Your question

Building a PC

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • Product
Last response: in Motherboards
August 12, 2011 5:48:42 AM

Hey,
I'm currently trying to build a PC for business (finance) and I was wondering if you guys could help me out with it?
I currently have the following components in mind
Case Silverstone FT03
CPU Intel i7 2600K
RAM 2x Corsair Vengeance 8GB 2x 4GB DDR3 1600
Video Card nVidia NVS 450
HDD WD Caviar Blue 1TB 7200RPM
SSD OCZ Vertex 2 60 GB

First is, I need a mATX motherboard for this case. I would like to be able to have 4 RAM slots and at least 2 PCIe (the long ones) and 1 PCIe (the short one)
Second, I don't know how much power I need for this, any ideas?
Third, if I purchase another NVS 450 down the line, can 2 run together to provide 8 monitor support?
Lastly, what do you think of this rig? What would you change?

Thanks

More about : building

a b V Motherboard
August 12, 2011 6:18:59 AM

What do you mean by "finance"? Will you be running very complex mathematical simulations? If not, an i7-2600K is overkill.

The NVS 450 is selected for the multi-monitor support? I don't know business graphics cards...so that's your call.

Get a Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB for the HDD. It's as fast as the Caviar Blacks for the price of a Caviar Blue.

It'll help us out if you fill this form out: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261222-31-build-advic...
Thanks.
m
l
August 12, 2011 7:02:05 AM

Thanks for the speedy response.

Approximate Purchase Date: I don't know what it means. I have not time constraint on this right now, just researching

Budget Range: Under 2000 preferably

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Finance. Equity trading but also security derivative model simulation (options and options on futures simulations), and I have some DDEs going into Excel doing live calculations during market times. I thought I didn't need a powerful CPU, but I'd like to run all of these at the same time. With my current rig, I can only choose one or the other at a time.

Parts Not Required: I don't know how much power I need or what power supply I need, can someone suggest or help me calculate the power I need?

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: ncix.com

Country of Origin: Vancouver

Parts Preferences: No real preference. I don't need gaming grade parts, but I also don't want really cheap parts that break easily.

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: No. Actually I don't know, I would like to setup a 8 monitor rig, but each card doesn't need to be really powerful. I don't know if 2x NVS 450 works to do 8 monitors.

Monitor Resolution: 2x 2400x1500 Horizontally

I want it as cheap as possible while still having quality parts. Mostly right now I need to figure out a motherboard to put into the computer preferably 4 RAM slots (up to 32 gb) and at least 2 PCIe (the long ones) and 1 PCIe (the short one), and I need to figure out how much power this will use. I think the Silverstone case only fits mATXs. Thanks
m
l
Related resources
August 12, 2011 6:20:39 PM

Just changed the build to take advantage of some sales

Corsair XMS CMX8GX3M2A1333C9 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1333 CL9-9-9-24 Dual Channel Memory Kit

Silverstone Fortress FT03B mATX Black Aluminum Case 1X5.25 SLOT-LOAD 3X3.5INT 1X2.5INT No PS

Silverstone Strider Essential ST50F-ES 500W Power Supply ATX 24PIN 120MM Fan 34A 80+ Black

NVIDIA Quadro NVS 450 by PNY 512MB GDDR3 PCI-E Quad Display Port Workstation Video Card

D-LINK DWA-556 Xtreme N Desktop Adapter 802.11B/G/N 3X3 PCI-E1 Adapter

Kingston SSDNow V100 Series 64GB 2.5IN SSD SATA Solid State Disk Flash Drive

Intel Core i7 2600K Quad Core Unlocked Hyperthreading Processor LGA1155 3.4GHZ Sandy Bridge 8MB

Hitachi Deskstar 7K3000 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA3 3.5IN Internal Hard Drive OEM

Figured out how much power I needed, just need a mATX mother board now
m
l
a b V Motherboard
August 14, 2011 10:49:41 AM

Sorry, these responses are on my office computer and I'm at home for the weekend...

Could you provide links to the above parts? (Just paste them after the item and it'll automatically get truncated.) Prices would be handy too.

Newegg.ca is also a good place for parts.

CPU: Honestly, I would be VERY surprised if an i5-2500K couldn't handle everything you're doing. It can handle very large data sets in Excel. the i7-2600K would only be useful if you're running apps that are known to be heavily multi-threaded; otherwise, it's not faster. You'll want an aftermarket cooler like the Hyper 212+ or Xigmatek Gaia if you overclock much.

Motherboard: All you need is a dual PCI-e slot slot Z68 1155. The manufacturer is what matters. I personally think you should stick to Asus, Gigabyte, or ASRock. MSI is also very good. There's no reason you need to spend more than $150 and Gigabyte has several cheaper boards. This one should work nicely for $105 + shipping: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...
It can't do SLI/Crossfire for gaming, but I don't think that's your goal.

RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) is the sweet spot price wise right now...that leaves you with a 16GB system--is that okay? I'd aim for 1600CL8 or faster, so long as the price difference isn't more than $15 or so. You'll see here that the slow RAM does have some bearing on your system, albeit not enough for a major price increase: http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/memory/display/sandy-b...

PSU: The NVS 450 has quite low power draw. Any good 500W PSU should be fine. I tend to stick to Antec, Corsair, Seasonic, or XFX. But Silverstone is VERY good too. Here's a general guideline...http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx .

Graphics: I don't know about workstation cards. You'll want to do some more research on that or consider a thread specifically devoted to them. If all you care about is the number of displays, consider devices like these: http://www.evga.com/uvplus/
Those workstation graphics cards might be overkill for merely giving you extra display outputs.

SSD: That Kingston is quite slow for an SSD and needs a firmware flash to be as reliable as most SSDs (which isn't impressive to start with). If you'll be running office and some programs off of it on a $2000 machine, I'd say go ahead and pick up a 120GB OCZ Agility 3 or so for $200. Crucial also makes some very good drives. But don't settle for anything other than a Sandforce 2200 series controlled drive (should be in drive description) or the Intel SATA III 6Gb/s drives.

HDD: That looks fine to me--mostly I'd go with prices for choices and stay away from the Seagate 7200.11's--but I don't think they sell those anymore. I'd mirror the SSD onto a partition of that drive--as backup. I generally recommend the Samsung Spinpint F3 1TB HDD. But I'm guessing you'll need the space? Otherwise, I think the Spinpoint F3 1TB is just about the best magnetic HDD out there, not that there's anything particularly wrong with the Hitachi as far as I know.

Case: That's up to you. Make sure it has adequate airflow and fits an ATX motherboard.

Wireless Adapter: That's also up to you. Any USB one should do fine.
m
l
August 14, 2011 11:18:46 AM

pls all help me i have assus k7upgrade 600 .. what grafick card are captable ti this mother board pls answer.. sorry bad english :( 
m
l
a b V Motherboard
August 14, 2011 10:19:29 PM

@rawelja--Please don't spam other people's threads. Start your own thread with your question since it's not related to the threads you're posting in. If you carry on like this, you could end up getting banned.
m
l
August 14, 2011 10:50:34 PM

You don't overclock an office computer! It's just not done. You need stability from an office PC so you never ever in a million years overclock it!

So keeping that in mind I would suggest and i5 2300 or i5 2500 (non-k) CPU and a budget h67 chipset non-overclocking motherboard.
m
l
August 14, 2011 11:08:29 PM

Thanks for the replies.
Ya, I won't be overclocking this computer. I'm just looking for fast but quiet.

PSU, I thought Silverstone because when I was reading about the case, I read somewhere that some PSU's don't fit it, and for best guess, I thought Silverstone PSU would atleast fit their own case.

CPU, I think I'll change to i5-2500K since you guys made convincing arguments
Video Card, I found out that you can run many NVS 450. The NVS 450 I think is a multidisplay specific card not workstation graphics specific card.
SSD, is there a SSD thats 60GB that you'd recommend? I just want it for a boot drive for fast startups. At first I was considering Vertex 2.
Wireless adapter, is there an internal one for PCI-Ex4 that you'd recommend? I don't really want a USB one with wires running around.

And again, thanks for replying.
m
l
August 14, 2011 11:12:24 PM

Also, how important is cooling for the i5 for the types of things I'll be doin? Can I use stock heatsink or must (or recommended) that I get additional cooling? and what would you recommend? Brand? Liquid? Thanks

NCIX has this deal on for i5 and Coolit Eco 120MM Liquid Cooling System, is it good?

For SSD I'm looking at
OCZ Solid 3 60GB 2.5IN SATA3 Sandforce SF-2281 SSD Solid State Disk Flash Drive $94.99
OCZ Agility 3 60GB 2.5IN SATA3 Sandforce SF-2281 SSD Solid State Disk Flash Drive $109.99
Corsair Force 3 Series 60GB SSD SATA3 Solid State Disk 550MB/S Read Sandforce SF-2200 $114.99
Which one is good?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
August 15, 2011 1:41:54 AM

abdussamad said:
You don't overclock an office computer! It's just not done. You need stability from an office PC so you never ever in a million years overclock it!

So keeping that in mind I would suggest and i5 2300 or i5 2500 (non-k) CPU and a budget h67 chipset non-overclocking motherboard.
That's not necessarily true. There are a lot of things one might need from an office PC and a lot of uses. I do engineering analyses on my office PC and clock speed directly affects processing time. That time is money--so I overclock because it saves money. You are under the misconception that overclocking is inherently unstable. That is not true. Bad overclocking is unstable--but so is bad building with lousy parts. So it's all about what you know and how you use it.

A stability tested overclock is as likely to be stable as an untested non-overclocked machine--more stable if you took the time to make sure you have all quality parts (especially power supply). An i5-2500K can be expected to overclock stably to 4.5GHz. If you want to be conservative, you could overclock it to 4.1GHz or so and ALWAYS stability test with temperature monitoring when you set new overclock settings.

I just wanted to point out that your "never in a million years" blanket statement above is flawed. If you're using a critical system where stability is the only focus, then an Opteron or Xeon processor might be more where you should look...but you're right, you wouldn't overclock.

Still, the K is only worth the extra $15 if you think there's a possibility that you'll overclock at some point in the future. I overclock office computers, but you probably don't.
m
l
August 15, 2011 2:55:42 AM

But overclocking will produce more heat and noise (as a result of fans spinning faster) right? So I don't think I might be overclocking, also will not overclocking extend the life of a CPU's useage hour? If extra voltage is sent to CPU will some parts wear out faster than expected?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
August 15, 2011 4:21:08 AM

PSU: It says PSUs up to 180mm deep in the case description. That's 7.1". Most 950W PSUs are under 6", so I doubt you'll have any issues. That's a pricey case though.

Performance wise, you'd gain a lot more from an $80 mATX case and a 120GB SSD with all the programs you use most often installed on it. But it's your call. Also, 120GB SSDs are typically faster than the 60GB versions because they typically use twice as many memory chips: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/m4-ssd-capacity-com...

Wireless Adapter: Sorry, I don't know too much. You'll have A LOT of trouble finding an mATX mobo with 2 PCI-e slots AND space for PCI-e x4 expansion cards. It might work, it might not. You'll have to investigate it, but I still think USB is simpler. Something like this might work: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

CPU Cooler: If you don't overclock (or only light overclocks), the stock cooler is more than enough. The i5-2500K doesn't run hot like some CPUs. Cheap liquid cooling is no better than solid air cooling, btw.

SSD: All the drives you suggested use the SF-2200 controller, which is good. I do not recommend the Solid 3 because it's too much slower than the Agility 3 and not enough cheaper. The Corsair Force 3 drives have had A LOT of stability issues with the firmware. I think that has been fixed and the have excellent customer service...but you'd have to check on that. Here's a good comparison between your options: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/sf-2200-sandforce-s...
The Agility 3 seems good to me based off of prices I've seen lately.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
August 15, 2011 4:35:52 AM

Many CPUs can overclock with none to minimal voltage increases. You can always choose to stop your overclock before that point. It will cause extra heat, but that's not a problem with this CPU unless you have no air circulation in your case or do a heavy overclock (like 4.5GHz) with a weak cooler (like the stock one).

Noise--so long as the CPU's not hot, it won't make noise. You can always buy the CPU with it's stock cooler and play around with overclocking at some point in the future when you decide you'd like a 35% performance boost (less with a lighter overclock).

Wearing out parts--yeah...to some extent. But so long as you stay within Intel specs (something like 1.375V), it shouldn't shorten the lifetime--at least not appreciably. You'll still get like 8 years out of it, which is long enough for it to have been obsolete for many years. Well worth it in my opinion, but that's just my opinion.
m
l
August 15, 2011 4:41:58 AM

For the SSD, I'm looking for ones that currently have deals. The 60GB Agility 3 is on sale then the next up is 240GB with no inbetween. There is, however, Vertex 2 120GB on sale. How does the Agility 3 compare to Vertex 2? This is all on ncix. I'm thinking if I buy them all at the store in person I could probably get some upfront discount because they work on commision
m
l
August 15, 2011 4:51:43 AM

Ok, I've taken what was said above and I've changed the build

Silverstone Fortress FT03B mATX Black Aluminum Case 1X5.25 SLOT-LOAD 3X3.5INT 1X2.5INT No PS

Silverstone Strider Essential ST50F-ES 500W Power Supply ATX 24PIN 120MM Fan 34A 80+ Black

NVIDIA Quadro NVS 450 by PNY 512MB GDDR3 PCI-E Quad Display Port Workstation Video Card

D-LINK DWA-556 Xtreme N Desktop Adapter 802.11B/G/N 3X3 PCI-E1 Adapter

ASUS P8P67-M Pro REV3.0 mATX P67 LGA1155 DDR3 2PCI-E16 1PCI-E1 USB3.0 Sandy Bridge B3 Motherboard

PC Assembly and Testing With 1 Year Limited NCIX System Warranty (PRE-CONFIG WIN. OS If Purchased)

Hitachi Deskstar 7K3000 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA3 3.5IN Internal Hard Drive OEM

Corsair XMS CMX8GX3M2A1333C9 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1333 CL9-9-9-24 Dual Channel Memory Kit

OCZ Agility 3 60GB 2.5IN SATA3 Sandforce SF-2281 SSD Solid State Disk Flash Drive

Intel Core i5 2500K Quad Core Unlocked Processor LGA1155 3.3GHZ Sandy Bridge 6MB

All at ncix. I might still change motherboard and SSD if I can find one at a deal
m
l
a b V Motherboard
August 15, 2011 4:54:35 AM

The Agility 3 provides the same IOPS as the Vertex 2, same writing throughput (MB/s), and double (SATA III) read throughput--based off of the Newegg Details on the 60GB & 120GB [Extended] varieties, respectively. Considering your options, the 60GB Agility 3 sounds like the best option, especially if you include the rebate.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
August 15, 2011 4:59:46 AM

Well...you saw my explanations for each part and you can make whatever decisions you want. I'd get 1600CL9 RAM or better since 1600CL9 is pretty standard price wise now and that 1333CL9 stuff is slow. But it's your call, of course.

I suggest Z68 with the motherboard graphics option (for troubleshooting)...but P67 is just fine if you prefer it.

Everything else looks good. Keep in mind that if you find a cheaper Antec, Corsair, Seasonic, or XFX 450W PSU that it'll do fine too. (Although I don't recommend Antec Basiq, Antec Neo Eco, or Corsair CX series--not that they're terrible).

EDIT: I mixed up "Agility 2" and "Agility 3" up above. I fixed it though. It's the Agility 3 that you'd want.
m
l
August 15, 2011 5:21:15 AM

There is a 120GB Agility 3 thats for 171 after rebate, and the current 120GB Vertex 2 is 150 ish, so I guess I can pay an extra 20 for 120GB Agility (but going to be angry if I buy it then it goes on sale)
I thought the RAM I chose was 1600, I've now changed it to Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 16GB 4X4GB DDR3-1600 9-9-9-24 Dual Channel Memory Kit

Another one I was considering was Kingston HyperX KHX1600C9D3K2/8GX 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600 XMP Dual Channel Memory Kit

So the changes to the latest build is Agility 3 120 GB for SSD and Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 16GB 4X4GB DDR3-1600 9-9-9-24 Dual Channel Memory Kit for RAM. I'm still flipping through some mother boards and PSU, theres been a lot so I haven't really narrowed down my list for alternatives yet

I'm also changed it to i5 without added water cooler, I'll run the i5 for a while and track temperature, if it does rise then I'll buy additional cooling. And I don't think I had a place to mount 120mm fan in my case anyways.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
August 15, 2011 10:44:20 PM

SSDs will always make you angry. They'll get faster and cheaper. The 60GB one can hold Windows and a few programs anyways...so it might be just fine. By the way, here's a good review of popular tweaks to save SSD space or help with speed. Many aren't worth doing: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-performance-twe...

Kingston makes some VERY good RAM. It's worth getting if it's cheaper than Corsair.

The i5-2500K on stock cooling should be just fine (unless it's REALLY hot in your office). If you decide you need a cooler, there are low profile ones.
m
l
!