Tags:
  • Asus
  • Video
  • Monitors
  • SLI
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
August 11, 2011 9:57:28 PM

The video processing on my Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe mobo has crapped out. It is not the video card or the monitor because both work on a different PC.

This started yesterday afternoon when the computer suddenly rebooted itself (no BSOD). When Windows XP loaded back up, the visible screen resolution was 1024x768 with mouse panning to my native resolution of 1680x1050. In other words, the entire 1680x1050 was accessible, but only 1024x768 at a time.

I tried several things to correct the situation. Reinstalled the video and monitor drivers with no success. Last night, after rebooting I noticed that the monitor didn't come alive until Windows XP was fully loaded. It just hung in standby mode without a signal.

Then today, after rebooting again, the monitor never came alive at all. Windows XP seems to load just fine (I can hear the welcome music) but the monitor doesn't come out of standby mode. When cycling the power on the monitor, it gives a "No Signal" message.

I presume the mobo is dead. Any suggestions at this point? I'm totally baffled by this.

More about : m2n sli deluxe video processing dead

August 12, 2011 9:47:21 AM

If nobody has any ideas, could somebody at least recommend a replacement mobo + CPU? Might as well upgrade now if I'm forced to do it. Current processor is an Athlon X2 5600+.

I'm not a gamer, so I'd like to find something as efficient (if not better) than before without sacrificing performance.
Score

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
August 12, 2011 12:06:19 PM

What makes you think it's the board? I mean it could be a bad PCIe socket, but did you check to make sure that the card was seated correctly? Power to the card? Etc...

Before I would go and rip my board out I would check my PSU (what do you have by the way). The formula is easy, no juice to the card = no images displayed.

Also, I'm not trying to sound like an asshole but before anyone can recommend anything we need to know a few things, ie - case, psu, memory, etc...

http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-de...

you could always go for something like this... and it's only $279.00!
Related resources
August 12, 2011 7:54:16 PM

I tried the video card in both PCIe sockets. The manual "recommends" the blue socket be used for a single card. For what it's worth, I tried the black socket and it did not work either. What I did was test the video card and monitor from a different, but functional PC, and do a full swap. My original video card and monitor worked with the other computer, but not vice versa. Does that make sense?

The power supply is a Silencer model from PC Power & Cooling/OCZ. I tested the PSU with a multimeter and all voltages are well within tolerances, some right on the money.

This is how I came to the conclusion the motherboard is bad.

The case is one of those high-end Antec models. I don't remember the model but there's no need to replace it.

Score
a b V Motherboard
August 13, 2011 7:29:23 PM

seligman said:
I tried the video card in both PCIe sockets. The manual "recommends" the blue socket be used for a single card. For what it's worth, I tried the black socket and it did not work either. What I did was test the video card and monitor from a different, but functional PC, and do a full swap. My original video card and monitor worked with the other computer, but not vice versa. Does that make sense?

The power supply is a Silencer model from PC Power & Cooling/OCZ. I tested the PSU with a multimeter and all voltages are well within tolerances, some right on the money.

This is how I came to the conclusion the motherboard is bad.

The case is one of those high-end Antec models. I don't remember the model but there's no need to replace it.

Yeah I would say it's the board.

Good luck!
Score
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b C Monitor
a b V Motherboard
January 29, 2012 2:39:29 PM

Best answer selected by mousemonkey.
Score
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b C Monitor
a b V Motherboard