Solved

Upgrading and need some help - AMD system

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
September 22, 2010 8:34:09 AM

hi all, im upgrading my step-dads computer and using as many of the older parts as possible. other than normal web, email, and small games (as in mahjong, etc) he does a LOT of work on Family Tree Maker so im trying for some good speed and stability, but he doesnt need much in the graphics department.

i just got a great deal on the MSI 790X-G45 AM3 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard on a Newegg shellshocker ($65 so i couldnt pass it up!)
--i have been looking for some good cheap DDR3 1066 to go with it. thinking about THIS Kingston 2 x 2GB. i have no preference on RAM. just stable and as cheap as possible.
--as far as the CPU, i was thinking of a triple or quad core Athlon II or Phenom II but im not sure what the best would be price vs performance.
--going to wait for a great price on a SSD for the boot drive. probably Vertex or Agility 60 gig.
--im not sure about lifetime of the IDE drives that i have, so thinking about getting a good cheap SATA drive for storage.

to go along with the MSI motherboard, i have from the old build:
Sapphire 3650 512MB
Apevia 500 watt power supply
LG dvdr (IDE)
or a Sony dvdr (SATA)
several IDE drives
speakers
keyboard and mouse
dual monitors

its all going into a CM Storm Sniper that he liked the look of. not to mention dust filtration, lots of big and quiet fans, ability to turn off LEDs, and 4 front panel USBs.

anyone see any problems or things that im missing?
thanks for any and all help!

More about : upgrading amd system

September 22, 2010 1:48:09 PM

heynow there is a new article on the front page detailing the 6 new Phenom and Athlon CPU's being released ... wait a few days till they hit as you can pickup some value there.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/phenom-ii-x6-1075t-...

Also the best gaming cpu articles produced each month are a good guide.

Hope this helps.
m
l
September 23, 2010 1:31:34 AM

already have the mobo. ;) 
with the new chips coming out will the prices on older generations nosedive?

thanks!
m
l
Related resources
September 24, 2010 11:49:09 PM

no thoughts on RAM? if i can get a great deal on ddr3 1333 or 1600, im assuming that it will just run as fast as possible but not run at its potential...

Quote:

Motherboard Memory Standard
DDR3 1200(OC)/1066/800
m
l
September 26, 2010 7:38:13 AM

brandoncatz said:
I like the deal that was on today's promotion for the 3x2gb OCZ Gold 1600 for $120, after $30 rebate. Good RAM, and as long as you can wait for days for the rebate...

thats triple channel though. is there any bad side to running that memory with an AMD system?

thanks for the info, batuchka. i like Mushkin so i put that on my wishlist in case it goes on sale.

thanks, rolli. i have the Athlon II 425, 445 and 465 on the wishlist in case of shellshocker as well as the Phenom II 545.

i know if i buy oem i will need a cooler but i already have 2 stock ones that ive never used from my 955 BE.
would one of those (or the stock cooler if i buy retail) be sufficient or should i spend the extra $30 and get something like this?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 26, 2010 10:00:10 AM

If you plan on running on stock or a light OC those would be fine
m
l
October 1, 2010 1:36:25 PM

good deal? should i do it? all i would need is a SSD as soon as i find a great deal on a 40 or so gig Vertex or Agility to use as the boot drive.

HDD
RAM
CPU

m
l

Best solution

a c 104 B Homebuilt system
October 1, 2010 2:05:12 PM

heynow said:
good deal? should i do it? all i would need is a SSD as soon as i find a great deal on a 40 or so gig Vertex or Agility to use as the boot drive.

HDD
RAM
CPU

http://oi54.tinypic.com/21dkh82.jpg

Yes! (I would)
October 1, 2010 9:27:44 PM

thanks for the help everyone. i went with the components above and hopefully will be able to find a SSD in the next week or so.
m
l
October 1, 2010 9:30:00 PM

Best answer selected by heynow.
m
l
!