Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Cache
  • AMD
  • Computers
Last response: in CPUs
December 14, 2010 4:56:44 PM

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I must call upon the knowledge and expertise of people better at computers than me. I have recently unlocked my AMD Athlon X3 445 to a Phenom II X4 B45. I seemed to have unlocked the 4th core but the level 3 cache is not showing up. I have read that the deneb die usually have the L3 cache, I am wondering if it is unlockable or is it just not there?

Thanks

More about : unlocking amd athlon 445

a b à CPUs
December 14, 2010 5:02:44 PM

You aren't the 1st one to report it.

I unlocked my 555 and got quad core Denab B55 with the 6mb cache.

Seems to be down to luck, if you get it you get it, at least you have 4 cores, lots don't get that. :p 
m
l
a c 131 à CPUs
a b À AMD
December 15, 2010 12:36:41 AM

beanoslim said:
You aren't the 1st one to report it.

I unlocked my 555 and got quad core Denab B55 with the 6mb cache.

Seems to be down to luck, if you get it you get it, at least you have 4 cores, lots don't get that. :p 

Uhh... That's because the 555 has a deneb core and already has the cache...

Your Athlon does not have the cache present at all, so it cannot be unlocked. Only very early Athlon IIx4 could be unlocked with the cache because they were actually deneb cores with disabled cache. This is no longer the case and newer Athlons do not have the cache at all.

If you have a C2 stepping Athlon IIx4 that also reads as a deneb core, I believe that is the only case where you can unlock the cache. I have an Athlon IIx4 that does not read as a deneb core. There is nothing to unlock. I tired anyway. There was nothing.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
December 15, 2010 5:36:48 AM

Enzo is right, with the Athlon II chip the cache is physically not present and thus cannot be unlocked. At least you have a 4th core that appears to be stable.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 15, 2010 9:33:53 AM

enzo matrix said:
Uhh... That's because the 555 has a deneb core and already has the cache...

Your Athlon does not have the cache present at all, so it cannot be unlocked. Only very early Athlon IIx4 could be unlocked with the cache because they were actually deneb cores with disabled cache. This is no longer the case and newer Athlons do not have the cache at all.

If you have a C2 stepping Athlon IIx4 that also reads as a deneb core, I believe that is the only case where you can unlock the cache. I have an Athlon IIx4 that does not read as a deneb core. There is nothing to unlock. I tired anyway. There was nothing.

Well that is where the confusion lay, his unlocked cpu is reading as a Denab but with no L3.

I was just pointing out that my Denab read B55 and his Denab read B45, I wondered if this was relevant.
m
l
a c 103 à CPUs
a b À AMD
December 15, 2010 2:29:47 PM

^Its because your original spec was 55 and his was 45,
my X3 435 lists as a x4 B35 after unlocking
mines Deneb too but no L3,
Moto
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 15, 2010 2:34:36 PM

Gotcha. [:bohleyk:1]
m
l
a c 131 à CPUs
a b À AMD
December 15, 2010 10:11:54 PM

Just like google Wave says when there's an error:

"Everything's shiny Capt'n. Not to fret!"
m
l
a c 103 à CPUs
a b À AMD
December 16, 2010 4:58:51 AM

Mmmm, Kaylee quotes...
/drool
:p 
Moto
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 17, 2010 3:45:41 PM

If they were basically the same cpu's i.e. nm, ghz, BE I'd pick the quad for what I use it for.
m
l
!