Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Integrated vs Integrated

Last response: in Components
December 14, 2010 6:43:47 PM

Out of these Two CPU's, What would be the better "integrated" graphics performer.
Intel core i3 540
AMD Phenom ii X2 555

Does the motherboard used make a difference, (e.g work/not work).

:pt1cable:  little bit curious of what's what :)  tnx

More about : integrated integrated

December 14, 2010 6:45:00 PM

Well the i3 has a pretty good integrated chip built-in to the CPU die. However, the AMD does not. It depends on what motherboard you're coupling with the AMD.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

December 14, 2010 8:07:03 PM

No AMD processor that is currently out has the IGP on the die, they have it in the northbridge, it will be a while before fusion is released with it on the CPU die itself. The one you linked uses an older nVidia IGP, the newer AMD IGPs are much stronger, they are on the 890GX, 880G, 790GX, 785G, and 780G, those 5 have pretty similar integrated graphics that are pretty good for being IGPs.
December 14, 2010 9:50:55 PM

Thanks for clearing that up with me :) 
m
l
December 15, 2010 12:29:36 AM

Given that all posts by the OP are questions, I think it is appropriate that this thread be a Question type thread.
m
l
December 15, 2010 12:29:38 AM

hunter315 said:
No AMD processor that is currently out has the IGP on the die, they have it in the northbridge, it will be a while before fusion is released with it on the CPU die itself. The one you linked uses an older nVidia IGP, the newer AMD IGPs are much stronger, they are on the 890GX, 880G, 790GX, 785G, and 780G, those 5 have pretty similar integrated graphics that are pretty good for being IGPs.

For sure. Those are some really good IGPs on those chipsets. Just also remember that anything ending in an "FX" does not include onboard graphics (eg 890FX).

it will be a while before fusion is released with it on the CPU die itself
I take it you haven't been paying attention to the tech demos in the past couple of months?
m
l
December 15, 2010 12:36:14 AM

Depends on your definition of the word "awhile" enzo and what rumors you believe. We for sure are closer now then we've ever been, but desktop parts are still rumored to be in the second half of next year. Which means 6+ months at best.
m
l
December 15, 2010 12:42:59 AM

4745454b said:
Depends on your definition of the word "awhile" enzo and what rumors you believe. We for sure are closer now then we've ever been, but desktop parts are still rumored to be in the second half of next year. Which means 6+ months at best.

Oh I see what you mean. Mainstream mid to high end desktop solutions.
m
l
December 15, 2010 2:56:54 AM

The bobcat based parts are due in a few months, Leno? Whatever they call it. None of us will really be gaming on those parts however so I doubt that's what the OP was asking about.

I know we've told the OP that you need to use a G board to have AMD integrated graphics, but has anyone mentioned that the i3 would be faster?
m
l
December 15, 2010 2:36:42 PM

Best answer selected by CsG_kieran_2.
m
l
December 15, 2010 2:39:24 PM

randomizer said:
Given that all posts by the OP are questions, I think it is appropriate that this thread be a Question type thread.

^Nah, it gets people talking about what's what. One person opinion is never enough :) 

Fusion is ages away so am all about sandy bridge right now. what's all the rave about it anyways? Intel has IGP on the die for ages now, lol am missing something here.. i know :)  tnx
m
l
December 15, 2010 10:08:42 PM

CsG_kieran_2 said:
^Nah, it gets people talking about what's what. One person opinion is never enough :) 

Fusion is ages away so am all about sandy bridge right now. what's all the rave about it anyways? Intel has IGP on the die for ages now, lol am missing something here.. i know :)  tnx

You are missing something. It hasn't been on the die. It's been a separate die beside the CPU die.
Like so
m
l
!