Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Budget of $1400 for Graphics Cards. Expert advice appreciated

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
August 11, 2010 8:07:33 PM




So I am purchasing Graphic cards for my son for doing a stellar job graduating college. I need some help deciding what to buy. I see so many arguments advocating for so many different types of cards so I am still at a loss as to which ones to buy. My son is a major gamer and he plays games like Crysis and other really graphic intensive games. Keep in mind I have a budget of $1400-1500 for these cards. I would like to hear an argument and some reasoning as to why I should purchase whatever cards you recommend because nothing I have heard so far has set my mind on any particular model so far. Your expert knowledge is appreciated


Here is what I have built for him so far:


Thermal Take case
Intel i7 975 CPU
EVGA 3X SLI Classified Mobo
12GB Kingston Hyper X 1600 Mghz RAM
300 Gb Velociraptor HD
1100 Watt PSU


Pretty Much the same as my own system:) 
August 11, 2010 8:08:59 PM

2 radeon 5970's in quad-crossfire.

/thread
m
0
l
August 11, 2010 8:10:19 PM

Thats what I was thinking unless anyone else has something to say about that
m
0
l
Related resources
August 11, 2010 8:10:58 PM

well w/ that kind of budget why not go w/ three GTX 470/480's
m
0
l
August 11, 2010 8:12:09 PM

oooen1gmaooo said:
well w/ that kind of budget why not go w/ three GTX 470/480's


He is only asking for graphics cards, not a stove.
m
0
l
August 11, 2010 8:13:08 PM

I have heard that to but Im not sure why I would go with that option. Most people say that 2 HD 5970 would wax 3 gtx 470/480 s. Can you elaborate on that?
m
0
l
August 11, 2010 8:14:43 PM

its only a stove if you dont have good air flow, get a case w/ plenty of fans and you will be good
m
0
l
August 11, 2010 8:15:01 PM

I have 2 GTX 295's and they get really hot but they aren't to bad. They havnt over heated with the fans on Max ....YET :lol: 
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
August 11, 2010 8:15:46 PM

cowgod2007 said:
He is only asking for graphics cards, not a stove.


+1!

I am pretty sure that the 1.1kW PSU woudln't run 3x 480's I dont know about 3x 470's
Dual 5970's would work just make sure your board is Crossfire capable
m
0
l
August 11, 2010 8:15:50 PM

also w/ the extra money you save not getting the 5970's you could put that money into water cooling
m
0
l
August 11, 2010 8:17:16 PM

I guess I dont understan. Why would 3 GTX 480's (3 GPU's) be better than 2 HD 5970's (4 GPU's). Am i missing something?
m
0
l
August 11, 2010 8:18:46 PM

oooen1gmaooo said:
also w/ the extra money you save not getting the 5970's you could put that money into water cooling



Only the CPU has water cooling so far (Corsair h50). Good point
m
0
l
August 11, 2010 8:21:08 PM

monstermankc said:
I guess I dont understan. Why would 3 GTX 480's (3 GPU's) be better than 2 HD 5970's (4 GPU's). Am i missing something?


(1) gtx 480 beats (1) radeon 5870 by a decent margin, which is the GPU used in the 5970, and quad crossfire does not scale well.

However, you also have to consider power consumption + heat. a 5970 beats gtx 480 in that category.
m
0
l
August 11, 2010 8:23:47 PM

Hes got a big budget so jus get a better PSU and Case w/ good airflow (Or water cooling)
m
0
l
August 11, 2010 8:25:36 PM

1100 Watts should do the job I hope
m
0
l
August 11, 2010 8:28:09 PM

I suggest just going regular crossfire or sli and just get (1) 5970 or (2) gtx 480's. Anything more will be overkill and you could just save that money for future upgrades. No point in splurging over 1k for graphics when in a few years it will become out of date.
m
0
l
August 11, 2010 8:31:39 PM

^agreed
Two GTX 480's w/ a slight OC will do wonders, and with all the money you save you can go w/ three monitors or 3d since hes really into gaming. I plan on Dual 470's on three monitors and I cant wait!!!!
m
0
l
August 11, 2010 8:33:07 PM

I think Im leaning towards 3 GTX 480's. Like I said he worked really hard to get through college and a stellar gaming system is what he has always wanted and he has never had one quiet like the one I am building him
m
0
l
August 11, 2010 8:35:18 PM

monstermankc said:
I think Im leaning towards 3 GTX 480's. Like I said he worked really hard to get through college and a stellar gaming system is what he has always wanted and he has never had one quiet like the one I am building him


Get him a strippper or something with the money you saved by going 2 gtx 480's :ange: 
m
0
l
August 11, 2010 8:37:10 PM

I will save the stripper for his bachelor party if he ever has one :lol: 
m
0
l
August 11, 2010 8:42:43 PM

yes you can but i wont be as smooth as two GTX 480's, but at smaller resolutions and medium settings it should be do able
m
0
l
August 11, 2010 8:43:39 PM

What monitors were those? Also, is it possible to run 2 GTX 480's with a GTX 295? I have way to many cards and not enough knowledge lol. I wish I had more time to read about these things
m
0
l
August 11, 2010 8:45:06 PM

monstermankc said:
What monitors were those? Also, is it possible to run 2 GTX 480's with a GTX 295? I have way to many cards and not enough knowledge lol. I wish I had more time to read about these things


No. They are not from the same architecture family and therefore will not be compatible
m
0
l
August 11, 2010 8:46:40 PM

That is because the GTX 295 is Direct X 10 and the GTX 480 is Direct X 11 right? or wrong
m
0
l
August 11, 2010 8:47:49 PM

im not sure on those monitors, but as long as they are matching monitors then you can use any monitors you want
m
0
l
August 11, 2010 8:49:19 PM

monstermankc said:
That is because the GTX 295 is Direct X 10 and the GTX 480 is Direct X 11 right? or wrong


Not really. The architectures, or how they process data, is different. Basically, you need cards from the same architecture family to sli/crossfire. gtx 295 and gtx 480 are from two different generations and families.
m
0
l
August 11, 2010 8:51:59 PM

Quote:
If u really want to satisfy him then buy 3 gtx480.and a samsung 120hrz 3d monitor and the 3d vision kit from nvidia.then run avatar the game in 3d and dirt2.your son will get the experience of a life time.

The only thing that can make that better is three 3d monitors
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
August 11, 2010 8:59:17 PM

monstermankc said:
So I am purchasing Graphic cards for my son for doing a stellar job graduating college. I need some help deciding what to buy. I see so many arguments advocating for so many different types of cards so I am still at a loss as to which ones to buy. My son is a major gamer and he plays games like Crysis and other really graphic intensive games. Keep in mind I have a budget of $1400-1500 for these cards. I would like to hear an argument and some reasoning as to why I should purchase whatever cards you recommend because nothing I have heard so far has set my mind on any particular model so far. Your expert knowledge is appreciated


Here is what I have built for him so far:


Thermal Take case
Intel i7 975 CPU
EVGA 3X SLI Classified Mobo
12GB Kingston Hyper X 1600 Mghz RAM
300 Gb Velociraptor HD
1100 Watt PSU


Pretty Much the same as my own system:) 


what screen will your son be using?
m
0
l
August 11, 2010 9:04:59 PM

oooen1gmaooo said:
Quote:
If u really want to satisfy him then buy 3 gtx480.and a samsung 120hrz 3d monitor and the 3d vision kit from nvidia.then run avatar the game in 3d and dirt2.your son will get the experience of a life time.

The only thing that can make that better is three 3d monitors



Good idea. I may do that but how much $$$ am I looking at for all of that. Any GTX manufacturer in mind?
m
0
l
August 11, 2010 9:05:06 PM

3D monitors and glasses are way too expensive IMO, but might fit into OP's budget. Eyefinity itself is just breath taking btw
m
0
l
August 11, 2010 9:11:44 PM

Hey dad.. WTF.. you dont call you dont write..I ddint get go to college where were you all my life...at least you can do is give me $1400 for new cards too, my paypl address is ........
m
0
l
August 11, 2010 9:16:44 PM

Quote:
you really need to do ur graduation again becoz ur english writing skill is worser than a chinese man writing eng.


I see something wrong here...
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
August 11, 2010 9:18:59 PM

Quote:
3d monitor are expensive but nvidia 3d glasses are not that expensive.@op u can give him a good 3d experience with 2 gtx480 also.Eyefinity is not at all immersive as compared to those eyepopping effect of 3d.


3d glasses from nvidia cost about $100 each. don't know what you consider expensive...
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
August 11, 2010 9:21:31 PM

Quote:
You really need to go to school again because your english writing skills are worse than a chinese man writing english


fixed it for ya :D 
m
0
l
August 11, 2010 9:27:42 PM

Weren't we talking about graphic cards and monitors? Who cares about spelling
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
August 11, 2010 9:29:24 PM

monstermankc said:
Weren't we talking about graphic cards and monitors? Who cares about spelling


just pointing out the hypocracy of dipankar2007ind's statement...
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
August 11, 2010 9:29:48 PM

Quote:
3 3d monitor will even bring trisli 480 to its knees when u try running a game at maxsetting with full 3d glory.And 3d is not enjoyable with bad framerate.2 monitor should be ok.


says who??

i have seen triple 22" screens run off a single 8800GTX with a triple heads-to-go and it did not bring the card to its knees.

@ everyone else posting on this thread ( including dipankar2007i ), there is a lot of misleading info here so make sure you stay on topic and do not disrespect anyone. The OP asked a simple question, either answer correctly or I will close the thread.
m
0
l
August 11, 2010 9:32:05 PM

Does anyone still love the GTX 295's in SLI? How do they compare to the new graphic cards on the market
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
August 11, 2010 9:34:07 PM

monstermankc said:
Does anyone still love the GTX 295's in SLI? How do they compare to the new graphic cards on the market


295's are still a viable option, but I would go with more current cards (gtx 4xx series or hd 5xxx series)
m
0
l
August 11, 2010 9:37:13 PM

OvrClkr said:
says who??

i have seen triple 22" screens run off a single 8800GTX with a triple heads-to-go and it did not bring the card to its knees.

@ everyone else posting on this thread ( including dipankar2007i ), there is a lot of misleading info here so make sure you stay on topic and do not disrespect anyone. The OP asked a simple question, either answer correctly or I will close the thread.


Whats the res? Were they able to play games at a decent framerate with decent settings?
m
0
l
August 11, 2010 9:41:29 PM

Very True. Is it possible to play games in 3D on the HD 5970's in quad crossfire?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
August 11, 2010 9:42:57 PM

monstermankc said:
Very True. Is it possible to play games in 3D on the HD 5970's in quad crossfire?


not yet, ati has yet to release a 3d technology, but rumors say they are developing it
m
0
l
!