A dedicated Physx Card with SLI

yuvalask

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2010
Hi,
I've got 2XGTX 460 running in SLI right now...
I just downloaded the Mafia2 demo, and decided it might be great to add another card just for physx.

So my question is... is it even possible to run 2 cards in SLI and another cheap one just for physx? would it be on the 3rd PCIe slot, and will it change my current X16X16 setup?
And if it's possible - which card would you guys recommend for that? one that wouldn't sweat the physx-only task

Thank you

What mother board is it??

Not trying to be rude or condescending, but some people think their 16x lanes = 16x/16x even tho the platform only supports 8x/8x.

Regardless tho, even if it goes to 8x/8x the performance will barely drop and for PhysX you don't need more than 4x really (I know because that's what mine is on).

So end result is, it should be fine.

By relieving your main graphics card(s) from the PhysX task, you should see an increase in performance, regardless of whether the PCI-e lanes get split. Tom's Hardware just did an article on PCI-e bandwidth vs. performance for reference.

Any 8000 series and up Nvidia card will suffice for dedicated PhysX. So I would go for the cheapest card that has a relatively good amount of performance/memory. Probably something in the GeForce 200 family.