What Power Supply for i7-980X Build?

hanoveriii

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
I tried using the NewEgg.com Power Search but I couldn't figure out what to select under Type to give me the PSUs that have the 8-pin for the CPU on my motherboard. Would I select ATX12V or EPS12V or is EPS12V only for servers?

How do I narrow it down to PSU's with an 8-pin for the processor power connector?

I also know I need a 24-pin and the 8-pin for my motherboard. And I need 2 6-pin PCI-Express Connectors for my video card.

What PSU would you suggest and what Recommended PSU Wattage?

My system is as follows:
Sabertooth X58 Motherboard
i7-980X CPU
G.SKILL PI + Turbulence 12GB (6 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3
EVGA (01G-P3-1371-AR) GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) FPB EE 1GB Video Card (I won't be doing SLI)
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Series Sound Card
2 SATA 500GB 7200rpm HDs
1 Corsair P128 SSD HD
2 DVD Drives
1 Front Bay Card Reader
3 120mm case fans

sportsfanboy

Distinguished
A good quality 500 to 650w will be more than enough for a single video card system.

I've asked this before but, any reason your buying a 1000 dollar chip? Are you planning on a monstrous overclock? The reason I say that is I don't see high end cooling listed. That chip is extreme overkill in most situations, care to elaborate?

hanoveriii

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
Corsair 650 TX is great but u can Grab higher Models of It ! they can do Great for you even if u Crossfire or SLI !

oh i should say that you Choosed very Big amount of ram , its realy Overkill ( useless ) even 4GB is Enough for Heaviest Games ! what do u wanna do with that system , instead of that high Amount of ram , go for Stronger VGA card like ATI 6870 or GTX 470 !

you choosed Primary thing lower than Secondary things !

GTX 460 is great , but i justed wanted to say that Why do you realy wanna pay that Lot for 12 Gb of ram & i7 CPU ?

I suggest you 4GB 1333Mhz or 1600 DDR3 G.Skill or Corsair & i5 760 CPU

because this CPU can handle all games !
Please tell me what do you want that System for to i canhelp you save Money & get Better Performance & less trouble !

I am using the system for a lot of heavy 1080p video editing that's why I chose the chip.

I chose the 460 video card because it had good specs and reviews for a 1GB card that is not a power hog, not to hot on temps and still competitively priced. I did not choose a higher video card because I won't be doing gaming for now and any thing higher would use more power and run hotter.

As for the memory I wanted to have over 6GB and couldn't find a way to go over 6GB since the board is triple channel without going up to 12GB. I wanted to try to use 8Gb but it seemed like it didn't fit well with the triple channel board.
I like G.Skill support and the fact that this memory has Cas Latency 6, and it's DDR3 1600.
If you know of a better memory set up at DDR3 1600, Cas Latency 6, above 6GB and G.Skill then let me know?

hanoveriii

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009

I am using the system for a lot of heavy 1080p video editing that's why I chose the chip as for cooling I have a large Gigabyte Sumo 5115 with 3 120mm fans and a Zalman CNPS9900 NT 120mm 2 Ball CPU Heatsink.

Ok makes sense now. Try using the power supply calculator I supplied. Enter all fans and external usb devices as well.

sportsfanboy

Distinguished

What programs are you using? I used to do a good amount of DVD creation, and a fair amount of encoding/transcoding.

hanoveriii

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009

I actually did that before posting and on the eXtreme Power Supply site I got 497 Watts and on the ASUS website I got 700 Watts. That was a big difference?

Also when I went to NewEgg to pick a PSU I used the Power Search Feature which helps to narrow down the list but I got hung up on what to choose to narrow it down to PSU's with an 8-pin for the processor power connector? Would I select ATX12V or EPS12V or is EPS12V only for servers?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/PowerSearch.aspx?N=100007657&IsNodeId=1&SubCategory=58&GASearch=3

Question on the (eXtreme Power Supply Calculator Pro v2.5) choices:

I choose 6 sticks of DDR3 is that right if I I'm using 6 sticks of 2GB for a total of 12GB?

I also I had the choice between DRAM SSD or Flash SSD I have a Corsair P128 SSD is this Flash or DRAM?

On my two [Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB 7200 RPM SATA-3G Hard Drives] I chose High rpm SATA as opposed to, IDE 7200 rpm, or SCSI 7200 rpm is that right?

6 sticks of 2GB is a waste of time IMO.. Better stick to 3 sticks of 4GB.. That way you can capitalize on the full potential of the X58 board also.. As for video editing, even the X6 1090T will be awesome.. Take it just as a suggestion..

This will size it

http://www.antec.outervision.com/

However the sweet spot for PSU's are the 650 watt and 850 watt range.....the 750 is kinda an oddball as it's generally too small for 2 GFX cards and too too big for one. below 650, there's just ot much of a price savings and since PSU's are most efficient at 50% load (325 watts), can't think of a reason to buy anything smaller.

Zenthar

Distinguished
Sorry for the now cliché comment, but depending on what software you are using, you will want to check the Sandy Bridge preview and Anandtech. In some cases, the upcoming i5 2400 is able to equal the 980X and I'm pretty sure it won't cost 1000$. In others the 980X is still a clear winner, so it depends on your usage.

hanoveriii

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009

I think I'll go with the [SeaSonic X650 Gold 650W PSU] what do you think? Also, I noticed this PSU is about 8lbs and I will be top mounting in my case since that's how my case was designed [The Gigabyte Sumo 5115], is there any issue top monting it based on it's weight?

hanoveriii

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009

I am not using the computerfor gaming. I am using it primarily for video editing and high mega pixel photos so I fugured a decent 1GB card like the 460 is more than enough, What say you?