Faulty memory - using MemTest

everybest

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007
Hey, I bought 4x4GB of Kingston's Sandy Bridge PnP cards and recently (I've only owned this laptop a month), ive been getting blue screens due to "Memory Manager" and Starcraft 2 occassionally crashes because of "Access Violation" with the memory.

I booted up MemTest not knowing how to use it, and overnight (7.5 hours) it had 100k+ errors (2 passes).

What should I be doing now? Do I unplug all RAM and run MemTest with 1 stick at a time? I read online I should be running it for at least 4-5 passes, but I'm assuming that as soon as I get an error (whether its 5 seconds in or 5 hours in) I can cancel the test and label it faulty?

Solution
make sure the bios is setting the correct speed for the ram and correct voltage my board sets 1600mhz at 1.5v when it should be 1.65v--setting it manually solves all the problems or setting xmp does as well

if settings are ok then yes memtest one module at a time--errors usually show up very quickly so no need to run it ages
make sure the bios is setting the correct speed for the ram and correct voltage my board sets 1600mhz at 1.5v when it should be 1.65v--setting it manually solves all the problems or setting xmp does as well

if settings are ok then yes memtest one module at a time--errors usually show up very quickly so no need to run it ages

Solution

everybest

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007
Thanks, I checked out the bios. I'm using a Dell M4600 so they have their own setup interface. I couldn't find a place to set the memory options, but it was showing the right speed. Didn't show voltage anywhere, but my sticks are 1.5v.

TRENDING THREADS