Different brands and different components.

aidynphoenix

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2009
Hello.
i like to build my own computers and am also a bit of a amature tech.
i have repaired manny powersupply's and have done some soundcard mods..

i am wanting to buy a new powersupply and a new videocard.
but i am really wanting to buy something that i am sure is useing very high quality capaciators..
especially the powersupply.
reason being when the 12v, 5v and 3.3v rail filter caps begin to buldge the voltages can fluctuate and be dangerious for your components and make your computer unstable..

i am really wanting this power supply to last me more than 4 short years.. im getting tired of replacing caps.
i dont want to spend $80 on a powersupply and put my faith in it.. than have to repair it later on because my computer has become unstable..

does anybody know any brands that use better caps than any others??
or have any powersupply reccomdations..

at the moment the corsair psu's on newegg are looking pretty good. but i have no experience with the brand.

Corsair, Seasonic, Antec. You cant go wrong with either of them. If possible get the gold certified one's. They are really high quality but do come at a price. About the amount of wattage, it would be better that if you tell us what you have then we can say which model you can pick up.

aidynphoenix

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2009
thanks hell storm..
my computer::
AMD64x2 5000+ @2.6ghz <orig, overclock to 2.8ghz. useing AI N.O.S.
Asus M2N SLI Deluxe mobo..
4x1GB DDR2-800 Ram
Nvidia 9600GT. (silent)
Soundblaster Audigy Zs soundcard.
2x 500gb Sata Hdd
5x 80mm case fans. all low power draw. about .20a each. + psu heatsink fan .30a

my current psu is a 500w.

Since you have a 500W PSU, it should be enough for a single 9600GT with OC. Only thing is which brand is it? If its some cheap generic brand then i suggest you change it.

Your situation gives rise to two situations:

1. If you want to change the PSU anyways, and you may upgrade your system later to a beast, then i suggest the Seasonic X750W/X850W to be the best solution (futureproof)! This one would last you 4-5 years heavy use easily, unless you are unlucky to end up with a defective piece. That is rare!

2. If you plan to stick to your current config for a while, or even if you do upgrade in future to modest config, then Corsair VX450W/VX550W would do you good. I have the VX450W and its an awesome PSU. Probably this PSU is a the benchmark of Corsair fame! :)

aidynphoenix

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2009
ok i am trying to calculate wattage.. correct me plz if i am doing this wrong..

5x .20a fans.. so 5x .20 = 1amp
1amp X 12v =12watts?
so 12watts of power for all 5 fans?

now if each hdd draws 1a from the 12v rail...
1a+1a=2a X 12volts= 24watts?

if a videocard draws 10A on the 12v rail. 10a X 12v 120w

That's about it. But with increasing parts, it gets hard to keep track of. So best way is to check up a review of the GPU that you have in your PC. Most of the review use pretty heavy duty PC's. So add 100W to the wattage that they have shown on load and get that PSU. That's what i do. :)