New Build, Hard Drive not Detected

joenooch31

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2011
I posted this over in "Homebuilt," thought this might be applicable here too:

Hello!

Before I get started, I just want to mention that this is my first build. Needless to say, I've been doing A LOT of reading lately!

Anyways, I got everything together last night, fired up the computer, and everything was going smoothly. I went to install Windows 7 x64, but my hard drive could not be detected. I tried plugging into other SATA ports on the motherboard, made sure the drive was getting power (it appears to be spinning, making noise,) tried using a different SATA cable and different power cable, same results each time.

Interestingly, when I go into the bios (which I did after each of the configurations mentioned above), the mother board appears to be detecting the cd drive. Like, it says "Asus blah blah blah." However, wherever the hard drive is plugged in, only a blank space appears. I have a picture, but will have to wait until later when I'm home to post it.

At this point, what should I do/try? Do I need to install hard drive drivers?
Thanks!

SYSTEM:
-Western Digital Caviar Blue WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" - Bare Drive
-GIGABYTE GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
-Intel i5 2500k