ASUS VS INTEL MOTHER BOARDS

Intel branded motherboards are typically less supportive of overclocking though this has changed recently. Even so I would still take the ASUS over the Intel due to their history of CPU support as well as overclocking. Intel seems rather fond of forcing people to upgrade to new chipsets to support new CPUs even if they use the same socket while ASUS is more willing to force that CPU to run, at least on higher end boards anyway ^_^

danraies

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011
Agreed, ASUS/Gigabyte/MSI/ASRock over Intel for motherboards. ASUS is my favorite of the four because of their customer service. I have the p8z68 deluxe and it works great. (i5-2500K, Ripjaw 16GB, nvidia card, ssd for boot, two seagate 2TB in raid1)

Idonno

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
I have the Asus Rampage III Formula motherboard and I love it. But as far as their customer service goes, it's virtually non-existent. With the exception of their notebook support, Asus support/customer service sucks just as bad as all the rest of the company's out there with the possible exception of EVGA.

I'm not writing this to trash Asus. I like their products. I also own other Asus products: A notebook, a netbook, 3-24in LCD monitors, an OverClocking station, 2-DVD burners and a BluRay burner. So while some might say I'm an Asus fanboy, I'm also in a position to know that Asus MB support sucks at least as hard as most of the rest of the MB manufacturers (but I guess a fanboy wouldn't say that).

A few examples (from personal experience) of their fantastic MB support: Asus advertises their Rampage III Formula as "Maximum Memory Supported 24GB" But then they don't support it in anyway that I can see!

There is no RAM or even combination's of RAM that equal 24GB listed in their QVL (Qualified Venders List) and if you call Asus technical support because you are having problems with the way your MB is acting, if your ram is not in the QVL they will not help!

When I called support to ask whether additional add-on cards in the in the PCIe x1 slots would have any affect on my two video cards in CrossFire in the PCIe x16 slots, I was told I would receive a callback within 2 days. REALLY 2 DAYS to get an answer to a simple question?

Well technical support never even called back, so a week later I called again and (again) was told they would call back within 2 days. When I plead my case that I called a week ago and still hadn't received a call back and I only had a simple question anyway, she (the Asus employee on the phone) asked me what the question was then as an answer told me that installing a add-on card (in this case a sound card) into any of the other PCIe slots including the x1 slots would bring the 2 x16 slots that my video cards were in down to x8.
I have since found out (with no help from Asus) that filling the PCIe x1 slots has no effect on the PCIe x16 slots what so ever.
I now have a PCIe x1 sound card, a PCIe x1 USB 3.0 card for 2 additional USB 3.0 internal ports for the front panel on my case as well as 2-video cards in the PCIe x16 slots with both video cards running at x16 NOT x8.

The point is that not only did I not receive any help from Asus tech support/customer service with my motherboard's configuration (ram and PCIe) but the only Asus employee I was able to speak to when I called tech support gave me the wrong answer! So if you want a great motherboard, go ahead and buy an Asus. Just don't do it for the support/customer service, it barely exists!

P.S. before anyone chimes in and says something stupid like "did you read the manual". I did. The manual covers the effects that the PCIe x16 slots have on one another NOT the effects that the PCIe x1 slots may or may not have on the PCIe x16 slots.

danraies

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011

I had a totally different experience with asus customer support. I called them several times before I purchased my motherboard and it they were very helpful. I also called them about a problem after my purchase and they troubleshooted with me for an hour or so on two separate occasions. The first time they decided the board was faulty and cross shipped me an RMA. The second time it turned out that I was making a stupid mistake and they still stuck with me.

I checked my manual and it tells me exactly which slots and ports share bandwidth. Not to say that it says it in all manuals...the Rampage III might just have a terrible manual. Not to discount other's experience with asus support, either, but I had a great experience with asus and that's part of the reason I recommend it to people. Maybe it's just hit or miss.

You are so much better off with an Intel board, that there is no comparison. It's like comparing a Yugo to a Ferrari.

Asus customer service (according to my own experience) SUCKS.

danraies

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011

3rd party manufacturers have a far better reputation than Intel. I know it's not conclusive proof, but newegg stocks exactly one Intel Z68 motherboard which has a total of 13 ratings. They stock 18 Gigabyte Z68 boards, 9 ASUS Z68 boards, 7 MSI Z68 boards, and 5 ASRock Z68 boards.

I've been pimping ASUS in this thread, but Gigabyte, ASUS, MSI, and ASRock are pretty close. My recommendation would be that Intel boards aren't even in the same league with those four.

^+1

Personally I like ASRock for the do it yourselfer. Gigabyte is usually great for dependability and noob friendliness :D and while I'd like to say the same for MSI they are lacking on their lower end products unlike Gigabyte or ASRock. ASUS can be more of a mixed bag as their website isn't as plain and easy to go through as ASRock and their customer service is a bit of hit and miss. Even so, for top end enthusiast parts ASUS is often the choice.

Idonno

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
I thought I should add an update since I was a little critical of Asus MB support. I just had to call them and I got fast prompt great service. I really don't know why their support sucked so bad the first few times I called maybe they were swamped from the Christmas holiday due to the fact that it was mid January - early Feb. when I called or maybe they got enough negative feedback and realized they had to get their house in order. I don't know. What I do know is this time they handled my issue very well and I was put through two level 2 MB support on the first call. Keep up the good work Asus!

Cespenar

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2010
I have my third Asus motherboard and all three manuals were weak on detail.
Plug A wire in Hole A! Plug b wire in b hole!
Get my drift?
They were not the only weak manuals I have had.

girlgeek123

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
I have had 6 different Asus motherboards. All were great! I've never had to call tech support, thank goodness, but one did arrive DOA, which NewEgg promptly RMA'd. I used to like Intel boards but since my son introduced me to Asus, I'm a believer!