ASRock P67 Extreme4 LAN issue

lukethomas209

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
Every time I try to install Realtek ethernet drivers, I keep getting "the Realtek network controller was not found. If deep sleep mode is enable please plug the cable."

I have been looking around and people are saying this is caused by windows update, but I have not even connected once, and haven't updated either so I don't know what the problem is from. I had tried numerous things: trying different versions of BIOS, installing different drivers, ect...

I called asrock and they said to return it but, he didn't do any diagnostics, and I don't want to send it in if it is just a minor software problem.

flong

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010
Hi, I have just purchased the AsRock Z68 Extreme 4 Gen 3. When I installed my board Windows 7 updated the ethernet drivers. I am not sure if I have the latest drivers but everything works great and so I am not concerned.

If you are having problems and they want to replace the board that may be the best way to go. I had an Asus Z68 Pro V before this board and had problems with it and so rather than mess with it, I returned it. I am glad I did, I have had zero problems with the new AsRock board and it worked the very first time.

I am saying that you may not have a software problem, the board may be bad. I am not an expert and so take this with a grain of salt.

Good luck

lukethomas209

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
Thank you. I finally fixed it after hours and hours of messing with it. I was almost certain it was a software issue, so that is why I didn't want to return it. The guy at asrock talked on the phone with me for about a minute, and once he found out I bought it from
Newegg, he just said "return it." basically since his company didn't have to deal with, he would just tell me to return it, even if it was a minor software problem. But oh well it works great now.

flong

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010

What was the software problem? You may be able to help others.

Glad you got it fixed - great job.

lukethomas209

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
What was the software problem? You may be able to help others.

Yeah that's what I was thinking but it doesnt seem like anyone has this problem. Also I did so many things I don't know what fixed it but if anyone is having this problem:

Make sure you have no other LAN controller drivers or ethernet drivers.
Make sure you don't have the Windows update storage controller.
Download and install the driver directly on the computer your using, do not download on another computer and transfer via flash drive or what have you, it won't work.

These are all the things I did that appearently fix it.
Thanks btw

flong

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010

Don't be too hard on AsRock - if you mess with drivers things can get complicated quickly. Probably what you did was uninstall all of the old drivers then you were able to install the new drivers. But that is just a guess.

What perplexes me is that I did not have to do anything on my build with the ethernet drivers other than to install the drivers from the AsRock motherboard disk.

I did have a problem connecting to the internet via my ISP until I installed the drivers. Once I installed the drivers off of the included CD Windows 7 automatically updated them. I did struggle with the non-connection issue for awhile until I called my ISP and we worked together to figure it out. It was really my fault because once I got the system up and running I did not put in the motherboard disk.

You deserve a lot of credit for having the will and the intelligence to solve the problem on your own. Good luck with your build.

lukethomas209

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
Well the board is great, the conversation I had with the rep just seemed rushed, but that may be because the same problem has happened before. Overall I really like AsRock.

Thank you for all of your encouragement :)