New CPU fan, monitor won't display

trode22

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2010
I installed a new cpu fan into a computer that has been giving me trouble for the past few months, every time I think that I have solved the problem, something new happens. So I installed a new fan and now my monitor cant get a signal, while installing the fan I removed the ram from the board and put it back after. The computer doesn't crash at all, or make any kind of beeping sound, so I doubt I installed the components incorrectly. Before I put in the new fan, the display would work fine, but when I tried to install XP, my computer would crash.

Make sure the memory is clicked into the slots properly.

Make sure your graphics card is slotted in properly if you have one.

Remove power and switch cmos jumper and also remove bios battery for 15 mins.

Replace battery and cmos jumper and try to re-start.

When you say cpu fan do you mean the whole heatsink and fan or just the fan?

trode22

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2010

The RAM is good for sure, I'm positive I seated it properly, I'll try removing the batttery again, and I mean the heatsink and the fan

trode22

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2010
read the troubleshooting stick for problems like mine, and it still doesn't work, anyone know why?

edit : I took about both RAM sticks and turned the system on, the computer didn't make any sound, but the audio wire is connected to the mobo, is something wrong w/ mobo?

afultzy

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2011
i am having a similer problem. i just upgraded from a 1.8 celeron to a 2.8 P4 and now my monitor w show anything. im not stupid and i know i didnt do anything wrong to frie the cpu or anything. so now when i put the old celeron back into place i get the same reaction. im guessing that i might have gotten too big of a cpu.. and it might have burned something.. i really dont know what to go on to now..