How do I set the SSD as the boot drive

paul2955tw

Honorable
Dec 14, 2012
Hi, I'm currently preparing to build myself a PC and I've chosen a SSD and a HDD. I want to use the SSD for booting up the computer and loading programs and the HDD for storing.

My question is how do I do to achieve what I want?

The parts I've chosen are a 2tb SATA3 HDD and a 60GB SSD

Thanks in advance

Turn on the PC, press the "DEL" key for most PC to go the BIOS, but double check your PC manual.

Set the boot order 1st --DVD/CD, 2nd--SSD(HDD). saving and exit the bios.

Connect the DVD and SSD only, don't connect the HDD unti you done the OS installation

The_OGS

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
Cin19, is this good advice?
You know a lot of motherboards don't support OS booting directly to a SSD.
Paul, you want to place the 2TB first on the bootup list in BIOS.
Then, the OS install will claim its 100MB (hidden) System partition on the 2TB when the install begins to roll.
Then, when it asks you where you want to install Windows, you tell it the 60GB SSD.
This is good practice, always (and an important factor in running multiple operating systems on multiple harddisks).
You can have the one System partition, and then multiple Boot partitions...
Many people are unaware that Windows won't boot directly from SSD if it's the only drive installed, and that a 'conventional' harddisk is required.
Besides, with 2000GB you won't miss the 0.1GB at all...
Regards

Cin19 is correct.

The CD/DVD drive will contain the Windows installation disk so you want that to be the 1st boot device. After installation is complete you then change the 1st boot device to the SSD.

You do not want the HDD connected because the hidden system partition should always be on the same drive that the O/S is being installed on.

I agree with this. I would not want the HDD to be REQUIRED to boot.

My system reserved is on my SSD(In fact I have one on 2 of the SSD's Win7 and Win8). They both have been edited to allow either one to boot BOTH oses(So I get the selection screen from either drive.). In the case one boot loader gets damaged, I can load either OS from the other.

I would also recommend the hard drive OUT when installing. Just not a good idea to NEED the 2 drives to boot. Now if you wanted to have a bootloader(system reserved partition) on each for backup, it would make sense. Remember, even moving a partition renders the old boot loader useless as it is pointing to the wrong place(best way i can explain it.). If you ever DO loose the boot loader's ability to boot the system, the Windows DVD can fix it right up with startup repair as well.

Also, I have NEVER had a board unable to BOOT from an SSD because it sees it as another hard drive.

Because your SSD is small so that some of your programs you have to install into the HDD. When you install the programs you can chose the location ( HDD not the C: drive SSD) to install. After that you run the programs and you don't need to do anything, windows will do it for you because when you install the programs, some files call registry files into the C: and the rest files into the HDD.