Sign in with
Your question

How do you do a fresh install on a SSD that had files and Windows on

Last response: in Storage
December 30, 2012 8:37:31 PM

I have the Samsung 830 128GB SSD for my desktop. It was my boot drive as well as it containing my old motherboard drivers. Do I go into BIOS (after new parts are installed), make the Windows 7 disc (my SATA DVD-RW drive) as the boot drive, then place 2nd, the SSD drive? When I went into Windows 7 install, I put Windows in SSD (although I think it automatically saw the other windows and moved it calling it, Windows old.) It put Windows 7 on SSD and when I loaded desktop, Windows was there, I deleted Windows 7 old and any old drivers I saw there. Was is ok? How do I do a fresh install (delete everything on SSD and start fresh wwith Windows 7). If I goofed, how can I right the wrong? Samsung Magician?
a b $ Windows 7
a c 86 G Storage
December 30, 2012 9:23:57 PM

Fresh install: make the dvd your first boot device, start the installation. At some point, windows asks you, where to install to. There you click on advanced disk options and delete all existing partitions on the ssd and select the now unallocated space for the installation.
m
l
December 30, 2012 10:49:02 PM

noidea_77 said:
Fresh install: make the dvd your first boot device, start the installation. At some point, windows asks you, where to install to. There you click on advanced disk options and delete all existing partitions on the ssd and select the now unallocated space for the installation.

Thank you for responding. Samsung's website didn't say that so thank goodness you explained it. The explanation in their FAQ didn't seem right.

I did see that in installation but was afraid to do it. How do I know which is the right one to delete. I remember none showed 128GB (which is my hard drives total space) or it will never show because some is automatically allocated for cache?
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
a c 86 G Storage
December 31, 2012 11:06:27 AM

There are two partitions to delete. The first is the 100mb bootloader at the beginning of the ssd and the second should be the next behind it. It will never show the 128GB anywhere, because that is a - for marketing reasons - miscalculated raw capacity. The real raw size is around 119GB, the formated even less.
m
l
January 2, 2013 2:51:08 PM

noidea_77 said:
There are two partitions to delete. The first is the 100mb bootloader at the beginning of the ssd and the second should be the next behind it. It will never show the 128GB anywhere, because that is a - for marketing reasons - miscalculated raw capacity. The real raw size is around 119GB, the formated even less.

Thank you. I deleted the one but it just kept coming back. I didn't delete the one that said 100GB. I can live with it; is this still ok? I only have Windows on the SSD, nothing else. I still have about 70GB left.
m
l
!