No display when using graphics card.

Smallarf

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2011
Just built my first computer and I've hit a slight road block. I have a GPU ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3 as my Motherboard and I'm (trying) to use the XFX Radeon HD 6850 Graphics card. Problem is, whenever the card is plugged in, I get no display. Unplugging it gets me the entry into everything, BIOS, Windows 7 ect.

I've looked around and can't seem to find an answer. I know it's not a lack of power, card says 550W, my PSU is 600W. Any advice?

Solution
I assume that you have the monitor plugged into the motherboard when you do not have the video card plugged in, and you are using the on-board graphics?

Do you move the monitor cable to the video card when you plug in the video card? When you use a video card, the on-board video is disabled, and the video signal comes out of the sockets on the video card, unless you enable Crossfire X (and I think you have to plug the monitor into the video card to enable it).

compulsivebuilder

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2011
I assume that you have the monitor plugged into the motherboard when you do not have the video card plugged in, and you are using the on-board graphics?

Do you move the monitor cable to the video card when you plug in the video card? When you use a video card, the on-board video is disabled, and the video signal comes out of the sockets on the video card, unless you enable Crossfire X (and I think you have to plug the monitor into the video card to enable it).

Solution