Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question
Solved

GTX 470 refresh

Tags:
  • Nvidia
  • Gtx
  • Performance
  • Cooling
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics Cards
August 11, 2010 2:44:27 PM

With the performance and heat/power improvements made in the GF104 and GTX460, does anyone expect a refresh any time soon of the GTX470 using the same GF104?

Here's the deal. I have the step-up program from EVGA until Sept 21st. It would be awesome if a faster, cooler, and quieter card came out that I could step up to. Heck, if it was the same performance, but cooler and quieter, I would probably still spend the money assuming the price was not much more.

Anyways, just thinking out loud I guess. What do you guys think?

More about : gtx 470 refresh

a b Î Nvidia
August 11, 2010 3:00:54 PM

From what I understand there will be a GTX485 with all 512 stream processors and a 20MHz higher clock. I do not believe they will replace the GTX470, but they might. I think demand will dictate this, but now that the GTX460 is out they may not be looking to fill that void with another card.

http://www.thinq.co.uk/2010/6/15/rumour-geforce-gtx-485...
m
0
l
August 11, 2010 3:02:42 PM

Any GTX 470 refresh will use the GF104 with the full 384 SPs.Any GTX 480 refresh will use the GF100 with 512 SPs.
m
0
l
Related resources

Best solution

August 11, 2010 3:28:41 PM

from what iv heard the 470 and the 480 are going to be replaced by the 475 and 485. No details yet the on 475 but the 485 spec's are as follows :

GF100
720/1440/924
512 SP's
1475 Gigaflops
64 TMU's
46.080 M/T's
48 ROP's
384 bit DDR5


Share
August 11, 2010 5:00:58 PM

hmmmmmm well its good to know that there are at least rumors of a refresh. i guess i will just have to keep my fingers crossed.
m
0
l
a c 926 Î Nvidia
August 11, 2010 7:59:14 PM

My guess is probably no upgraded cards before September 21st. Most new releases this summer will be in the budget category.
m
0
l
August 11, 2010 8:20:43 PM

hey, i am quite new to the forum and technical talk. i have just got a new rig with a gtx 470, its being delivered on saturday. what do these replacements mean for me? have a just made a big mistake?
m
0
l
August 11, 2010 8:28:48 PM

nvidiafanboi said:
hey, i am quite new to the forum and technical talk. i have just got a new rig with a gtx 470, its being delivered on saturday. what do these replacements mean for me? have a just made a big mistake?


you are fine, just make sure you have adequate airflow ;) 
m
0
l
August 11, 2010 8:32:17 PM

right. well the case i am getting is the antec 300. i have purchased 2 additional 120mm fans for the front, not sure about the side fan because of front to back airflow, dont want to mess with it.

i see you have an antec 300. what did you go for?

thanks.
m
0
l
August 11, 2010 8:43:08 PM

nvidiafanboi said:
right. well the case i am getting is the antec 300. i have purchased 2 additional 120mm fans for the front, not sure about the side fan because of front to back airflow, dont want to mess with it.

i see you have an antec 300. what did you go for?

thanks.


Dual 120mm 2k RPM "Rosewill" Blue LED fans for intake.

Modded the side panel and installed a clear plexi (no fan)

Single 120mm 2k RPM "Rosewill" Blue LED fan for the exhaust (optional since the case already comes with the back exhaust).

Swapped the top 140mm stock fan for a Xigmatek 140mm 1k RPM "white LED" (again optional since the case comes with a nice 140mm).

I wanted to be able to adjust all my fans via a scythe fan controller. Airflow is much better than the stock setup that I had before I modded the case.


m
0
l
a c 224 Î Nvidia
August 11, 2010 8:47:22 PM

OvrClkr said:
from what iv heard the 470 and the 480 are going to be replaced by the 475 and 485. No details yet the on 475 but the 485 spec's are as follows :

GF100
720/1440/924
512 SP's
1475 Gigaflops
64 TMU's
46.080 M/T's
48 ROP's
384 bit DDR5

Seen this yet? I don't know how trustworthy the source is though as they mention reflashing the BIOS at one stage to get clock speeds to match. The power consumption figure they come up with is rather extraordinary as well to say the least!
m
0
l
a c 224 Î Nvidia
August 11, 2010 9:09:33 PM

Yeah, I would really like to know how they managed to get that much power to the card with the connections available. :lol: 
m
0
l
August 11, 2010 9:21:38 PM

Mousemonkey said:
Seen this yet? I don't know how trustworthy the source is though as they mention reflashing the BIOS at one stage to get clock speeds to match. The power consumption figure they come up with is rather extraordinary as well to say the least!
http://www.expreview.com/img/review/512sp_GTX480/gz.png


nice catch!!

seems legit to me but there are a few typos. The power consumption/core voltage is wrong...



seems like a 5 frame boost "overall" :??: 



[:jaydeejohn:4]

i guess we will have to wait for some tests done by Anand/Guru, these tests are kinda sketchy ATM..
m
0
l
August 12, 2010 3:58:47 AM

200w more than the 480 SP version seems a bit sketchy to me. I read about this in another forum today as well.
m
0
l
August 19, 2010 6:10:19 PM

Best answer selected by touchdowntexas13.
m
0
l
August 19, 2010 6:15:20 PM

I doubt those numbers are accurate, an extra 32 SP's is not going to consume 200w.

I would just wait for the card to be released and tested by a legit source.
m
0
l
August 19, 2010 7:13:11 PM

My problem is that I would REALLY love to hear about something substancial with the GTX 475. Then I would get an EVGA GTX 470 for the step-up later down the road. Otherwise I'm staying clear of EVGA like the plague since they bin their reference spec cards horribly.

In case you didn't know, all Fermi cards have a variable VID like CPUs, and EVGA bins all the decent VIDs for their factory overclocked cards, and the stock models end up with horrible VIDs, which means horrible overclocking. Sadly, the step-up program only applies to the reference cards. :( 
m
0
l
August 19, 2010 7:17:18 PM

AMW1011 said:
My problem is that I would REALLY love to hear about something substancial with the GTX 475. Then I would get an EVGA GTX 470 for the step-up later down the road. Otherwise I'm staying clear of EVGA like the plague since they bin their reference spec cards horribly.

In case you didn't know, all Fermi cards have a variable VID like CPUs, and EVGA bins all the decent VIDs for their factory overclocked cards, and the stock models end up with horrible VIDs, which means horrible overclocking. Sadly, the step-up program only applies to the reference cards. :( 


Not totally true, my stock evga vanilla 470 has one of the better VIDs i've seen.
m
0
l
August 19, 2010 7:37:19 PM

True, its more of a trend then anything, and I do admit it effects the GTX 480 the most. However, I've seen it be pretty bad, while Asus seems to have the best binning.
m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
August 19, 2010 7:58:09 PM

nvidiafanboi said:
right. well the case i am getting is the antec 300. i have purchased 2 additional 120mm fans for the front, not sure about the side fan because of front to back airflow, dont want to mess with it.

i see you have an antec 300. what did you go for?

thanks.

FYI the 300 has the top and back fans while the 300 Illusion adds both front fans pre-installed.
m
0
l