Ruone Delacroix

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
Hi, I've been trying to get my problem fixed for a long while now, and I thought this would be a great place to ask for help. For starters, here are my specs:

Pentium D 3.2GHz Dual Core
2GB OCZ 800Mhz DDR2
ASUS P5G41-M LE/CSM Motherboard
XClio Great Power 600 Watt PSU
EVGA 9800GT
Creative Audio Soundblaster 24-bit
Western Digital 500GB HDD
Windows XP SP3

To be honest, my knowledge of computers isn't all that bad, but I absolutely cannot figure out what my problem is here. It started back in the spring while I was on my desktop, the display randomly went to standby. Not thinking to much of it, I turned off the computer, checked the cables and turned it back on and started doing my usual thing after checking the power management options in Windows and checking the BIOS options. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary, so I shrugged it off until the display went out again about five minutes after Windows booted up.

My first idea was that something happened to my video card. So, I popped it out, and tried booting it up. The problem still persisted. My next thought was that the PCI-e slot shorted, or that the VGA port on the MoBo was bad. I soon bought a new MoBo (I was going to anyway due to only having one working SATA port out of the two that were on the board).

So after installing the ASUS, the integrated DVI was working, but video card was not. I have my friend's computer laying around because I was cleaning all the components due to being in a house with 4 people smoking for 5 years. I thought I'd try to see if her video card (same exact model) would work in my system. The other video card gave me the same problems as mine: no working display. My next thought would be to switch the power supplies. With the video card in, there's still no display. However, the computer runs fine without it except there is about a 30 second wait for the POST screen. My friend's PSU has been in my computer for about four months now.

This morning, however, I turned on my computer and went out of the room to take care of a few things. When I got back, the computer was off. So, I turned it on again and started chatting with a few friends and going over some forums. About 10-20 minutes later, it turned off again. I swapped my XClio PSU back in there and no matter if I have the monitor plugged into the video card or the integrated DVI port, there is no display on the monitor.

Are there any suggestions for this issue? I've gone over all the cables and components, but nothing seems to work. I've been trying to get this working for the past few months, but nothing I do seems to ever work. And sorry if this seems a bit long, I just wanted to throw in as much detail as I possibly could.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Sorry about the wrong area, this place is huge! At any rate, my problem was that I completely forgot to plug in the 4-pin CPU cable. And as for the random shut offs, it was an XP update that was installed last night. I've used a System Restore, and it hasn't given me a problem yet.