Closed

Phenom X4 running EXTREMLY hot?

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Temperature
  • Phenom
Last response: in CPUs
December 16, 2010 7:03:38 AM

A friend of mine bought a AMD Phenom X4 9850 and it seems to be running at an extremely high temperature. It sits about 55c idle which isn't too bad but when he starts a game it can reach up to 75-80c within minutes, I personally have never seen a temperature raise that fast. We used new Mascool Thermal Gel with his old Athlon stock heatsink and fan. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

More about : phenom running extremly hot

a b à CPUs
December 16, 2010 7:35:16 AM

Remount the heatsink. It's almost certainly not on properly.
Score
December 16, 2010 9:39:44 AM

I hope thats just the problem, Going to try that tomorrow when i have access to it. Thanks.
Score
Related resources
December 16, 2010 10:26:53 AM

Check for dust and the thermal paste.
Score
a b à CPUs
December 16, 2010 10:31:44 AM

Your using a stock heatsink designed for a dual core processor correct?
Score
a b à CPUs
December 16, 2010 10:47:08 PM

I would hope he is using at least the stock heatsink designed for the Phenom X4....
Score
December 16, 2010 10:50:57 PM

He is using his old ATHLON heatsink and he has a PHENOM? Get speedfan and put the fan upto 100% after reseating it.
Score
a b à CPUs
December 16, 2010 10:52:00 PM

sportsfanboy said:
Your using a stock heatsink designed for a dual core processor correct?

Good catch, I overlooked that point. What model CPU was the old heatsink from? There's quite a lot of Athlons.
Score
December 18, 2010 10:00:38 PM

Sorry for the late response, Yes it is a stock cooler from his old Athlon, I believe it was a Athlon 64 X2 4600+, I also think iv heard something about using older stock coolers on newer processors before, but the point i dont really get is all coolers do the same thing, What difference is there between this cooler and a quad core stock cooler? Possibly a different metal mixture on the heatsink?
Score
a b à CPUs
December 18, 2010 10:23:02 PM

All coolers don't do the same thing, even the stock coolers are designed with the specific cpu in mind, size of heatsink, size and airflow of fan.

I don't think 80C is a surprise with that setup, upgrade with a cheap aftermarket cooler like the Hyper 212.
Score
a b à CPUs
December 18, 2010 11:10:35 PM

thaghost101 said:
Sorry for the late response, Yes it is a stock cooler from his old Athlon, I believe it was a Athlon 64 X2 4600+, I also think iv heard something about using older stock coolers on newer processors before, but the point i dont really get is all coolers do the same thing, What difference is there between this cooler and a quad core stock cooler? Possibly a different metal mixture on the heatsink?

Normally it's just the size, and therefore surface area, of the heat sink. The fan is often larger on a CPU that produces more heat as well. I don't know exactly what stepping the 4600+ is, but there's quite the possibility that you're using a heatsink that was designed to dissipate half as much energy that the X4 is capable of outputting. The heatsink is meant to be as small and cheap as possible so there's no reason to sell a metal brick along with a low power CPU.
Score

Best solution

a c 131 à CPUs
December 19, 2010 2:26:44 PM

thaghost101 said:

Different processors have different amounts of needed heat dissipation.
Stock coolers are designed to dissipate the amount of heat output by the processor they are designed for.
Modern Phenom IIx6 coolers need to dissipate a lot more heat than previous processors. This is why the stock heatsinks for them have a lot of copper and even have heatpipes. At the same time, the Athlon IIx2 heatsinks are very small, completely aluminum heatsinks.
December 28, 2010 9:47:28 AM

Best answer selected by thaghost101.
Score
a b à CPUs
December 28, 2010 8:28:22 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!