Can't Install Windows... Disk Boot Failure, Insert System Disk and Pre

G

Hello.
I am trying to Install Windows XP on my old PC. It didn't have a CD-ROM so I used one from my new Computer. The Problem I am getting is that whenever I connect the CD-ROM, computer doesn't boot. It Ends Up giving me error : "Disk Boot Failure, Insert System Disk and Press Enter"
The Hard Disk is alright and does boot if CD-ROM is disconnected. However, After I connect the CD-ROM, Hard Disk won't Boot either, even when it is first boot device.
CD-ROM is working fine on other PC and hard disk is also quite right when CD-ROM is not connected to the PC.
I would really appreciate it if someone could help me out.
Thanks.

G

i am not sure what u mean but i have tried to change data cables... but it didn't work either...

Psychoteddy

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
Does the cable for either the HDD or CD drive look like this?

p-IDE.jpg

G

Yes both... I mean its a single cable but supports two devices...

Psychoteddy

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
Yes both... I mean its a single cable but supports two devices...

We have a winner!

There are two possible ways to troubleshoot this problem.

1.) Change the Hard Disk drive to master in your BIOS
2.) Make sure the jumper on the HDD is set to the "master" configuration.

G

thanks...
but sorry... i dont quite understand what are your solutions?

Psychoteddy

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
thanks...
but sorry... i dont quite understand what are your solutions?

In IDE systems there is a device marked as a master and another marked as a slave. Basically, if your hard drive is not made the master the computer will not attempt to boot from the hard drive. What we need to do is change this.

Do you know how to get to your BIOS?

G

First of all, I want my computer to boot from cd-rom so that I can instal windows. And yeah, I know how to get to the bios.

G

First of all, I want my computer to boot from cd-rom so that I can install windows. And yeah, I know how to get to the bios.

Psychoteddy

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
First of all, I want my computer to boot from cd-rom so that I can install windows. And yeah, I know how to get to the bios.

Ok, well let's try this then. At startup there should be a function key that you can hit to select boot order. It should appear when you boot up your computer stating something to the effect of "F10 - Change Boot Device" or something similar. Press this key while the computer displays this message and select your disk drive at the prompt.

G

No use. Still same error.

thatisme

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2010
please take a look of your cd-rom.you will see there is a jumper attach at the back of the drive..check the jumper,is it on the master-pin(is a colour plastic)dnt worry,u can see the wording.try this..