S900 or S9000 series printers. They both
> claim 2pico drop size but the older ones had some banding problems at times.
> Has there been really any improvements besides just adding too colors?

I have the i9950 (i9900 + CD printing) and I have printed dozens of 6x4s and
about 30 8x10s since I bought it when it was first available with no banding
visible.

My Digital World:
Kodak DX6490, Canon i9950, Pioneer A05;
Hitachi 37" HD plasma display, DGTEC 2000A,
Denon 2800, H/K AVR4500, Whatmough Encore;
Sony Ericsson K700i, Palm Tungsten T.

Disclaimer:
given nor endorsed by it.

Hi,

I just bought the i9900 and set it up yesterday. So far it looks good. All the
reviews are good and it is the newest 13"x19" printer.
Time will tell about the heads.
Rosita

DJ

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 20:46:25 GMT, "Bub" <Bub@comcast.net> wrote:

>Before buying a new printer does anyone know if the print heads on the I9900
>or Ip8500 is any better than the S900 or S9000 series printers. They both
>claim 2pico drop size but the older ones had some banding problems at times.
>Has there been really any improvements besides just adding too colors?

I have experienced banding on several Canon printers, including S4500, S520,
?6500 and i9950. I had actually resolved never to buy another Canon.
Nevertheless I bought the 9950 but with a firm intention of raising merry if I
saw any hint of banding. Sure enough a test print had banding but by some wierd
coincidence another print didn't.

Then I realised what it was: Cheap generic photo paper!

My conclusion is that some papers are simply not wetted by the Canon pigment
inks, so the ink "pools" and gives banding effect. Use appropriate paper and
it's fine - very, very fine. For everyday use I am happily using Kodak everyday
photo paper. I love it!

dj

DJ wrote:

> Then I realised what it was: Cheap generic photo paper!
>
> My conclusion is that some papers are simply not wetted by the Canon pigment
> inks, so the ink "pools" and gives banding effect. Use appropriate paper and
> it's fine - very, very fine. For everyday use I am happily using Kodak everyday
> photo paper. I love it!
>
> dj

What do you mean, "pigment" inks? I didn't know Canon printers had
pigment inks...

Gary Eickmeier

HRosita wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just bought the i9900 and set it up yesterday. So far it looks good. All the
> reviews are good and it is the newest 13"x19" printer.
> Time will tell about the heads.
> Rosita

Hey to Rosita -

Just curious - how often do you anticipate using the 13x19 size? What for?

Gary Eickmeier

DJ

On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 05:37:48 GMT, Gary Eickmeier <geickmei@tampabay.rr.com>
wrote:

>DJ wrote:
>
>> Then I realised what it was: Cheap generic photo paper!
>>
>> My conclusion is that some papers are simply not wetted by the Canon pigment
>> inks, so the ink "pools" and gives banding effect. Use appropriate paper and
>> it's fine - very, very fine. For everyday use I am happily using Kodak everyday
>> photo paper. I love it!
>>
>> dj
>
>What do you mean, "pigment" inks? I didn't know Canon printers had
>pigment inks...

Maybe I'm wrong.

>Gary Eickmeier

george

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001

"Ben Thomas" <nosp@m.thanks.mate> wrote in message
> Bub wrote:
> > Before buying a new printer does anyone know if the print heads on the
I9900
> > or Ip8500 is any better than the S900 or S9000 series printers. They
both
> > claim 2pico drop size but the older ones had some banding problems at
times.
> > Has there been really any improvements besides just adding too colors?
> >

> I have the i9950 (i9900 + CD printing) and I have printed dozens of 6x4s
and
> about 30 8x10s since I bought it when it was first available with no
banding
> visible.

> Ben Thomas - Software Engineer - Melbourne, Australia
>
> My Digital World:
> Kodak DX6490, Canon i9950, Pioneer A05;
> Hitachi 37" HD plasma display, DGTEC 2000A,
> Denon 2800, H/K AVR4500, Whatmough Encore;
> Sony Ericsson K700i, Palm Tungsten T.
>
> Disclaimer:
> Opinions, conclusions, and other information in this message that do not
> relate to the official business of my employer shall be understood as
neither
> given nor endorsed by it.

The i9950 sounds like just what I've been looking for...too, bad Canon
decided NOT to
sell it in the U.S.

DJ wrote:

> On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 05:37:48 GMT, Gary Eickmeier <geickmei@tampabay.rr.com>
> wrote:
>

> >DJ wrote:
> >
> >> Then I realised what it was: Cheap generic photo paper!
> >>
> >> My conclusion is that some papers are simply not wetted by the Canon pigment
> >> inks, so the ink "pools" and gives banding effect. Use appropriate paper and
> >> it's fine - very, very fine. For everyday use I am happily using Kodak everyday
> >> photo paper. I love it!
> >>
> >> dj
> >
> >What do you mean, "pigment" inks? I didn't know Canon printers had
> >pigment inks...
> >

> Maybe I'm wrong.
>
> >Gary Eickmeier

i9900/i9950 (European version) printers use the new Canon dye-based
ChromaPLUS inks, not pigmented - and it uses eight colors.

Quote from website: "Looking under the carriage hood reveals Canon's new
ChromaPLUS photo inking system which employs no fewer than eight ink
colours: cyan, magenta, yellow, black, light cyan, light magenta, red
and green. Each colour is installed as an individual ink cartridge
sitting side-by-side on top of the print-head."

Print life is quoted at +/- 100 years if prints are stored in an album,
about 25 years on display behind glass. This of course varies with the
light level, but there are print varnishes available which are reputed
to extend the print life by a factor of 10. Google for more info.

Colin

"Colin D" <ColinD@killspam.127.0.0.1> wrote in message

> DJ wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 05:37:48 GMT, Gary Eickmeier
<geickmei@tampabay.rr.com>
> > wrote:

Kodak everyday

> > >What do you mean, "pigment" inks? I didn't know Canon printers had
> > >pigment inks...
> > >

> > Maybe I'm wrong.
> >
> > >Gary Eickmeier
>
> i9900/i9950 (European version) printers use the new Canon dye-based
> ChromaPLUS inks, not pigmented - and it uses eight colors.
>
> Quote from website: "Looking under the carriage hood reveals Canon's new
> ChromaPLUS photo inking system which employs no fewer than eight ink
> colours: cyan, magenta, yellow, black, light cyan, light magenta, red
> and green. Each colour is installed as an individual ink cartridge
> sitting side-by-side on top of the print-head."
>
> Print life is quoted at +/- 100 years if prints are stored in an album,
> about 25 years on display behind glass. This of course varies with the
> light level, but there are print varnishes available which are reputed
> to extend the print life by a factor of 10. Google for more info.
>
> Colin

These "new" ChromaPLUS inks can't be all that new, because they're
the same BCI6-xx series used in the i9xx series, aren't they?

Bob

bub

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2002

It is just another sales ploy, same old inks.

In article <gtydnWHw-5DRBkDcRVn-vA@comcast.com>,
"Bub" <Bub@comcast.net> wrote:

> It is just another sales ploy, same old inks.

What do you base this statement on? Since the 9900 has two extra ink
cartridges they can obviously not be all the same inks as at least 2 of
them were not used by Canon before.

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.

Bob Salomon wrote:
> In article <gtydnWHw-5DRBkDcRVn-vA@comcast.com>,
> "Bub" <Bub@comcast.net> wrote:
>

>>It is just another sales ploy, same old inks.
>

> What do you base this statement on? Since the 9900 has two extra ink
> cartridges they can obviously not be all the same inks as at least 2 of
> them were not used by Canon before.

The other 6 are the same as used by older printers. They still have the same
model number - BCI-6.

George wrote:

> The i9950 sounds like just what I've been looking for...too, bad Canon
> decided NOT to
> sell it in the U.S.

Probaly some legal issue they were worried about.