System not turning on properly

DJ-Specter

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009
Hi,
I recently bought a coolermaster Haf X which is brilliant and I spent yesterday taking everything out of my antec 900 and putting it in the haf x. I was very meticulous about remembering where everything went (I put everything in the antec 900 when i got that so i've got enough experience to know how my system works and where everything should be (although i'm clearly missing something otherwise it would be working!!)).

When I turned it on though with everything in the new case, it turned on for about twenty seconds and turned off again for a few seconds, turned on again for about 5/6 seconds and turned off again and just remains off after that.

I thought i might be running too many things off molex block extensions so I re-wired everything today and made sure that nothing was putting too much strain on any single output from the power supply but the same thing still happens.

I am not using my 8800GT at the moment as i dont want to put any extra strain on anything in order to get it working but i know the system/power supply can handle it fine. I am also running the processor at its normal clock speed of 2.4GHz.

Its particularly frustrating as I know everything works together fine and i'm just missing something that i did when i took everything apart! Any light shed on the subject or suggestions are extremely welcomed!

Cheers in advance!!

Spec:
intel Q6600 @ 2.8GHz OC
8GB DDR2 RAM
Asus P5Q Deluxe Mobo
5TB HDD's
NVidia GTX 460 1GB OC
NVidia 8800GT 512MB
750Watt PS

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Check the connections to the CPU cooing fan. Your symptoms sound like overheating of the CPU. So there are three items that might contribute:

1. If the CPU cooling fan is not running at all, the CPU will overheat in 20 to 30 seconds and the system will shut down to protect it.

2. Some mobo's have an additional CPU fan safety check. If they fail to sense that the CPU fan is running (via the fan speed signal fed back to the mobo on the yellow wire of a 3-pin fan), they will shut down even though the CPU temperature signal is OK. This could happen if the fan is working but the connection to the fan speed signal line is poor.

3. In moving everything, did you remove the CPU cooler and re-install it? Maybe you did not clean off and replace the thermal paste. Or maybe the re-attachment did not quite go right and the alignment and contact of cooler with CPU is poor. This could produce real CPU overheating, causing the shut-down.

DJ-Specter

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009
Hi just wanted to apologise for not getting back after making such a long winded post.

Fortunately it wasn't the cpu overheating, it was too much dust and me not putting everything in there properly - i ended up getting impatient and taking it to a shop!

Thanks for the advice though guys.