Solved

Will a gtx460 work in an asus striker extreme 680i MB

Title says it. I would really like to upgrade from my current graphics cards ( 2 8800gt's in sli) but I'm quite satisfied with my cpu, mobo, etc. I don't want to build a complete new rig so i'm wondering if the pci-e 2.0 x16 gtx 460's will work in my asus striker extreme 680i MB.

basically,
will this - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130568

work in this - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131074

Okay so I did a little bit more research and while I found nothing about my specific board I did find that it will work in PCIe 16x slots like my board has, but with a bottleneck. How bad is this bottleneck, or does said bottleneck exist at all?
10 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about will gtx460 work asus striker extreme 680i
  1. Best answer
    Why wouldn't it work? And the so called "Bottleneck" of PCIe 2.0 cards in a PCIe 1.0 slot is, for the most part, a bit of a myth.
  2. Mousemonkey said:
    Why wouldn't it work? And the so called "Bottleneck" of PCIe 2.0 cards in a PCIe 1.0 slot is, for the most part, a bit of a myth.

I was just unsure of the reverse compatability. And if it's just a myth im gonna go ahead and pick up a 460. Thx.
  3. 460SLI will fit fine... but theres no reason to buy superclocked versions. can spend $230 each and overclock them yourself to save $50 bucks. The stock clock and superclocks have same cooling, they're just pre-overclocked
  4. You do know that the 8800GT's are PCIe 2.0 cards don't you?
  5. Mousemonkey said:
    You do know that the 8800GT's are PCIe 2.0 cards don't you?

I do now lol.
  6. Shiveron said:
    I do now lol.

;) , what CPU are you using by the way?
  7. Mousemonkey said:
    ;) , what CPU are you using by the way?

e6850
  8. Can you keep us apprised please, especially if you end up bunging two of them in as I'm contemplating a pair myself.
  9. Best answer selected by Shiveron.
  10. Hey, Shiveron, did you purchase the GTX 460? I have the same Striker Extereme and thinking of getting the GTX 460 or even the 560, so i'm curious about how it's running for you

~Des
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Bottleneck Striker Extreme Graphics Product