SOLVED: Possible Dead PSU?

djotaku

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2010
Before I forget, I took a look at these threads: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/248560-28-tripping-house-supply http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/272482-31-build-trips-circuit-breaker http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/117405-28-urgent .

Here's my system (just got/built this in Sept of this year):

1 x Crucial RealSSD C300 CTFDDAC064MAG-1G1 2.5" 64GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
* 1 x LG DVD Burner - Bulk Black SATA Model GH24LS50 LightScribe Support - OEM
* 1 x Thermaltake Element V Black Edition Steel Full Tower Computer Case Colorshift Fans VL200K1W2Z
* 1 x Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM
* 1 x CyberLink PowerDVD 9, 3D edition
* 1 x GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
* 1 x Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
* 1 x CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply
* 1 x Verbatim 25GB 2X BD-R LTH Single Jewel Case Disc (use w/LTH Compat Drive) 96569 - OEM
* 1 x LG Black 10X Blu-ray Burner - Bulk SATA WH10LS30 LightScribe Support - OEM
* 1 x Intel Core i7-930 Bloomfield 2.8GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80601930
* 1 x Crucial 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model CT3KIT25664BA1067
* 1 x MSI N250GTS Twin Frozr 1G GeForce GTS 250 1GB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Everything has been working perfectly fine since I built it in Sept. Computer is plugged into a UPS. Last night I had the computer turned on and, from my room, I hear the beep of the UPS. I go to the home office and see that it's lost power. My computer is off, so I suppose that the UPS turned it off (it's connected via USB). I turn off the other computers (which are all always on together without any problems with anything) which were on another UPS. I turn off both UPSs and go and flip the circuit breaker back on. I flip on the UPS and right away the curcuit breaker flips again. So, at first, I thought it was the UPS.

So I unplug all the stuff on the battery backup of the UPS (the surge protected stuff on the UPS always gets power so I knew they weren't the culprit) I turn on the UPS and the circuit breaker does NOT flip. I plug in my speakers, no flip. I plug in my monitor, no flip. I plug in the computer, it flips.

So it's the computer. Or is it the circuit breaker? I go to another room that I have confirmed is on a different circuit breaker. First, I turn off the switch on the computer's PSU. Then I plug the computer directly into the wall (no UPS or power strip). Then I flip the switch on the PSU and the circuit breaker flips.

I don't have a spare PSU lying around the house. So I'm going to go pick one up from Best Buy to test and isolate that it is the PSU. Strange given that it's a Corsair - great brand. Given that it's run perfectly fine since Sept, I'm confident it's not a short between the MOBO and the case. Also, I wasn't around to kick it or cause something in there to move.

What're the odds it's something else? And, how likely is it to have killed the rest of my system along with it? Until I get the replacement PSU, is there anything to look for visually to give me a clue?

Finally, the only load on the computer would have been a backup between two internal hard drives and a screensaver running.

Thanks,

djotaku

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2010
OK. Bought a replacement yesterday from Best Buy. It works. So apparently it was the PSU that died and it didn't appear to harm any of the other components.

There was some white gunk inside the PSU and I thought it was an exploded capacitor, but I see it in the new one too. Perhaps something to keep certain components from moving around.

Sounds like the PSU or it's cable might be faulty. Good thing you have a breaker that works on that line.
Visually, not much to see in this case. If you open up the PSU you might find aome blown capacitors inside.
I doubt the mobo was damaged because of that, because I don't think it was getting enough power in case of a short. Look for same on it(blown/swollen capacitors).
It will probably do the same with the PSU out of the system, but NOT recommended because of risk of shock.