Replacing graphics card in Sony VAIO laptop?

jordexciu

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2010
First of all, is it even possible? I have a Sony VAIO VGN CR590 running Windows 7 64 bit.
http://esupport.sony.com/CA/perl/model-documents.pl?mdl=VGNCR590C&LOC=3

If so, I need to know which ones are compatible and which would be optimal for my computer. I don't know very much about graphics cards, I only know that mine is the bottle neck of my computer.

The main reason I want to replace it is to run Starcraft 2 smoothly. The game runs now but it's very laggy. I have 4gb ram and a duo 2.4 GHz processor.

One issue I'm worrying about is my computer overheating with a new card. It gets fairly hot now when running the game. Will this be an issue and can it be solved?

Once I've found a good card, I'll probably bring my computer into a local laptop service store and have them change it. I was reading a bit on how to open up a laptop but it seemed too risky.

If you guys could brighten my knowledge on the subject and tell me everything there is to know, that would be great! I'll most likely buy the graphics card from NCIX, as there's one near me.

Thanks!

Edit: I'm not sure how much graphics cards usually cost but I'm hoping to pay around $200 or max $300.