Sign in with
Your question

DDR3 Compatible Chipsets

Last response: in Components
December 15, 2010 5:46:33 PM

Hello,
Which chipsets support DDR3 ram modules that are made with 2 Giga BIT chips and which chipsets only support DDR3 ram modules that are made with 1 Giga Bit chips.

For instance, a DDR3 2 Giga Byte Ram module can be made with 16 of the 128 x 8 (1 Giga bit) chips or it can be made with 8 of the 256 x 8 (2 Giga bit) chips. But I want to know which chipsets can support the 2 Giga bit version of the DDR3 ram modules and which one cannot.
December 15, 2010 6:26:08 PM

Goldenram1 said:
Hello,
Which chipsets support DDR3 ram modules that are made with 2 Giga BIT chips and which chipsets only support DDR3 ram modules that are made with 1 Giga Bit chips.

For instance, a DDR3 2 Giga Byte Ram module can be made with 16 of the 128 x 8 (1 Giga bit) chips or it can be made with 8 of the 256 x 8 (2 Giga bit) chips. But I want to know which chipsets can support the 2 Giga bit version of the DDR3 ram modules and which one cannot.

As far as I know, there aren't any chipsets for DDR3 that will encounter problems with 2GB chips. Maybe 4 or 8 gigabyte, but DDR3 is new enough that all motherboards should supports 2 gb density. So pick AMD, nVidia, or intel they should all work.

If you want suggestions here's a couple but I don't know what your pc will be used for:
For intel I would look at P55 chipset motherboards. X58 boards are fairly expensive.
AMD I would look at 880G, 890GX, or 870 for budget if you want USB 3.0. Otherwise save a few bucks and go with 770, 780/5G, or 790GX.
December 15, 2010 8:12:08 PM

Thank you for your reply. I want to make certain you understood my question and you are talking about compatiblity of 2 giga bit chips and not 2 Giga Byte modules.

I wanted to state that there is a difference between RAM chips and RAM modules. RAM modules are made with RAM chips. It takes a certain number of RAM chips soldered onto a Printed Circuit Board to make a RAM Module.

When you stated that
"there aren't any chipsets for DDR3 that will encounter problems with 2GB chips. Maybe 4 or 8 gigabyte, but DDR3 is new enough that all motherboards should supports 2 gb density"

It seemed that your may be talking about 2GB RAM modules.

128 x 8 (1 giga bit) chips have different address lines than 256 x 8 (2 giga bit) chips. So if a 2 Giga Byte RAM module is made of 16 of the 128 x 8 chips versus 8 of the 256 x 8 chips, some chipsets may not work with the newer 256 x 8 version of the 2GB RAM module.

Chips are measured in bits (denoted by lower case "b" in gb) and modules are measured in bytes (denoted by upper case "B" in GB)

Many people mix up the term chips and modules. I am not sure if you had done the same in your reply.

My appologies if your understood my question and replied accurately.
Related resources
December 15, 2010 11:51:00 PM

They're chips in the same way a CPU is a chip. Yes, I mean ram modules. I guess I'll have to be more clear in the future...:|
May 9, 2011 10:06:06 AM

Hello,

I just Read ur Query...

I would like to publish 256X8, DDR3, 2GB/8Chip/1333MHz Module will have compatibility Issues with Intel Chipset (G41). But 1066MHz will work fine over all the Motherboards.

And we may make 2GB Memory Module using these chips combinations:

1). 256X8=8Chips.
2).128X8=16Chips.
3).256X8=16Chips(Downgraded).

Regards,
Alok Nehra
!