Want to get suggestions on improving my Rig.

nmeseth

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
Not sure what stats to post, so I'm wondering if someone can shoot me a nice list of information that you will need to suggest what I can improve (Including overclocking (without danger of overheating)

I can possibly fish up a cart history of what I purchased to build the computer.

how to get these stats on windows 7 would be nice, what path to take to get the program, because I'm not very familiar with w7.

I apologize for needing so much, and I thank anyone who spends their time helping me out.

Here is a list of the newegg basket/cart that I purchased before I built the computer.

Solution
To get better gaming performance you could try overclocking your graphics card. You should be able to get a ~10% improvement in performance. There isn't a lot else you could do except replace it with a higher performance card.

Adding more ram won't improve your gaming performance at all. Unless your system is running out of ram during operation, there isn't any point in adding more.

It's best to start with a fresh install on an SSD, but some SSDs come with external enclosures and software for transferring your OS and files.

wielander

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2010

You could download PC Wizard. It will automatically scan all of the components of your computer when it starts up, and it's a useful application to have anyway.

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/pc-wizard.html

wielander

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2010
In what way do you want to improve the performance of your computer?

If you just want more processing power, your processor overclocks well. You should get an aftermarket cooler to run a decent overclock. I would suggest a Cooler Master Hyper 212+; it is quite capable and reasonably priced at $30.

http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-RR-B10-212P-G1-Universal-Heat-Pipe/dp/B002G1YPH0/ref=sr_1_1?s=gateway&ie=UTF8&qid=1285134135&sr=8-1

You won't be able to improve gaming performance without changing your graphics setup; your CPU definitely outmatches your graphics card at 1080p.

If you just want snappier performance in general computing and faster startups, shutdowns, and loading, you could add an SSD. You can get a very quick 60GB sandforce bootdrive for $128.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227542&cm_re=60gb-_-20-227-542-_-Product

nmeseth

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
Looked into upgrading my hard drive,

How would I transfer the operating system to the SSD? How would I do that exactly?

Seems like it would be a worthy cause.

Moving my operating system drive to SSD would boost my overall performance, from what I know about computers.

wielander

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2010
To get better gaming performance you could try overclocking your graphics card. You should be able to get a ~10% improvement in performance. There isn't a lot else you could do except replace it with a higher performance card.

Adding more ram won't improve your gaming performance at all. Unless your system is running out of ram during operation, there isn't any point in adding more.

It's best to start with a fresh install on an SSD, but some SSDs come with external enclosures and software for transferring your OS and files.

Solution

mattimeo005

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2010

Adding an SSD won't improve your gaming performance much either, it will simply make programs load faster. As far as benchmarks though, SSDs don't affect them much at all. SSDs are mainly for user experience, as you will notice stuff open and close much faster from the SSD than if you were opening from a standard HDD.

If you want to boost your gaming performance, you can either try to overclock it, as a previous poster mentioned, or you could also buy a second 5770 and work the two cards in crossfire. Though, with only a 500W PSU, you will probably need to upgrade there as well...