Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Now that the Samsung 2 TB hard drive is no more ...

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • Samsung
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
December 31, 2012 2:20:25 PM

Over the last several years I've bought about a dozen of the Samsung EcoGreen F4 2TB 3.5" drives (and their 2 tb predecessors). Seagate purchased Samsung's hard drive division, and Newegg reports the drive discontinued. I stuck with that drive because I've never had a failure. But, as they say, good things don't last forever, so I'm at a loss as to what 2 TB drive to replace it with. Reliability is of course most important, and it doesn't matter if it spins at 5400 because the drives are used for second-tier data. Suggestions, please, for a reliable replacement for the awesome Samsung 2 tb drive, that is reasonably priced. The relentless consolidation of manufacturers is not good for consumers. The Samsung 2 TB hit a low price of $69.99 on May 25, 2011 at Newegg, and for a long time they were available for $79.99. Then the typhoon hit Thailand, prices soared, Seagate bought Samsung's disk division, and the price never came back down. Last price for the drive at time of discontinuance at Newegg was $129.99, very steep compared to $79.99. Realistically, I'd like to spend $110 to $130. Thanks for any suggestions.

More about : samsung hard drive

December 31, 2012 3:00:51 PM

ronintexas said:
I swear by the Western Digital Black series drives...highly reliable. They sell cheaper drives, but none have the reliability of these. I have several that are 6 years old and run 24/7....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Well, I guess I have to pony up more $$ for a more reliable drive. I notice the black series you recommend has a 5-yr warranty, and the Western Digital red series, priced at about $60 less, has a 3-yr warranty. Now I have to make a difficult decision. After years of spending $80-$100 for a reliable 2 TB drive, now I'm faced with a $180 purchase. That seems like so much money, but on the other hand nothing is as bad as losing your data. I had always bought the Samsung drives in pairs, because an unbacked drive is very risky; a pair of these WD black drives is $360, which has me in sticker shock. Being on a tight budget makes this kind of complicated.
m
l