Sign in with
Your question

Windows 'EASY' transfer NOT

Last response: in Storage
December 31, 2012 6:00:37 PM

A bit of Nooobie here but got so far BUT now I'm stuck and don't now how to proceed.

I have just built my first PC, and sucessfully installed Win7 to a 64gb SATA OCZ SSD.
I then connected up a SATA 1TB hard drive, which I've managed to partion.

My old PC ran WIndows XP, with a IDE 160gb HDD, and I backed all my programmes and data (100gb held on C drive ) using Windows Easy Transfer to an Extrernal HD.

I've linked up the ExtHD to new PC and tried to transfer the data over, BUT The OS is on the SSD and I get a warning message saying there's isn't enough room to transfer the files. Another issue is that I now discover the transfer only works using the same drive letter.

As a further problem, I cant get my old PC to work anymore as I cannibalised the PSU for the new pc. An old spare PSU I tried doesnt seem to want to work.

Can I wipe the SSD and try reinstall Win & with a different drive letter? If so how?
Do I need to change anything in the BIOS?

Would this work Or is there another simpler solution.

Thanks for any help.

More about : windows easy transfer

a c 79 G Storage
December 31, 2012 7:14:56 PM

Obviously putting 100GB of backup data on to a 64GB SSD is not possible.

"I backed all my programmes and data (100gb held on C drive ) using Windows Easy Transfer to an Extrernal HD"

WET cannot transfer programs, it can only transfer your data & settings.
Programs have to be installed from the installation media you used to install them previously.
By including programs in your WET backup, you have made the backup too large for the SSD.

Since you are unable to perform WET again because the old PC has been cannibalised, you can install the 160GB hard drive (which has XP on it) into your new system as a second hard drive and copy your data off it onto the SSD.

You cannot force Windows Setup to use a specific drive letter for installation. The drive letter is assigned automatically.
December 31, 2012 7:20:48 PM

phil22 said:
Obviously putting 100GB of backup data on to a 64GB SSD is not possible.

"I backed all my programmes and data (100gb held on C drive ) using Windows Easy Transfer to an Extrernal HD"

WET cannot transfer programs, it can only transfer your data & settings.
Programs have to be installed from the installation media you used to install them previously.

Since you are unable to perform WET again because the old PC has been cannibalised, you can install the 160GB hard drive (which has XP on it) into your new system as a second hard drive and copy your data off it onto the SSD.

You cannot force Windows Setup to use a specific drive letter for installation. The drive letter is assigned automatically and connot be changed either before or after installation.

Many thanks for the help.
As my old HDD is IDE and the motherboard on new PC is SATA, I'm surmising I'd need one of these adaptors?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000V72AQ4/?tag=hydra0b-21&h...
Related resources
!