Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Support for PCI-Express 2.1 on Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R

Last response: in Motherboards
August 13, 2011 12:56:27 AM

Hi everyone

I've been thinking about upgrading my current graphics card to a more powerful, however, i don't really know if my mobo can handle some of the newer cards. My current setup is:

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R (rev 2.1) F13 (BIOS Version)
ATI Radeon X1950 Pro (PCI-E 2.0)

I was hoping to update it to a newer PCI-E 2.1 card but I'm not sure if my mobo can handle a 2.1 card.

Any thoughts?

Cheers :D 
a b U Graphics card
a c 717 V Motherboard
August 13, 2011 1:13:56 AM

Welcome to Tom's Forum! :) 

It depends on what GPU you have in mind, and in most cases yep your CPU is going to 'Bottleneck' the GPU's performance.

Pictures speak louder than words:
m
l
a c 175 U Graphics card
a c 96 V Motherboard
August 13, 2011 1:54:29 AM

As far as 2.1 on a P35 board, you should be ok. It is backwards compatible and the P35 should be new enough to handle it. If it doesn't, put the old card back in and update the bios to anything newer then F13.

As for your slow CPU, seeing as we have no idea what CPU you have and where its clocked, I'll keep my mouth shut. You could have a Q9550 in there clocked at 3.8GHz for all we know.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
a c 717 V Motherboard
August 13, 2011 2:12:36 AM

I totally agree, to a point, it depends on your current CPU. The question isn't that won't bottleneck it's a question of how much.

I wouldn't be adding any GTX 5XX to a P35 MOBO. You need to post your CPU and PSU so any of us can look-up some comparative benchmarks -- takes opinion to fact. Also, you'll probably want 4GB of RAM, 2GB will also slow you down.
m
l
August 24, 2011 11:52:55 AM

Thanks guys. My plan was to get the 2.1 card and see if it worked and if i didn't i would go from there.

Also, for clarification my current setup is:

Intel Core2Duo E6750 (2.67Ghz)
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R (rev 2.1) F13 (BIOS Version)
4GB DDR2 RAM
1 TB HDD
ATI Radeon X1950 Pro
750W Power Supply (I'm 90% sure but its been so long since i opened it up :kaola:  )

I'm really just needing a 2.1 card more for being able to use DX10/11 coz my current card only does DX9.0c and the only 2.0 card i know that does at least DX10 is my sisters card (ATI Radeon HD4670) and its been a nightmare trying to find one. If possible i was hoping to update it to the Radeon HD6790 coz i know where i can get one relatively cheaply.

Any thoughts?

PS

Been away from the Internet for a while hence why i haven't posted anything :??: 
m
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
August 24, 2011 12:04:00 PM

Same motherboard, same CPU. Only that i overclocked mine to 3.4Ghz, 3.5 for about 7 days.

Do that an you will have no bottleneck with that card(i run a 5770 and never got lower fps than all benchmarks i have seen on the web, but sometimes higher).

Also in your case if the CPU supports it, the RAM will be the component that will draw you back, at list that is what happened in my case. Reached a 3.72 stable for all day tasks and games, 3.8 to run 3dmark06 and 3.9Ghz to boot into windows.

And overclocking on P35 motherboards is easy. Search the web for details and after you've done your intel gathering start asking questions when and if you hit any problems.

Also there should be(but did not check if that model comes in 2.0 standard) cards that are PCi-E 2.0 and not 2.1, those might have less issues about compatibility with older PCI-E standards.

I think mine is 2.1 and never had a problem.

Also buy a better CPU cooler. In these hot summers with your CPU overclocked you will need to keep your temps down. I have arctic freezer 7 pro. Cooler master also makes good coolers, better then the one i have. If you overclock up to 3Ghz-3.2Ghz the one you have will suffice.

One other thing, open your side panel and post what it is written on the side of your PSU(Name/model/company/wattage/amps on the 12v rail).
!