Squeal when running Prime

sterdog

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2010
I just finished building this PC in an old Compaq case. It was a build possible by using some parts from the old computer and a spare MB and processor from another project with the goal of being a low cost gaming/internet machine. Here's what it looks like:

AMD Athlon X4 Propus 630 (stock 2.8 ghz, now at 3.36 ghz)
ASUS M4A88TD MB
4 GB stick Corsair 1333mhz XMS 3 ram
Old 160 GB Samsung drive
Old DVD drive
Ace Power 550 W PSU

Problem is during overclocking I went to run Prime 95 and here a wierd clicking squealing noise. I backed the proceesor back down and ran Prime, same noise. I reduced the multipler, and still the same noise. Originally I thought it was the old HDD for some reason but after opening the case and listening carefully I've traced the noise back to the PSU. I'm planning on ordering a GPU, is this going to be a diaster/is my PSU going to crap out right quick?

PS-I now Ace Power is a shitty brand, but I needed cheap over reliable.

Using poor quality psu's is asking for trouble and if its whining it could be on the way out anyway.

Depending on which GPU you are intending to buy will determine which psu you will need.

Either way I'd recommend a psu upgrade along the lines of ocz, corsair, seasonic, its worth the investment.

sterdog

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2010
Local store felt sorry for me, so there ordering me in a new Thermaltake and taking back this psu. Hopefully that will fix it. Btw I order a 6850, and the new powersupply is 650w, should work fine.

Psychoteddy

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
That squealing is the swan song of an ailing induction coil in your PSU. Failure is iminent. You'll definitely want to replace it before it goes.

Thermaltake PSUs are the bomb, you shouldn't have that issue again.

Have a bouncy man :bounce:

TRENDING THREADS