Sign in with
Your question

Hard drive error - Messed/Lost data reference

Last response: in Storage
December 31, 2012 10:19:02 AM

Hello everyone,

I'll try to explain my problem as short as possible, but I know I need to send you some details:

I have built a gaming rig which is up and running fine for several months until last night.

The specs are as follows:
- Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Z77 ATX Intel Motherboard
- CPU: Intel i5 2500k (@ stock speeds)
- RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3-1600 (PC3-12800) CL9 Dual Channel Desktop RAM Kit (Two 4GB Memory Modules)
- GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 FTW 4096MB
- SSD: Crucial m4 CT128M4SSD2 128GB SATA 6.0Gb/s 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) with Marvell Controller
- HDD: Seagate 2TB 7,200 SATA2 3.5"
- DVD: A generic DVD/RW internal drive from LG.

I have the SSD set as the primary disk, in which the OS is installed (Windows 7 Ultimate SP2 64 bits). This is C:.

The DVD is mapped as D:.

The 2TB hard-drive is split into 3 partitions. Two with ~250GB each, mapped as E: and F:. The rest ~1.5TB is G:.

Everything has worked flawlessly since first boot. Along office softwares and programming-related stuff, I have
several games installed, as this is the machine's main purpose. I have games from both ORIGIN and STEAM. And
as said, no problems at all until this happened.

WHAT HAPPENED: During an installation of Far Cry 3 last night, which is managed by the STEAM App, it froze and
closed during the game download. I then started STEAM again in order to it resume the download. It was ok until
reached the 3% download. Then it closed again for itself. I re-started STEAM once more. Download managed to go
from 4% to 5% when windows poped-up that window saying STEAM was not responding.

I deciced then to RESTART my computer, maybe a fresh run of STEAM would resolve that. Well, Windows couldn't
terminate itself. After 35 minutes waiting for it to FINISH, I helped it by FORCING POWER OFF (the hard way).

When I turned my system on again this happened: Windows just stayed in loop at the "Starting..." logo loading
Scene. The logo was still alive (animated) but it was looping like that for about 15 minutes when I decided to
RESTART in Safe Mode.

Loading in Safe Mode, I realized there was something wrong loading the CLASSPNP.sys file as it hanged there
for an eternity. I then used my other computer to search Google about this stuff.

I found some people suffering similar sympthoms, which made me try some of their solving methods. The first
attempt was to run Windows in Repair Mode, access the Command Prompt and run "chkdsk /f" in all of my drives.

I then realized this oddity: my G: drive was no longer mapped as it should. It was always labeled as "GENDATA"
for "General Data", but somehow it was displaying "SSD - Main Disk" which was the label for my SSD which is letter C:.

Running "chkdsk /f" on drive G: took an eternity but after many hours hanging here and there, it showed the results
with no errors found/fixed. Weird.

I then decided to RESTART my system and wait for how long it wanted to boot. 40 minutes later it then completed
the booting process but showed the "Explorer not working" bad-news-window. After another while I opened Windows
Explorer and realized that AGAIN, there was something wrong with drive G:. Now it was displaying no label at
all, but that default "Local Disk" label. When I clicked over the drive to list its content... My PC locked again.

I left it hanging there and came to my work.

The reason I believe there's something to do with the Far Cry 3 installation is because before that everything
had always been fine. Besides that I have read many complaints regarding Ubisoft's DRM protection software and
how it sometimes makes bad things to the system. And there is one more thing. STEAM was set to install the games
at the G: drive. Which became the messed one...

Anyone would have an advice on this? How could I make my G: drive work normally again?

Thanks in advance!
Erich
December 31, 2012 11:58:31 AM

Update:

I am acessing through Remote Desktop Connection, and after long hanging times I managed to go into Disk Manager and noticed the following: My 1.5 Tb partition (G: ) still appears listed beside the other two disk partitions (E: and F: ) but it got no Label and is marked as RAW instead of NTFS, which it used to be. Its background is also marked with grey slashes, what differs from the other partitions that are drawn over white background.
m
l
!