Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Sys fan??

Last response: in Systems
September 22, 2010 11:24:37 AM

So my pc decided to randomly reboot itself in the last week or so. My friend suggested heat as the culprit. I opened sensors view and sure enough, it said my 'Sys fan' was at 0 rpm. That leads to my next question....what is my Sys fan? My case has 3 fans. It's a lancool pc-k7. Can anyone help me single out the fan they are talking about? And how to fix it? Thanks!

More about : sys fan

a b B Homebuilt system
September 22, 2010 12:43:50 PM

1. The culprit should be your proc fan.
2. Actually...0 rpm..means...not rotating at all...you can use your eyes to detect that...
3. How to fix it? hmmm...ever heard of "get a new one?"?
:D 
m
l
September 22, 2010 1:09:41 PM

Thanks for the reply, but I thought the Proc fan was called 'CPU fan' which is rotating at many rpm. Sensorsview shows me 3 fans: CPU fan, SYS fan and AUX fan. Which doesn't make sense to me because I have 3 case fans and a CPU heatsink/fan.

It may be as easy as 'get a new one', but to get a new one, I have to figure out which needs replaced. Last time I checked, all the fans were spinning.....and thats the part that is curious. Plus, in the program 'sensorsview', it lists CPU, SYS and AUX fans....and like I said, I seem to have one more fan that it is listing. Any help would be great.
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
September 22, 2010 2:24:11 PM

Finding a dead fan is easy. If it is dead, it doesn't spin...use your eyes!
If you can not identify which fan which is not spinning then you should go to the eye doctor.
ALL the fan should be VISIBLE and spinning under normal condition...you might need to open the case...! To see the proc fan..you have to open the case!

You seem to have another fan????? You can see all the fans...
Unless you have one more INVISIBLE fan which currently doesn't spin!

If all is spinning than the problem is not on your fans.
It is as simple as that.
m
l
September 22, 2010 2:40:10 PM

spiralizer said:
So my pc decided to randomly reboot itself in the last week or so. My friend suggested heat as the culprit. I opened sensors view and sure enough, it said my 'Sys fan' was at 0 rpm. That leads to my next question....what is my Sys fan? My case has 3 fans. It's a lancool pc-k7. Can anyone help me single out the fan they are talking about? And how to fix it? Thanks!
The sensors detect fan speeds only for fans connected to the motherboard. Any case fans plugged in just to the power supply (or through a speed controller and then to the psu) won't be detected.
It seems that your real question is about temperature, not fan speed. What temps are you getting?
m
l
September 22, 2010 9:15:42 PM

Newf,
Thanks for your reply without the need to be a comedian. All my case fans are spinning....I have two front panel 120mm fans and a rear 120mm. I pulled up a monitoring program that came with my motherboard, it's called Asus PC Probe. It reads:
CPU- 38c
MB- 32c
CPU fan- 4166rpm
Chassis fan- 724rpm
Power fan- 0 rpm

I'm assuming the power fan and SYS fan are the same fan but the different programs (Sensorview and PC Probe call them different things). I don't know what this 'Power fan' is. All I can think of is maybe it's my Power Supply's fan? Any ideas? I'm pretty sure that all of my fans (except the power supplies fan) are hooked up to my mobo. I have ran pc probe before and gotten rpm readings before, so I know it's more than just not being detected. Thanks for your help!
m
l
September 23, 2010 3:04:37 PM

Well, for a new wrinkle to my problem.....I ran PC Probe and got the 0 rpm reading from my 'Power Fan'. Then I rebooted and ran PC Probe again and got rpm reading for CPU, Chassis and Power fans! So I assumed PC Probe was messed up. Then I ran sensorsview and it still showed 'Sys Fan' at 0 rpm.

The only good thing is, the PC hasn't restarted itself again yet. I opened up my system while powered on and checked every fan. My 3 case fans, CPU, GPU and PSU fans were ALL SPINNING. Maybe I should just replace a case fan for added airflow. The problem with that is I don't know what my current lancool 120mm fans are rated at (rpm wise).
m
l

Best solution

September 25, 2010 1:28:32 PM

Yes, software monitor programs can be funky. I have a Gigabyte motherboard and don't like the Gigabyte monitoring software it came with. The only 3rd party monitor I have that seems to work right is "Hardware Monitor" from CPUID (you can Google it if you want it).
It looks like your temps are just fine. I don't think another case fan is needed. Since your fans run OK, I think the next step is to list your system parts (and age if you know) to see if we can find a weak hardware link in the chain. An old Windows install can also cause reboots, but is less likely.
a b B Homebuilt system
September 25, 2010 1:41:15 PM

FYI- you won't get a PSU fan reading unless your specific PSU model has the speed detector cable that you plug into the motherboard. Some PSU's have that cable, some don't. So a 0 rpm reading for the PSU fan probably means your model doesn't have that cable (or it does and you didn't plug it in).

BTW, what model PSU do you have and how old is it? A random reboot is a tell-tale sign of a dying PSU.
m
l
October 2, 2010 12:28:00 AM

Best answer selected by Spiralizer.
m
l
October 2, 2010 12:30:59 AM

My psu...along with every other part of my pc is less than 2 months old. It is an OCZ 700 watt psu. The reboots seemed to have stopped for now though. Maybe it was some glitch that worked itself out? I added 2 more gigs of ram and a HD5770 since my original post and things have been running normally. Thank you all for your advice!
m
l
!